Hello friends. Up for review today are two Classic Pens LB5 fountain pens with Sailor Nagahara Cross Point nibs. The two finishes are Kouseki (Metal Ore) in Diamond Brown and Tairiku (Continent) in Amethyst Mauve. There have been a lot of words exchanged as of late regarding these pens so I decided to offer my own thoughts, too, which hopefully will provide additional context and perspective.

Stephen Brown (Hey there!), Matt Armstrong from the Pen Habit (we met at DC 2016 and he's a cool guy), David from Figboot On Pens, and many others have already weighed in on these pens--some expressing that these pens are "perfection." Perhaps I will take up video reviews myself, but until then, being camera shy, here we go...

Appearance & Design: 9 (with Bio):

As you may know, the LB5 pen is modeled after the Sailor King Of Pen ST (KOP) King Profit line. Andreas Lambrou (a Classic Pens founder and well-respected pen expert) partnered with long-term friend and Sailor executive Kunio Ishizaki to bring this project to life. If Andreas' name sounds familiar to you it may be due to seeing one of his many encyclopedia style printed volumes--"Fountain Pens Of Japan" and "Fountain Pens of the World" are my two favorites. Being a special project, only 50 numbered pens shall be produced in each of the 6 colors (300 total, world-wide). A major factor with the finish of the LB5s (whether one cares for it or not) is the diffusion bonded acrylic process/product that is used for the body of the pen. Supposedly, these materials can cost 20-70x what standard acrylic blanks cost to produce for turning. This special bonding process and, I think, a cutting of the material more vertically instead of horizontally yield the fascinatingly deep color tones that seem to dance across these pens. I formally submit these process-oriented comments as lightly-researched speculation and hearsay, but I think I've got the right idea.

If pushed to reduce my comments, the word custom would truly be the biggest takeaway I could offer. The size is different than the KOP, the materials used are different in both substance and color from the KOP, the pen caps are numbered (up to 50), and, in my case, each pen came with a matching special edition volume of "Fountain Pens Of Japan" (a book also numbered to correspond with the specific finish and number of the pen I received). FYI, the only things special edition about the book are that the standard cover-jacket has been replaced with a picture of all 6 LB5 "Nature" pens and then, of course, an interior page bears the same number and pen model as each LB5 pen (hand-written and signed by Andreas, which is a nice touch--photos below). I submit all these points as a respectful pushback against those who have posted comments like, "It's a little bigger than the KOP and a different color...that does not justify the extra expense." More on that matter to come...

In the photos section I have included comparison photos of the Classic LB5s (LB5s) next to the standard KOP Profit and the KOP Professional gear (demonstrator). This should be helpful. The LB5 is a large pen. It's 5cm longer than the "already bigger than the Mb149" standard KOP Profit series. This gives the LB5 a great presence and a bigger canvas to display the specialty finish. The LB5 section is also .02mm wider than the KOP which makes a positive difference for someone with medium large hands. However, if you have small hands, or if you prefer understated pens, this may not be the pen for you. For example, admittedly, the cap band is quite elaborate and hefty, approaching gaudy, but I like it as is. Theres lots of information on the gold cap band to display so I think it deserves some extra heft since it is, after all, a special edition. (The words Sailor, # of 50, LB5, and the Japanese finish name all appear on the cap band.) FYI, there is only one finish with a white (rhodium) finish for the nib, band, clip, et. all, and thats the Tensui, which is blue.

And then finally, we come to the appearance of the cross point nib...I mean, wow! The double-layered nib provides a spectacular site to behold every time the pen cap is removed. The base layer is, of course, the same as the KOP, a beautiful 21kt soft nib (don't think flex!) that bears the Sailor anchor design as well as the labeling NAG on the right side (after the acclaimed nibmeister and designer Mr. Nagahara who has since retired from Sailor but whose legacy lives on). But it is the top layer of the nib (causing the cross point) that really makes the nib visually pop, and I really enjoy viewing the extra pair of shoulders every time I unscrew the cap.

Construction & Quality: 8

I totally fear what would happen to this pen if I dropped it on a hard surface. It doesn't feel like a tank. I have dropped a Visconti Homo Sapiens and a Delta Dolce Vita onto asphalt and both were (somehow) unscathed. This pen might shatter. It might not be fair to say this as the only way to test this is to actually drop it....not gonna happen! I believe the bonded acrylic is probably high quality, perhaps even durable; I just am scared to use it in places where there is not carpet under my feet. In all fairness, part of this hesitancy is due to the price, which isn't a quality issue.

