The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

I Am A Bit Confused About This Cross. Is It Century Or Century Ii?

cross century id identify

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 3lectronite

3lectronite

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 17:04

Hi,

Yesterday I discovered some of my old pens that i had when I was younger. This is the best pen out of that collection and I have been trying to figure out what model it is and its value but some parts of it are confusing. For example I have narrowed it down to the Cross century II line, but what confuses me is the gold nib here, (or gold plated nib, i think it's the latter). No pen in the Century II line offers a golden nib with a Chrome finish body. So what is this pen exactly?

Here are the photos 

http://imgur.com/a/0qlDF

Thanking you guys in advance.

Sponsored Content

#2 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2016 - 18:22

A Frankenpen?

Erick

Currently in Rotation: Osprey Milano "M" nib running Waterman Green; Leonardo Officina Italiana Momento Zero "F" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite; Guider Mini "EF" nib running Diamine Poppy Red; Penbbs 471 "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau; Penbbs 266 "F" nib running Noodler's Heart of Darkness; Opus 88 Fantasia "F" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite.

#3 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,664 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 18:57

Or Cross may have offered the pen with a gold-colored nib at the time when the pen was manufactured. The two chrome-bodied Century pens I own both have gold-plated steel nibs.

Gold has become a little unfashionable for fountain pens, at least among younger purchasers, but that wasn't true until quite recently.

Oh, yes, to address the Subject: line directly: It's a Century II. It really is a different pen from the original Century FP.

Edited by Jerome Tarshis, 23 November 2016 - 18:58.

#4 3lectronite

3lectronite

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:44

A Frankenpen?

Erick

Hmm yes that might be a possibility but I doubt we bought 2 sets of pens, one gold and one chrome.

Or Cross may have offered the pen with a gold-colored nib at the time when the pen was manufactured. The two chrome-bodied Century pens I own both have gold-plated steel nibs.

Gold has become a little unfashionable for fountain pens, at least among younger purchasers, but that wasn't true until quite recently.

Oh, yes, to address the Subject: line directly: It's a Century II. It really is a different pen from the original Century FP.

Yeah might be the case then. I think I'll check the measurements to confirm the model. By any chance you know when Century 2 was released? I think I had this pen around 10 years ago.

Edited by 3lectronite, 24 November 2016 - 03:45.

#5 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,664 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:58

According to a not always easy to find product history on the Cross Web site, the Century II was offered in the US (home) market beginning in 1999, after being offered in foreign markets beginning in 1996. This may be a common pattern with new pen models: the Century fountain pen was introduced abroad in 1982 and then at home in 1984. And Parker test-marketed the 51 in several hot-weather countries before its debut in the United States.

http://www.cross.com/about-cross/product-history.aspx 

Edited by Jerome Tarshis, 24 November 2016 - 06:59.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cross, century, id, identify

Sponsored Content

|