Advice On Lamy Blue-Black (Reformulated)?

antichresis

The old Lamy BlBk was my first ink. I didn't like it but it has been a long time since I last used it and my tastes have changed (I used to prefer black ink, now I avoid black ink at all costs) so I want to try it out/rediscover it as a general-purpose blue-black that's light on the pocket.

I understand that it was reformulated not long after I got my original bottle and I know that it's not iron gall and that's fine.

I'm seeking advice on whether it's good, or if I'm better off looking for another blue-black*? There's also the matter of colour. What swab online do you think is the closest match? I've gone over, I think, most of them and it's wildly different. For example, JetPens has two swabs of it that are very different (in the Blue-Black comparison and in the product page).

*I've tried maybe every blue-black on the market, outside of CdA Magnetic Blue, Manganese, the KWZs, the FPH inks (and other exclusive inks), and a few others. All of which are not sold where I live/will be too expensive to ship from a foreign retailer. I already have (a lot of) Pilot Blue-Black so do tell me if it's just going to look like that.

My back-up choices if you guys don't like Lamy BlBk are Bleu Nuit and Diamine Blue-Black both of which I also haven't tried yet. Opinions on those two would be much appreciated too.

Thanks!

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antichresis

• The Good Captain

• ink-syringe

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is my favourite ink of all time and I preferred it over the Lamy IG version. Montblanc Midnight Blue is a good one. Sailor Jentle Blue-Black is permanently in one of my 1911s.

Some more food for thought? But, the Diamine one is a belter, especially in its current reformulated version (the earlier one was a bit 'teal') and the Diamine Anniversary Collection 1864 Blue-Black is outstanding!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have been eyeing 4001 Blue-Black, but I think it's too black for my taste (relying only on swabs)? I think the blackest-grayest I'd go is Salix (my bottle). Oddly enough though, I do like Edelstein Tanzanite which is blacker than the 4001?

I think maybe I'm alright with a blacker blue-black as long as it's pretty saturated and still noticeably non black. Nothing like Diamine Eclipse. 4001, in many photos I saw, looks washed out. Fresh 4001 though is pretty amazing.

MB Midnight Blue does look quite nice. I'll have to check if it's available locally though. Same goes for the Sailor. A bit expensive though, potentially, for an everyday ink (still a student).

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Have you tried Platinum Blue-Black? IG. Fantastic ink.

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version