The clip is tight, but not too tight to slip over a pocket; and, most importantly, the clip nob that touches the pen cap is quite snugly pressurized and pointed. Translation: this is a better clip than Visconti offers with its visually appealing but functionally destitute "bridge design" that makes a smooth/flat contact with the pen cap ensuring that whatever the clip latches onto slips off with ease onto the floor when bending over. Nothing is loose on this pen. The finish is well-polished with zero micro-scratches upon delivery.

Regarding the filling system quality, the LB5 and Sailor KOP (much like Waterman Edson pens) have an extended metal piece under the barrel to provide more support and even a viewing window for the CC filler. This is a nice touch and brought the quality score from a 7 to an 8. If a company is going to "go converter" they should at least be intentional about it and purposeful with the design execution. This pen does not have just a wobbly converter under the barrel that's ready to fall out at any moment. So, well-done Sailor. Photo provided.

fpn_1479924018__lb5cc.jpg

Weight And Dimensions: 8

I think this pen is just a little big for what I want to do with it. But I subjectively scored this high because I love huge pens (see my FPN Namiki Vermillon "Emperor" review for proof), and for the price, I do not expect or want a small pen. That being said, because of the incredible abilities of the cross-point nib, I desire something a little more nimble and precise in the hand to help guide precision writing. Without the cross point nib in place I would probably score this as a 9 since it's well-balanced, not silly light or silly heavy, and there's zero cramping with writing. Bear in mind, though, that if there were no cross-point nib on this pen the score would go up here but drop substantially under the nib performance section, the appearance section, and the value section.

Measurements:

Length (capped): 155.0 mm/6.10″

Length (uncapped): 137.6 mm/5.41″

Length (posted): 174.1 mm/6.89″

Diameter (barrel): 13.2 15.2 mm/0.52″ 0.59″

Diameter (section): 12.4 12.9 mm/0.48″ 0.50″

Weight (all): 44 g

Weight (cap): 16 g

Weight (body): 28 g

(Source Of Measurements: Stephen Brown's Website & YouTube Review)

Nib & Performance: 11

Perfection (or as close as is humanly possible) describes the nib and feed experience. Sorry. I gave it an 11. Deal with it! For context, I am quite familiar with the standard KOP 21kt nibs. They are very nice, precise, soft nibs (no flex) that perform extremely well with sometimes just a hint of feedback; I would rate those KOP nibs a 7 or a 7.5. On the two LB5s, both Nagahara cross point nibs perform as smooth as butter (zero feedback, which is what I like). They write under their own weight (zero pressure needed), and are perfectly tuned out of the box, which makes me suspect that Andreas and/or Kunio place a special eye on all these before they go out to customers.

Again, being custom and limited to only 50 pens each, LB5s are not mass-produced. They also bear individuals' real names instead of just a brand name, a point not to be glossed over. It's easier to allow mediocrity to pass through one's desk if he or she is simply one cog in a large wheel where responsibility for quality control can be diffused. If a Classic Pens LB5 experience stinks, all eyes go to Andreas. So he delivers quality (at least he did for me).

This nib offers a range of EEF lines up through BB or BBB lines (pending if you're using a European scale or Japanese scale of evaluation) with zero pressure. This is not a flex pen so please don't try to flex it. Line variation is determined by how one holds the pen; more specifically, the angle at which one holds the pen is what yields different results. The higher the pen is held, the finer the line. The lower the pen is held, the broader the line. Examining the cross-point nib photo close up can help explain this. If one writes more vertically (perpendicular to the page) then only the top of the two nibs is being used, but if one writes more parallel to the page then both nibs are hitting the paper at once and the marker is unleashed!

The feed has not failed to keep up even once. There are no hard starts, but it's also not an uncontrollable wet noodle whose lines take 5 minutes to dry. This is the best writing experience I have ever had, and I am an avid collector of fine writing instruments. For this reason, I need to find a way to experience the Sailor King Cobra nib to see if its three stacked nibs furthers this joy or if it somehow it provides too much of a good thing (so to speak). If you have a King Cobra nib, please post a writing sample in response to go along with my cross-point writing sample!

