The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Swan Mabie Todd?

2 replies to this topic

#1 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:31

I'm just starting to look into Mabie Todd pens, I have two.  I was browsing on eBay and found something I am really questioning and am wondering if anyone more knowledgeable that myself can chime in.  I found a pen represented as a Swan Mabie Todd but it looks like some sort of franked pen to me.  Check this out and see what you think: http://www.ebay.com/...c0AAOSwLnBX6p3j.

Sponsored Content

#2 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:53

The parallel cuts in the cap were for the original clip. The lateral edges of the clip pass through, and a metal spade is wedged in between on the inside to hold it on.  The clip on this auction pen is incorrect, but added on in a nice way, as a washer clip a la a Parker Duofold, after unscrewing the top of the cap.

The nib looks nice. The pen is badly brassed, worse than most examples for sale. The lever (at least the inner C clip) is broken, so the lever with the attached bar might be broken.

But you are probably asking mostly about the clip, which is wrong.  Here is a quick example of the pen.

mabie-todd-swan-sf230-fountain-pen_360_e

#3 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:50

Greenie has covered most of this; I would just add that these pens were supplied clipless - the clip could be added, or was one might say optional - which with the pen you have shown is the case  I have two examples here, one "with" and one "without".  And so neither is a Frankenpen.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|