Perun - Przemyslaw Marcinski Custom Fountain Pen

visvamitra

KWZ inks became recognizable brand in fountain pen ink niche market. I'm glad this is the case as not only Mr and MS KWZ are nice people, they also know what they're doing and they're doing it very well. I enjoy their inks and I must admit it's nice to have polish product appreciated worldwide. We may not have car industry but we make good inks :)

Apart from having one ink maker in the country, we also have one custom fountain pen maker - Przemysław Marciński. I've discovered his website few years ago and was very impressed with fountain pens he presented. I suspected he was some kind of Mage

http://imageshack.com/a/img912/7479/Eo9iNS.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I meet him three years ago during Polish Pen Show and he didn't wear purple robes or pointed hat. I was disappointed. But then we started speaking and I discovered he was trully pasionnate about pens and artisanal work. Also, looking at his first creations I had to admit the guy was skilled. Quite a lot of people were drawed toward the table on which he displayed few acrylic pens, all well made and colorful.

Last year Przemek was chosen to create a fountain pen for users of polish fountain pen board www.forumopiorach.net. The design was debated upon between an artist and mods and finally Perun was born. Only 48 pieces were made. Well, it's not really truth. There were also special Peruns made from color ebonite (only five of them I believe).

Name

In Slavic mythology, Perun is the highest god of the pantheon and the god of thunder and lightning. He was first associated with weapons made of stone and later with those of metal. Slavic tribes believed that fossil guards of belemnites found in the ground were actually Perun's arrowheads.

fpn_1479662534__brpmg1166.jpg

Source

Perun boasts a simple, clean design clearly inspired by the fossil.

fpn_1479665284__perun3.jpg

fpn_1479665360__perun10.jpg

The pen is clipless and made of black ebonite. The only other design elements visible on the closed Perun are the pen numbers (mine is 07/48). When you uncap the pen you'll see a section. Section of this pen could be chosen in few colors (1. Cumberland, 2. Briar, 3. Denim Blue, 4. Sand, 5. Aubergine, 6. Black).

fpn_1479663210__c62fd74677cd1892med.jpg

I've chosen Sand but that was a mistake. Cumberland and Briar look much better. Sand would be great material to make whole pen with it. The most popular one was black, least popular cumberland. Here's the summary of 48 people's choices:

fpn_1479663745__sections.jpg

Construction, feel and quality

fpn_1479665400__perun8.jpg

fpn_1479665421__perun2.jpg

I like this pen as it looks appealing to me designwise but also is pretty reliable in most situations. One exception is being knocked aroung the bag with keys and other heavy objects - for such adventures I have Jinhao x750 and Kaweco AL Sport. Both halves of Perun are of equal length.The cap screws smoothly onto ebonite threads. I remember that in one of interviews Brian Grey mentioned that doing good threads was the hardest skill to master in this craft. I suspect that before one is able to create well working threads some gazillion of acrylic blocks is destroyed. ANyway Przeek mastered this skill and the threads work fine.

The pen is rather light. As I enjoy heavier pens I was surprised by how light it actually felt in the hand. It can't be really capped. I don't mind as I never cap pens but some poeple do and they won't be happy :)

The nib

fpn_1479665489__perun12.jpg

fpn_1479665537__perun_pismo.jpg

Well, the nib on this one is regular JoWo stub 1,1. I knew what to expect, I'm not disappointed but it's not the best nib ever created. Also I'm not the biggest fan of stock nibs design - I would really enjoy to see some logo on them. The nib on this one was available in all sizes (EF, F, M, B, 1.1 and 1.5). The nib writes a smooth line and is always ready for action - I haven't experienced any kind of ink starvation in this pen. It's fairly wet but I plan to improve flow on this one a bit. I prefer crazy wet pens.

Filling system

fpn_1479665449__perun11.jpg

Schmidt converter or cartridges (both long and short). Nothing exciting here.

Dimensions

Capped - 155 mm

Uncapped - 135 mm

Weight - 18 g

Summary

This pen is handmade and the craftsmanship is top notch. As most other handmade fountain pens it wasn't cheap - I've paid 125 $ for it and it was a special deal because the order was bigger. While I really enjoy this pen I do realise you can easily buy great fountain pens for less (Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom Heritage 92 etc). Personally I enjoy unique things and artisanal products. They are not, however, for every one. I perfectlu understand why someone would rather choose Pelikan or Waterman or Platinum or Pilot or other fountain pen.

On the other hand if you collect custom made fountain pens and appreciate quality I would encourage you to take a look at Przemek creations. Maybe one of them will appeal to you or maybe you have some crazy idea and look for someone who would make it real?

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• rudyhou

• dezorz

• markiv

fantastic pen, great name. this is something i should buy my borther as an xmas gift. (he is a puppet theatre director, one of his plays is a mid cult adult comedy about perun. :)

http://www.dezolutky.com/perun/asset/perun_plagat_800px.jpg

Edited by dezorz

Visvamitra, that is one gorgeous pen, and your photographs show it off extremely well.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Great looking pen indeed. Looks very similar to a Nakaya Long Cigar, although the ends are somewhat more pointed here. Is it coated with anything?

we also have this pen (I mean my husband has ;)) and we're enjoying it a lot! (Konrad writes with it often, me only from time to time, when he doesn't see ;))

I wish he had chosen a black section, it would have look more elegant ;) And I love the idea of custom hand crafted pen! It's really something worth recommendation!

- Agnieszka vel Mrs. KWZI

Well, the nib on this one is regular JoWo stub 1,1. I knew what to expect, I'm not disappointed but it's not the best nib ever created. Also I'm not the biggest fan of stock nibs design - I would really enjoy to see some logo on them. The nib on this one was available in all sizes (EF, F, M, B, 1.1 and 1.5).

Your dream may come true, as he has just announced that his nibs will be customised. Check out his facebook page :)

Well, FIAT has factories in Poland but it's not polish brand :) It's italian one :)

before 90s polish brand fabryka samochodow osobowych was making polski fiat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Actualli it's Sailor Brown from 2010 :)

no wonder it looks nice. i actually been looking for it for a while now, but only to find out this color is no longer in production.

-rudy-

Nice pen and always good to learn of new Pen Makers.!

Not to go off topic but that camera has a ****load of dust on the sensor!