Filling system & Maintenance: 5

On an instinctual level I strongly believe a pen at this price should have a piston filler or some other nifty gadget on it. I have become a huge fan of pneumatic (or even touchdown style) fillers such as those used on the Visconti Opera Crystal; also, I love the rudimentary (but highly efficient) plunger-style eyedropper fillers (think Danitrio Genkai and Namiki Emporer). A cartridge/converter setup on a pen like this makes me feel like Lebron James dribbled impressively down the whole court simply to miss a layup. So close, yet so far! This would have been an awesome opportunity for Sailor to bring back their somewhat rare Realo/piston filling system, especially at this price point.

That being said, the longer I enjoy (and endure) the fountain pen passion the more I have come to appreciate the CC system. In defense of this filling system I have only two thoughts. One, Sailor does not typically offer a non-CC system, and, after all, the LB5 is a collaboration with Sailor (not a totally new pen from the ground up). And two, Andreas Lambrou isn't an idiot. The more gadgets a pen has, the more things can break. Also, with an ink-sucking nib like the Nagahara Cross Point, it is nice to be able to very quickly flush the pen and change or refill inks without having to twist a piston nob carefully back and forth 20-50x. I am becoming less "piston snobby" and more practical as a result. I mean no offense, of course, to those who are "piston only!"

What is less up for debate, however, is the fact that the CC simply has too small of an ink capacity for a nib that can write this wet. 0.7ml is not enough ink for this pen. This is a Sailor issue. However, I am curious what, if anything, Andreas said or thought on this matter. One solution (though at this price a work-around shouldn't be needed) is to use a 1.2ml Sailor cartridge. The cartridge has almost double the ink capacity of the converter and can be refilled with different color inks using ink syringes. The one positive thing about this CC system is that the Sailor KOP line (and the LB5) offers a metal ink window and an all around beefier presentation/support system for these pens than the average CC pen. Photo provided above. This brings the score to a 5 instead of a 2.

Cost / Value: 8

I wrestled with this category the longest. These pens are expensive to the point that one could have 2-3 other high-end pens for the price of an LB5, whether with or without a cross point nib. IMHO, LB5s are currently overpriced. I say "currently" because in the past new LB5s (with and without cross point nibs) were being sold by certain sellers (I personally verified this claim) for about $600 less than today's direct price from Andreas. I'm not going to name names. In defense of this, however, supply and demand is a real force. There are fewer pens available today than in 2012-2013 when I believe this LB5 "Nature" series hit the scene, so the retail price (market value price?) is what one must pay. Why would any seller drop his or her price on something desirable that's in scarcity? But, concerning an LB5 with a standard KOP nib, for my money, at full retail prices, I sympathize (but do not fully agree) with those who say things like, "There's not enough special here to justify the extra price above the standard KOP." Put another way, I would take an LB5 in trade for my standard KOP any day (even if I had to pay more to make the trade happen); but, I would not: 1) make the trade if the amount of extra money I had to pay amounted to the full retail value of the LB5, nor 2) purchase an LB5 without a cross point nib at full retail instead of a KOP at full retail.

So, why the score of an 8 instead of a 5? Well, in my case, I do have the Nagahara cross point nibs on my pens. While there are cheaper ways to put together something like this (i.e., buying a KOP with a cross point nib for about $500 less than an LB5 w/cross point), the total package of the amazingly vivid LB5 acrylic colors, the extra 5mm size, the limited edition factor (not everyone has them), the cool special edition large book that comes with it, exceptional direct service from Andreas, and a flawless writing experience make this a pen I cannot stop reaching for and must keep inked up at all times. This is why, despite the current market prices, I believe these pens are actually worth the money. I believe something can be overpriced and still worth the money. Being overly dramatic by way of example, one might pay too much money for the last loaf of bread on Earth, but it'd be worth it.

On value, I suppose only time will truly tell, for the way I will ultimately answer this question is whether or not I choose to sell these pens. I would like to have the money back in my bank account; however, offer me a check for one of them at the price I paid and I don't think I'll take it. Seriously, message me if you want to buy one with an offer. Just be prepared for me to probably say, No! This might be a far better gauge of value than a 1-10 scale. These pens invoke emotion. (Though, it's still just an earthly possession--something to remember...)

Conclusion/Average Score: 8.16

I like these LB5 pens. I have nothing more to add here by way of conclusion so please provide comments and engage one another (and me!) in a discussion about these pens.

