Waka-Uguisu Sailor Jentle Ink (2016)

visvamitra

In 1911, Mr. Kyugoro Sakata, an engineer from Hiroshima in Japan, was introduced to the fountain pen. Mr. Sakata was so intrigued by the design and function of the pen he decided to begin a company to craft the finest writing instruments in the world. In honor of his British friend, he chose to name the company Sailor Pen.

The Sailor Pen Company has maintained this heritage of quality and technical perfection over the years. Apart from offering very well made pens, the company has employed an ink master - pure genius who's managed to create greates fountain pen inks ever (it's my opinion not validated by research but shared by many of us). I would guess that during the years Sailor created approximately 600-800 inks (most of them under other names).

fpn_1479622609__1310052.jpg

One of internatioonally available line of Sailor inks is Sailor Jentle line. At the moment we have two of them. The new one reintroduces colors that were missed by hundreds of geeks. I'vwe bought full line of new Jentle inks and I'll review them all in following weeks. The inks are:

1. Chu-shu
  2. Fuji-musume
  3. Irori
  4. Kin-mokusei
  5. Rikyu-cha
  6. Sakura-mori
  7. Waka-uguisu
  8. Yuki-akari

Today I'll say few words about the tink I enjot due to its freshness

Waka-uguisu

fpn_1479748235__wakauguisib2.jpg

fpn_1479748247__wakauguisib.jpg

It's nice and fresh shade of yellow-green. I call these colors Zen colors because they work on me in a good way. There's some shading to it but it's not potent. The ink behaves pretty well on most papers although some feathering may be experienced on cheap copy paper.

fpn_1479748142__wakauguisu_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1479748175__wakauguisu_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1479748017__wakauhuisu_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1479748027__wakauhuisu_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco AL Sport, broad nib

fpn_1479748044__wakauhuisu_t_1.jpg

fpn_1479748050__wakauhuisu_t_2.jpg

fpn_1479748057__wakauhuisu_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco AL Sport, broad nib

fpn_1479748001__wakauhuisu_l_1.jpg

fpn_1479748009__wakauhuisu_l_2.jpg

fpn_1479748035__wakauhuisu_l_5.jpg

Kokuyo Campus Myo, TWSBI 580, stub 1,1

fpn_1479748263__wakauguisu_kokuyo1.jpg

fpn_1479748152__wakauguisu_kokuyo_2.jpg

No-name notebook, TWSBI 580, stub 1,1

fpn_1479748122__wakauguisu_empik_1.jpg

fpn_1479748129__wakauguisu_empik_2.jpg

Rhodia, TWSBI 580, stub 1,1

fpn_1479748996__wakauguisu_rhodia.jpg

Lyreco, Lamy Al-Star, broad nib

fpn_1479748159__wakauguisu_lyreco.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1479748136__wakauguisu_h2o.jpg

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old_Inkyhand

• visvamitra

• Ada

• lgsoltek

I have a problem with these inks - I expected something different. I prefer the colours shown in Lgsoltek's reviews. Waka-Uquisu seemed to be more saturated and leaning towards yellow, while Rikyu-Cha... well, I don't want to be the grumpy one, but I would like it more if it wasn't that green. I really liked your Rikyu-Cha review, it was very entertaining :) The colour itself disappointed me a bit. I have some awful connotations when I look at it, but I don't want to discourage anyone!

Waga-Uguisu, on the other hand, is too faint to my taste.

I am very curious about Kin-Mokusei. It looks like a perfect orange ink and I really don't it to be a letdown!

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

Well I'll post Kin-mousei review this weekend (some photos need to be done) but to be honest I don't know why people are so thrilled by it. I like orange inks but Kin-Mokusei wouldn't even do to my TOP 5. It's good ink but it just doesn't engage me in a way I expect :)

Kin-mokusei is the best orange EVER, I swear.

Yay!

Well I'll post Kin-mousei review this weekend (some photos need to be done) but to be honest I don't know why people are so thrilled by it. I like orange inks but Kin-Mokusei wouldn't even do to my TOP 5. It's good ink but it just doesn't engage me in a way I expect :)

WHYYY :bawl:

Seriously, I like orange, but I can't find an orange ink that suits me. Most of them are reddish, while I seek something more yellow. Something like L'Artisan Pastellier Bouton d'Or, but darker and with nice shading.

Orange Indien (maybe I have a bad batch) is dusty and watery, L'Artisan Pastellier Bouton d'Or is too yellow and doesn't shade at all, Yu Yake doesn't have the right shade (too red), Diamine Blaze Orange looks good on Goulet Pens' swab but worse elsewhere, etc., etc. I am so picky that I couldn't find anything better than the Kin-mokusei shown in Lgsoltek's review. Now I'll be waiting impatiently for your review!

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

Yay!

