Tomoe River Paper Question.

JohnEbach

I have recently finally bought a Tomoe River Paper Pad A4 paper in a cream color (100 sheet). I have tried most of my current inked writers with this paper and have found that my medium nibs feather and bleed through to the other side of the paper. These pens are Montblanc, Justus, Taccia covenant, These pens are all filled with high quality inks (i.e. Montblanc and Franklin Christoph. The only pen I have found to write with that doesn't bleed thru to the other side of the paper is my Taccia Savanna with a fine nib. This pen works well with the paper and I was able to write on both sides.

Have others had this problem? All my research talked about how the paper would not bleed or feather sure doesn't seem to represent what I am seeing with the paper. The Taccia does write well and the ink doesn't feather or bleed. The Montblancs with medium nibs and Montblanc ink were like writing on a sponge. /the ink feathered and went thru the paper like it was nothing.

Have others had this problem and if so how did you get around the problem (i.e. different pens/nibs or inks).

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• TMLee

• jmccarty3

• senzen

I have not used A4 pads; I have smaller ones. I have used a variety of inks and pens on this paper without problem (I always write on both sides when using it for letters). I also use a variety of nib sizes, both German and Japanese. I'm afraid I haven't had this issue you describe; I'll watch with interest to see if others report a problem.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I've never heard of this. I know that you can see through the paper but that's not bleed through. If you're actually experiencing bleed through, I hope it's because you were sold something other than Tomoe River. The only other explanation I can think of is, the quality is lapsing

I have a 500 page package in white from Nanami Paper, no feathering or bleed through from 16 inks and nibs ranging from EF to M. What was the source of yours? Maybe we need to start tracking these differences, it' a shame as it's such a nice paper.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I use cream Tomoe paper for most of my correspondence and write on both sides. It is thin enough that I can see the writing on the other side if I hold it up to light but no feathering or bleed through. I am using fine flex nibs, F nibs, and cursive italic nibs and never had a problem. Mine are loose sheets. I would go back to your seller and see what they could do.

Somehow I recall a thread discussing variants of Tomoe River paper that were not the same as what we're used to. You may have gotten one of these. I've never seen any bleeding or feathering with any of the Tomoe River paper I have, but I don't have any loose sheets.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

My experience is the same as everyone else. You do get some see through if held up to the light, but not any kind of bleedthrough. I regularly write on both sides with no adverse effects.

I think you might have got a bad batch of paper, or another variety. Where did you buy it? Maybe you can swap for the good stuff.

You can certainly see the writing through the paper, but I've never experienced any actual bleed through on any of my Tomoe Paper. Can you post pictures?

I can't believe this is TR paper when I see this picture... I have written hundreds of pages on TR paper using all kinds of pens and inks and I have never seen such bad performance.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I've experienced it on some Tomoe River paper, but the pen and ink combination in my experience was incredibly aggressive. Noodler's Navajo Turquoise in a Noodler's Neponset doing some flex testing.

Go read this link from jmccarty3. Apparently there are bad batches in TM paper being sold by some sellers. Best beware. Only buy from highly reputable sellers. Remember if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is...

Here is a scan of the front and back of the she

attachicon.gifScan.pdf

et. Please let me know what you think after you see this.

Yikes that looks bad! Just finished writing on an entire page of Tomoe River, looks nothing like that. At some point my "beloved" Kaweco Sport decided to burp a big drop of Lamy Turquoise because hey why not... I sucked some out with a paper towel but not even then did it show on the other side... With yours it sort of pools on the surface and then goes out the back.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

There are not 'bad batches" of Tomoe River.

The paper that the fountain pen community colloquially refers to as Tomoe River is one specific varietal of a selection of varietals with many different characteristics- all called Tomoe River. THe paper we refer to as Tomoe River was never really marketed or created to be fountain pen friendly, it was for our community a happy accident.

People who did not do proper research and due diligence ended up ordering the wrong variety of "Tomoe River" and using it for their personal or retail resale projects and the results have been severely not as expected.

It is not however a "bad batch,' just an incorrectly ordered batch.

And in the seller's defense, it can be REALLY hard to tell what is what when ordering TR paper. I now order from the exact same link EVERY TIME, just to be sure. Before that, I would have had no idea which paper was FP friendly and which wasn't.

But yes, it does look like you got a batch of incorrectly ordered TR paper.

As others have commented Tomoegawa makes many different types of papers.

You can't directly purchase paper from them, you need to find a reseller, but here's a link to the english portion of their site for the paper we (FP users) want

http://www.tomoegawa.co.jp/english/e_product_tech/e_paper/index.html

http://www.tomoegawa.co.jp/english/e_product_tech/e_paper/TomoeRiverFP_English.pdf

I had a very similar experience and it was quickly apparent when I began writing this was not the same Tomoe River Paper I had used previously. Purchased from Amazon I returned it and suggested to Amazon that they check their sources for the paper.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomoe-River-Paper-100-Sheet-TMR-A4WN/dp/B00S66EXTO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.