The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Diamine Shimmer Inks In A Pilot Varsity?

diamine shimmertastic pilot varsity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:57

I just ran out of ink in my Pilot Varsity.  I recalled that the "surprise me" ink sample from my most-recent Goulet Pens order is Diamine Shimmertastic Blue Lightning, and was getting ready to fill the Varsity with it.

I then remembered that the Varsity uses a wick in the feed, and I was wondering if that would make it impossible for the shimmer particles in the Blue Lightning to make it to the nib.  Has anybody used one of the shimmering inks (Diamine or the J. Herbin 1670 line) in a Pilot Varsity?  What was your experience?

Sponsored Content

#2 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:41

Haven't used that combo no. Best pens to use the shimmer inks are something very wet with good flow. One of my favorite pens for using shimmer inks is my Noodler's Konrad.

I have used Golden Sands, Magical Forest (If I recall correctly), Red Lustre, Brandy Dazzle and Blue Lightning (again IIRC). It has been several months since I inked one up.

I have the other 5 originals as well, but don't believe I have tried any of them. Golden Sands surprised me.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#3 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 16:16

I had previously read that the wick will actually filter the glitter particles out.  I'm not an expert, and I will certainly bow to the word of any expert who contradicts me, but as far as I know, the only pens in which glitter inks work are those with "traditional" feeds.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

#4 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:07

I had previously read that the wick will actually filter the glitter particles out.  I'm not an expert, and I will certainly bow to the word of any expert who contradicts me, but as far as I know, the only pens in which glitter inks work are those with "traditional" feeds.

Yes, that's certainly what it looks like.  :(

I opted to go for it and see what happened.  And, as you say, what happened is that the ink comes out of the nib, but the shimmer particles don't.  Well, now I know, and should anybody else hatch this particular idea in the future, they shall hopefully find this post and learn from my example.

#5 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,654 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:50

Haven't tried this but plan to when mine runs out!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#6 domzals1

domzals1

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2016 - 00:13

I have to imagine that any of the extremely cheap wick-style feeds would not be conducive to any shimmering inks simply by design. As they aren't really intended to be reused, much less inked up with particulate-laden fluids, I'd be surprised if they flowed with any consistency.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine, shimmertastic, pilot, varsity

Sponsored Content

|