Respectfully yours,

Ebonite And Ivory

For the record: All the below photographs were uploaded with the correct orientation and upon posting a few of them turned horizontally. Apologies. Also, I couldn't underline or italicize the book titles or my headings. And, some of my words "rantogether" when I pasted my text into the FPN window from my Word doc so I had to manually space out many of my words a second time. Then, some punctuation (like all apostrophes and ellipses and dashes) disappeared during the copy and paste to this window. I also couldn't indent paragraphs. FPN is such a blessing, but the posting process isn't always seamless. :) So please pardon any typos and thank you for reading my review!

fpn_1479920405__lb56.png

fpn_1479920718__lb51.jpg

fpn_1479921000__lb52.jpg

fpn_1479920897__lb53.jpg

fpn_1479921098__lb519.jpg

fpn_1479921667__smaller_purple_lb5_on_bo

fpn_1479921724__lb522.jpg

fpn_1479921776__lb521.jpg

fpn_1479921829__lb512.jpg

fpn_1479921892__lb513.jpg

Here are two photos of the standard KOP Profit between the two LB5s:

fpn_1479921989__lb59.jpg

fpn_1479922058__lb54.jpg

Here is a photo displaying the LB5s with some other very large pens for context. Left to right: YOL Viceroy Grand Victorian, Waterman Edson, Pelikan M1000, Visconti Homo Sapiens Maxi, Sailor KOP Professional Gear Demonstrator, Sailor KOP Profit, LB5 Diamond Brown, LB5 Amethyst Mauve, Namiki Vermillion Urushi "Emperor."

fpn_1479922185__lb510.jpg

Under the hood...

fpn_1479922513__lb511.jpg

Here is a close-up shot of the business-end of the LB5's Nagahara cross-point nib:

fpn_1479922552__lb57.jpg

fpn_1479922717__lb518.jpg

fpn_1479922759__lb516.jpg

Here's a shot of the massive book. I have two of these, one for each pen, but included is just shots of one book and the corresponding numbering system that matches the numbered pens:

fpn_1479923327__smaller_book_photo_lb5.j

fpn_1479923372__lb515.jpg

fpn_1479923405__lb517.jpg

Edited by Ebonite And Ivory

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ebonite And Ivory

• rokurinpapa

• Ghost Plane

• flipper_gv

Thanks for the review. For me the materials really do add beauty to the pen and the extra 5mm in length makes a real difference in usability.

By the way, I think you are looking to try the King Eagle nib. That is the one that is one more layer than the cross point. The Cobra is quite different, and even harder to find in my experience.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I really like the pen but using the nib requires more skill than I currently have. One of the many things I'd like to learn to do better.

Wow! This is for me the perfect collection! Nothing else to add, nothing to regret. No chinese pens, not a big amount. Just those incredible pens! Enjoy them.

Oh, by the way, could you say somethinh about your experience with the Waterman Edson?

Thanks and congratulations!

Roger

Roger

Thanks for the review. For me the materials really do add beauty to the pen and the extra 5mm in length makes a real difference in usability.

By the way, I think you are looking to try the King Eagle nib. That is the one that is one more layer than the cross point. The Cobra is quite different, and even harder to find in my experience.

Hi! Thank's for engaging with the review. Good point on the King Eagle. I'd really like to see both... :)

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

Wow! This is for me the perfect collection! Nothing else to add, nothing to regret. No chinese pens, not a big amount. Just those incredible pens! Enjoy them.

Oh, by the way, could you say somethinh about your experience with the Waterman Edson?

Thanks and congratulations!

Roger

Hi Roger! This is not my full collection, but I do agree that these pens alone would provide a complete set in some ways. Italian, German, Japanese, English, and French (although in some ways Waterman is American...).

On the Edson, I really like that pen. I may do a review on it, but there are lot's of reviews already. I have the red and the blue, but not the green, grey, etc. A complete set would be nice but for me (financially) I don't feel the need to have every single color option of the same pen. Respect, though, for those who do.

I don't want to derail this LB5 review with too much about the Edson, but I will say this for you: the Edson provides a completely different writing experience than any other fountain pen I have. It is hard as a nail, always starts, is always smooth, is less finicky than longer nibs, and the heavy weight/appearance is stunning combo that really does look like a boat crashing through the waves. One drawback, the cap (by very design) puts micro scratches on the top of the pen every time it's capped. PM if you'd like to talk more about Edsons. :)

I really like the pen but using the nib requires more skill than I currently have. One of the many things I'd like to learn to do better.

