Writing Tablet Bleed-Through Battle

bob_hayden

I don't use composition books and I don't think I have ever seen B5 paper, so I too will have to pass on those.

Tree House Pad and Paper 6X9

I do have one more 6X9 tablet, this one from Dollar Tree. The paper is made in the US of A and the source is Tree House Pad and Paper in California. It does not appear to be a Dollar Tree brand and so may be available elsewhere. The cover is half blue and half black. I won't do a full test or post any pictures because the paper is far inferior to any I have tested above. It's little more than newsprint -- rather like the paper used for grocery store flyers. I am disappointed because Dollar Tree is a national chain.

We have a few of those! You are 100% correct; but they work sort of okay with...pencils.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• Retro-user

• amberleadavis

• loubapache

I don't know about "safe" but it's a reasonable guess;-) Generally these are not marked with paper weight. I think though that loose leaf filler paper runs about 15 pounds and for the name brands the 6X9 pads seem to be pretty much the same paper as the looseleaf filler of the same brand. For 5X8 it is hard to make generalizations. I got the impression that these were often made from whatever leftovers they had at the paper factory;-) Most were pretty poor. The light blue stock that worked reasonably well was very different from any of the other papers.

• 6 months later...

In thirds, so it's about 6X3?

That's an elegant solution, and it might even work with the 5x8, as well.

• 4 weeks later...

This is great! Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Amberlea, which character in today's picture is the real you?-)

I am glad people found the review useful. I am concerned not everyone will find it. I know at the time I had searched for similar reviews and not found any, but later some turned up. It's hard to know what to search for. And many paper products have different names in different countries.

No, it's not the real me, I'm more cuddly and less orange. :)

I hope others find this too. It is wonderful. You could put a link to this in your signature.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, you did prompt me to look up how to add a signature. But I am not sure I have anything to put in it. I did similar extensive reviews of loose leaf filler paper and cheap ink cartridges. (I think you posted in the latter thread.) I have also done a lot of short pen reviews. Links to all (with explanations) would probably make for an oversize sig file. I do post a lot of cross-links. For example, I might post a link to this page in any thread I bump into that mentions inexpensive writing paper.

I am glad to hear that you are cuddly and that the orange color is subsiding. However, don't stop taking the pills until the bottle is empty;-)

Thank you for sharing your fun. It does look like you had fun.

In college, I was a frugal student, without family inheritance. I took class notes, with my Parker 45, on the blank backsides of any paper available -- fliers, printer remnants, junk mail. Bleed-though was of little consequence, as I could use only one side. It was fast and efficient. It has been my habit since. I don't even look at the back of my pages.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reviews. I have been experimenting with making little hand-sewn pocket notebooks, and came across some Top Flight product that looked . . . interesting . . . so I gave it a try.

Since I did not want to end up with vertical lines in my notebooks, I bought the Top Flight Writing Tablet Plain.

I was very pleasantly surprised. $1.59 for 100 sheets, and no bleed-thru with my Kaweco Aluminum Sport medium nib, with Kaweco black ink.

I am guessing the lined pad is probably the same paper, so I will have to pick some up for letters.

Google is your friend (4)

I am very glad you found this useful! I have been testing pens, inks, and papers for years for my own use, and trying to remember to keep notes. The fact that my results might be of use to others at FPN has inspired me to get more organized and thorough.

In the year since I posted my reviews I have noted that Top Flight is the brand carried at the other two supermarket chains in my area so grocery stores might be good places to look for it.

• 2 months later...

Had to search for Dollar Generals locally in Tucson, and then once inside, had to search to find these from Indonesia on a bottom shelf. Got one for testing and have to get back to buy more.

Considering my very limiited income and original cheapskate tendencies, my return to fountain pens after sixty years on non-use has been shadowing or bleed through. I found none on this paper with X-Fearther by Noodlers, a little with Diamine Ancient Copper, and a total failure of paper to NOT bleed with Baystate Blue. Since I need these for practice -- I guess my favorite blue will not be used.

The paper is available locally both in thin and more open lined notebook (3 hole punch) styles at $1 plus tax for 125 sheets (250 practice sides) or $4 a ream. A ganga as they say here. I do wish they would carry this with graph boxes but too many retirees, not yet beggars, cannot be choosers.

Oh yes, had to look hard for the made in Indonesia part of the labels...but found it under the bar code.

Thank you for this tip.

I reviewed three hole punched notebook filler here.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/315748-loose-leaf-notebook-filler-paper-bleed-through-battle/

The WalMart stuff is even better and also cheaper. I too am retired which may contribute somewhat to my search for cheap goodies;-) The VERY cheap ($1.92 a bottle shipped in quantity) Thornton Blue ink is very resistant to bleed through though the color is pretty tame compared to BSB.

I spoke too soon. The Thornton ink in cartridges showed very little bleed through but not so the bottles that just arrived.

• 6 months later...

So, I'm using a 6x9 Standard Writing Tablet from Dollar General (Made in India). I find the cover to be a sturdy paper but it gets in the way. Do most people fold it back or remove it?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a package of that today and I see why you are asking. Most of the pads I have one tears off the whole page, but this one is perforated and you tear along the dotted line. I found I had to tear pretty carefully to get a semi-clean top edge. Others have a flexy cover that easily folds over to the back. The cover on this one is stiff and the top 3/8" or so is glued down. It looks to me like there is no good option what to do with it.

The good news is that the paper from India is even better than that from Indonesia. I had one tiny spot of bleed through with the deadly Always Greener, and no show through with any ink. The only drawback is you only get 100 sheets for your dollar now instead of 125.

The best news is that they also have three-packs of 5X8 yellow "legal" pads, 50 sheets each, for $1, and they perform even better. The paper is from Indonesia and it has a very hard, smooth surface. This is particularly welcome as the 5X8 pads tested earlier were poor performers or hard to find.

• 2 years later...

This is an old thread but I just want to share the 5.75" x 8.75" Writing Tablet from Dollar Tree.  Very good for fountain pens. 

It is made in India.  100 sheets for $1.

1.jpeg