Seriously, I like orange, but I can't find an orange ink that suits me. Most of them are reddish, while I seek something more yellow. Something like L'Artisan Pastellier Bouton d'Or, but darker and with nice shading.

Orange Indien (maybe I have a bad batch) is dusty and watery, L'Artisan Pastellier Bouton d'Or is too yellow and doesn't shade at all, Yu Yake doesn't have the right shade (too red), Diamine Blaze Orange looks good on Goulet Pens' swab but worse elsewhere, etc., etc. I am so picky that I couldn't find anything better than the Kin-mokusei shown in Lgsoltek's review. Now I'll be waiting impatiently for your review!

I think Kin-mokusei will suit you!

I think Kin-mokusei will suit you!

Thank you! In your photos it looks really nice. I love Sailor inks, so it would be great to have another good one.

It was not my intention, but Kin-mokusei hijacked this thread ;)

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

KWZI Monarch is also on my wishlist :) I like Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange and KWZ Flame as well, but they are a bit like a different colour for me. When I think 'orange' I see a fruit and I can't get that picture out of my mind!

I like to use A4 notebooks and I usually have too little time to switch inks, so I often find myself staring at a big page full of monochromatic notes. My eyes hurt when I look at those written with Orange Indien ;) I have no problem with Sunset Yellow, though, so I believe a yellower ink may be better for me.

I like to use A4 notebooks and I usually have too little time to switch inks, so I often find myself staring at a big page full of monochromatic notes. My eyes hurt when I look at those written with Orange Indien ;) I have no problem with Sunset Yellow, though, so I believe a yellower ink may be better for me.

Do you mean something like this or is it still too orangey?

Verba volant, scripta manent

Do you mean something like this or is it still too orangey?

This one looks good, a bit like L'Artisan Pastellier Bouton d'Or, which I have been able to try thanks to Visvamitra. My problem with Bouton d'Or was the lack of shading. Does this ink shade?

I love Sunset Yellow by Robert Oster, as I mentioned. It causes some nib crud in my Targa, but I love it anyway.

By the way, what does NG stand for? National Geographic?

This one looks good, a bit like L'Artisan Pastellier Bouton d'Or, which I have been able to try thanks to Visvamitra. My problem with Bouton d'Or was the lack of shading. Does this ink shade?

I love Sunset Yellow by Robert Oster, as I mentioned. It causes some nib crud in my Targa, but I love it anyway.

By the way, what does NG stand for? National Geographic?

It has some shading, but not a significant amount.

Ng is the name of the person who commissioned Robert Oster to create this colour. He has given permission for it to be sold by Oster stockists.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Meanwhile vaguely on topic, I'm glad to see more yellow-greens as I prefer them to the blue or brown-leaning shades.

It has some shading, but not a significant amount.

Ng is the name of the person who commissioned Robert Oster to create this colour. He has given permission for it to be sold by Oster stockists.

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful.

Meanwhile vaguely on topic, I'm glad to see more yellow-greens as I prefer them to the blue or brown-leaning shades.

I'll second that. While I do enjoy dark teal inks, I am not a fan of blue-leaning greens. I find them... weird, maybe because most of the shades can be very rarely found in nature.

Yay!

Have you looked at Edelstein Mandarin? To me it is just the right shade of orange, a true orange. Bright and not subdued, but not too red either.

^^ inkyhand

Have you tried MB Golden Yellow? It's a light orange, similar to the Oster migo posted, a bit lighter and a bit yellower but definitely what I'd consider an 'orange', not a 'yellow'. Shades very nicely, even on Strathmore sketch, but not on the cheapest paper. Lovely gold sheen, which for once I don't find objectionable as it's quite appropriate for the ink color.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Have you looked at Edelstein Mandarin? To me it is just the right shade of orange, a true orange. Bright and not subdued, but not too red either.

Thanks! I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to. I must get a sample. It actually looks very different depending on a photo and a pen. I have seen it once on Goulets' page and was slightly discouraged by its paleness. However a few different reviews prove the opposite. I'll find out.

Chromantic, I bought Robert Oster Sunset Yellow instead of MB Golden Yellow, because there were these SITB issues at that time. I have it in a very broad and wet nib and it is GORGEOUS. Thank you for your recommendation! I have become a big fan of Montblanc inks.

Edit: ROSi Sunset Yellow is what I'd call a National Geographic ink ;)

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

@Old_inkyhand - I find Edelstein Mandarin boring and pale. Here's a quick smartphone photo of two oranges - Lamy's Copper Orange above, Kin-mokusei below. My type of orange is Copper Orange. Kin-mokusei is just too "sweet" :) Better quality photos with white balance and staff will be posted tomorrow or on thursday in Kin-mokusei review :)

fpn_1479810061__pomarancze.jpg