Hi Mulrich! Don't feel this way. There is no graduation of skill required before trying new pens. Except for those who think they know everything, we ALL learn something new every time we buy or try a new pen. In my opinion, the only merit to your hesitancy is maybe when something fragile or finicky is in the mix. For example, brand new FP users may spring a nib if they immediately try flex writing with all their pens, and newer pen users may want to shy away from certain vintage pens that require lots of maintenance and intricate repair. But even then, the only way to learn is just to get in there, go for it, and ask your willing/knowledgeable friends here for help, which they will give. I think anyone can try anything as long as they GO SLOW! I would even let you, a stranger, try my LB5. I would just want to be there and respectfully guide you through how to use it...going slow. So get out there and try something new! There's no experts who know everything, only liars! :)

Hi Roger! This is not my full collection, but I do agree that these pens alone would provide a complete set in some ways. Italian, German, Japanese, English, and French (although in some ways Waterman is American...).

On the Edson, I really like that pen. I may do a review on it, but there are lot's of reviews already. I have the red and the blue, but not the green, grey, etc. A complete set would be nice but for me (financially) I don't feel the need to have every single color option of the same pen. Respect, though, for those who do.

I don't want to derail this LB5 review with too much about the Edson, but I will say this for you: the Edson provides a completely different writing experience than any other fountain pen I have. It is hard as a nail, always starts, is always smooth, is less finicky than longer nibs, and the heavy weight/appearance is stunning combo that really does look like a boat crashing through the waves. One drawback, the cap (by very design) puts micro scratches on the top of the pen every time it's capped. PM if you'd like to talk more about Edsons. :)

Thanks a lot for your anwer. My little collection includes a Sailor KOP which is already impressive, a Pelikan M1005 (not my favourite), a Delta Dolcevita Oversize (excellent nib!) and an extremely well done pen: Aurora 88. But I've always dreamed of a Waterman Edson. Your words are inspiring!

Roger

Thanks a lot for your anwer. My little collection includes a Sailor KOP which is already impressive, a Pelikan M1005 (not my favourite), a Delta Dolcevita Oversize (excellent nib!) and an extremely well done pen: Aurora 88. But I've always dreamed of a Waterman Edson. Your words are inspiring!

The Pelikan M1005 demonstrator is one of my favorites! That's what makes this all so great. We all enjoy different things. :)

The Sailor KOP is certainly impressive. I do like it better than the MB149. So when the Classic LB5 came out building on the KOP and added some size, deep colors, and a nagahara cross nib...that was it for me!

PS...your collection sounds pretty great!

The amethyst is breathtaking!

Thanks. I agree! I am not sure which one I like more yet. The diamond brown looks like a sand storm on the planet Jupiter. But the mauve shimmers uncontrollably in the light! It's actually kind've dark in regular light. The mauve really comes to life in direct light with all sorts of shimmer.

That's not good. I better get to work finding a king eagle. Pm me if you've got one to sell. That nibs.com link is helpful.

Want to buy requests should go in the Classifieds or back channels.

Back on topic, I hate to see them go, but given the grief I get over fairly common large nibs, I suspect few people requested the nibs and those who did weren't really sure what to do with them. Pity, but that's what happens when companies refuse to let customers know what's available or educate how to use their products. Sort of like Bugatti discontinuing the Veyron because they get complaints there's nowhere for baby seats or groceries. Sigh...

Valid point. Had I truly known the capabilities of these cross point nibs I would have purchased one far sooner. Sailor is a longstanding company so it's kindve surprising they don't do more to enlighten people about their full nib lines. These lb5s truly are amazing because of the nagahara nibs. If they were "just pretty," that alone wouldn't be enough to cause me to reach for them as much as I do. Sailor should be shouting this from the rooftops...

I am also a proud owner of LB5 Tairiku Amethyst Mauve and Marble White (and, of course, Fountain Pens of Japan). I share your sentiment on these LB5 pens.

rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa: what do you think of the white? I have a chance to buy one at a great rate right now, but from pictures I'm thinking the two I'm showing here are better looking. Please advise with any comments you might have.

Flipper: this can be used for all writing. The more i use it the more I know how to control it. In all fairness however, if you want to write a longer letter and have smaller paper this pen may not be the best choice because you have to hold it at a high angle, almost vertical, to keep the lines fine to medium. I write big on large pads so I love this pen. It's also great for drawing!!

Thank you for the amazing review... and lovely pics...

My question as Flipper_gv asked also ... is it usable for daily writing....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter