Low Polygon Style Pen

ZoidbergFr

Hello , I would like to share with you my new creation.
I spent more time on the finishing aspect , still not perfect but improving.

(come to the dark side..we have cookies :-) )

It is difficult to show the different polygon faces , as I did not use any DSLR camera but my mobile phone .

Capped just over 14cm

Uncapped 13.2cm

Section design changed to have a better grip (thinner).

Feel free to give any feedback.

post-127920-0-15092800-1479726808_thumb.jpg

post-127920-0-98129000-1479726850_thumb.jpg

post-127920-0-43634700-1479726960_thumb.jpg

post-127920-0-12439900-1479726991_thumb.jpg

Thanks !

Chris

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZoidbergFr

• richardandtracy

• markiv

• Ted A

Fascinating shape pen.

The quality of finish has its own charm, but I think it does the polygonal shape no favours. The facets need to be crisply edged, flat & highly polished to be properly shown off, while the actual finish is reminiscent of tree bark.

It is an interesting experiment, but it's almost as if the printer is not quite up to what you are trying to do - is it still a bit early in the technology cycle? I really don't know whether that's the case or it's an inherent limitation of the technology, I suspect it's because the printers are not quite there yet. Due to the printer limitations, maybe a more organic shape needs to be something you could attempt.

Good attempt at seeing what is possible though, thanks for showing it.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard ,

Your feedback is very interesting .

This is my first attempt to "low poly" style.

For sure the technology is there , I had to sand a fair bit ( I had a issue on my printer but fixed now.) explaining the "not so sharp" edges.

I will try to improve my design an reprint it with sharper edge(desing inherent).

Thanks!

Edited by ZoidbergFr

I was thinking of a look a bit like this:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/penmaking/Block_zpswqnzymzu.jpg

With sharp edged really flat facets (though a 0.3mm radius on the edges is probably nicer to hold).

[Just from a quick SolidWorks render, not a full pen model.]

Regards,

Richard.

As you say it is hard to see the edges well in the photos. But I like the idea that Richard has that it looks somewhat like tree bark. It makes an interesting, different pen. I will keep watch here to see your next project. It looks enjoyable

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Hi Richard ,

Thanks for the feedback and solidwork :-).

I am using a simpler tool called Openscad, free of charge and very light. downside is it is for engineers and maths addicts.

For the raduis , I am locked on a accuracy of 0.4mm (size of the nozzle) in X and Y dimension.

This pen has been printed in 200µm layer .

I did print a other pen , I will try to post pictures in raw state , hoping for the edges to be more visible.

An other idea would be to highlight the edges with a subtile paint job just on the edges (which I am totally unable to do...I have 2 left hands :-) ..when it comes to painting of course!)

Thanks.

Oh boy, that is looking really good. Most impressive. Nice and sharp, and the facets are really flat. I think that will show off the shape you have designed really well.

I admit the fact that software is aimed at engineers seems to be a benefit to me, not a problem. But then, being an engineer, I world, wouldn't I? I tend to only use SolidWorks as it's the system I have on my PC at work. While it is superb for doing 'engineering' shapes, it is quite awkward to model engraving on the outside of a pen.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi , just a quick update.

Thanks for giving me feedback, I had to review few things I took for granted.

I tried to change the material (switching from PLA to Co-polyester) but , although the external aspect is much better (shinny and lower interlayer space due to higher print temperature) , it is not fine to me as I want the edges to be seen, and the glossy effect really kills the volume.

I also tried additional few things regarding post processing but nothing worth showing. There is an epoxy resin from XTC3D that is supposed to really remove all the layer effect but I am not really in favor to use unfriendly materials.

I keep working (not on the shape which I am fairly happy with ) on the finishing aspect so that I can have sharp edges with flat shinny faces.

I hope to post rapidly (next week I hope an other update).

Chris

I can imagine the programmer's didn't think about making engraving something you could easily program. It would be code that bogs the product down...

The shape of the pen is interesting, I don't know if it needs much finishing to be honest. layers of coating would blunt the edges.

Hi basterma ,

you are right I am might be too picky.

I am just scared that the little interlayer spaces (I am using Fuse Deposit Modelling(FDM) printer ) get dirty due to the lack of finish.

Does anyone would like to test one 3D printed ? I can fit a #5 or #6 nib(Jowo) F or M + converter.

I can print 5 of them.

Feel free to send me a Personal message if motivated.

I would really love to have your feedback.

Christophe

I tried a different printing process.

The white and black are exactly the same shape and same material .

I am no photograph , but I could not show the edges on the black.

post-127920-0-23907000-1480587722_thumb.jpgpost-127920-0-90861600-1480587734_thumb.jpg

Hi Markiv ,

Thanks for your kind words.

The section is printed too. I did not have any stain there for the moment(only 2days I am using it).

This is unfinished , I am looking for a wax or equivalent to seal it.

Christophe