Noodler's Inks - Love 'em Or Hate 'em

NickiStew

nick-stewart-noodlers01-intro.jpg

nick-stewart-noodlers02-intro.jpg

noodlers-blues-intro.jpg

For those of you who are familiar with Noodler’s inks, you’ll understand when I say that I consider this brand to be… well… very different to any other fountain pen ink brand. I have just tested 79 samples, which I’ll be posting over the coming days, and it’s been very very difficult to classify them. Even though some of them may share a common name theme, and there are some really great names here, it doesn’t mean that they may share similar behavioural patterns. Indeed far from it – they all behave totally different from one another. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Noodler's are just so leftfield. They're a bit like marmite - you either love em or hate em. I find them fascinating. Not easy to handle when using for art though! But hey! Who would honestly believe that you could get so much visual drama from just a couple of drops of ink?

Please click the links below to access the swatch cards:

https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/noodlers-inks-test-the-blacks/

https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2016/11/17/noodlers-inks-test-02-a-mix-of-magic/

https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2016/11/21/noodlers-inks-test-03-the-blues/

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Lloyd

• Cyber6

• NickiStew

Top Posters In This Topic

WOA!!. What happened to Park Red?? .... :yikes: .. It looks Pink!!... (And a lovely Pink I should add)... :lol:

I love your stuff Nick... best swatches on the net... :wub: :wub:

As much as I love my ROSi and KWZi ... Noodlers have a very special spot in my heart... ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Black and white questions, love 'em or hate 'em?

I love some Noodlers inks, I like some Noodlers inks, I'm mixed on some Noodlers inks, I dislike some Noodlers inks, and I hate some Noodlers inks. Their diversity of not just color but other characteristics leads to no singular "love"/"hate" response. As for Nathan, I may not agree on his political views but, as ink developer, he's the most passionate there ever was/is/will be.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Black and white questions, love 'em or hate 'em?

I love some Noodlers inks, I like some Noodlers inks, I'm mixed on some Noodlers inks, I dislike some Noodlers inks, and I hate some Noodlers inks. Their diversity of not just color but other characteristics leads to no singular "love"/"hate" response. As for Nathan, I may not agree on his political views but, as ink developer, he's the most passionate there ever was/is/will be.

I mostly agree with you Lloyd and especially adore Nathan's YouTube clips - he has so much love for the art form.

I do however both love and hate Noodler's 54th - love the colour absolutely hate the performance :(

Watch out though Noodlers, KWZ are gaining momentum . . . B)

Watch out though Noodlers, KWZ are gaining momentum . . . B)

mmmwwahahaha.... http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-devil-095.gif

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

While the KWZ inks look great (I haven't tried any yet), their only properties are color variations and iron-gall (with/without). Contrast this with all of the variations that Nathan offers: all level of -proofness (water, UV, laser, bullets, all 10 plagues, ebola, ...), highlighting, fast drying, non-feathering, vintage/historical, plastic feed melting, invisible, highlighting, usable on whiteboard, and on and on. Like it or not, there's no other ink company to rival the vast array of Noodlers inks.

Edited by Lloyd

Oscar Wilde

While the KWZ inks look great (I haven't tried any yet), their only properties are color variations and iron-gall (with/without). Contrast this with all of the variations that Nathan offers: all level of -proofness (water, UV, laser, bullets, all 10 plagues, ebola, ...), highlighting, fast drying, non-feathering, vintage/historical, plastic feed melting, invisible, highlighting, usable on whiteboard, and on and on. Like it or not, there's no other ink company to rival the vast array of Noodlers inks.

Good point but all of KWZ's inks work. . . ; )

I wasn't dissing the alternative brands like KWZ, I was just pointing out that it was fair to compare them. I'm sure Nathan could only release "safe" inks that are pretty, too. However, I'm very grateful that he choses to take the road never travelled.

Oscar Wilde

While I admire his ideas and like some of the colours, I dislike the sluggish flow, the pain in cleaning them and especially the drying time that lasts eternally. (I've had ink splashes that were not dried after two MONTHS.)

study2.jpg

bleed1.png

The drying times are of concern for many of them. Here is a quick study of some trees using Polar Brown. The ink was 'sticky' for a couple of days. Also of note is the that some of these inks bleed. It's a great asset for an image like this but take a look at the zoom in and you'll see that my monicker is totally blown! Not desperately good for handwriting surely? Admittedly, this was on a watercolour paper but even so?

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Superb! We don't really have economic access to so many of the range but of course, the ones we can get here in the UK are well maintained by Ross at Niche Pens. And we do have a few 'exclusives'.

I look forward to seeing all the rest of your excellent review.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Your drawings make them much more attractive!

study2.jpg

bleed1.png

The drying times are of concern for many of them. Here is a quick study of some trees using Polar Brown. The ink was 'sticky' for a couple of days. Also of note is the that some of these inks bleed. It's a great asset for an image like this but take a look at the zoom in and you'll see that my monicker is totally blown! Not desperately good for handwriting surely? Admittedly, this was on a watercolour paper but even so?

The people at Jetpens did a recent summary of Noodlers ink classifications that helped clarify the differences for me. No connection -- just a pointer to a useful information resource.

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/noodlers-fountain-pen-inks-a-comprehensive-guide/pt/902

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

The people at Jetpens did a recent summary of Noodlers ink classifications that helped clarify the differences for me. No connection -- just a pointer to a useful information resource.

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/noodlers-fountain-pen-inks-a-comprehensive-guide/pt/902

Thanks for the FYI. Really nice Comprehensive Guide. Found interesting the information of Noodler's range of Black inks, and which paper they best work with.