I'm just starting to look into Mabie Todd pens, I have two. I was browsing on eBay and found something I am really questioning and am wondering if anyone more knowledgeable that myself can chime in. I found a pen represented as a Swan Mabie Todd but it looks like some sort of franked pen to me. Check this out and see what you think: http://www.ebay.com/...c0AAOSwLnBX6p3j.
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Swan Mabie Todd?
Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:53
The parallel cuts in the cap were for the original clip. The lateral edges of the clip pass through, and a metal spade is wedged in between on the inside to hold it on. The clip on this auction pen is incorrect, but added on in a nice way, as a washer clip a la a Parker Duofold, after unscrewing the top of the cap.
The nib looks nice. The pen is badly brassed, worse than most examples for sale. The lever (at least the inner C clip) is broken, so the lever with the attached bar might be broken.
But you are probably asking mostly about the clip, which is wrong. Here is a quick example of the pen.
Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:50
Greenie has covered most of this; I would just add that these pens were supplied clipless - the clip could be added, or was one might say optional - which with the pen you have shown is the case I have two examples here, one "with" and one "without". And so neither is a Frankenpen.