The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mont Blanc Parts

parts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LAMBCHOP1

LAMBCHOP1

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 16:28

Hi

I'm new to this forum.

I need someone's advise on my Mont Blanc

Fountain Pen.

I have a Mont Blanc 149 that I really like

and it is a Vintage Pen pre 1991 as it does not

have a serial number.

My other Mont Blanc Fountain Pen

uses a ink converter.

Recently my Pen came apart and a very small gold ring

was later found. At that time I did not realize it was from the Pen. In any case the Pen now comes apart and I can not find the small gold ring which screws into the Pen.

Should I send it back to Mont Blanc for repair or can I buy the small gold ring somewhere ?

Thanks

Lambchop1

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 16:47

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.  What gold ring came off?  How did the 149 come apart?  There isn't a gold ring that screws onto most 149s (there may have been a wedding set 149 that had a gold ring as pert of the cap band but I'm pretty sure that was only on the 146).

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 17:25

Hello and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:

I too am puzzled. Did the gold ring come off the pen that has a converter? I fear that the only way to get it fixed will be to send it to Montblanc as parts aren't normally sold anywhere.

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 18:12

You can sometimes find a section for the converter pen on ebay, and you would have to pay upwards of $50 for it.  If you send the pen to Montblanc for service, it will cost quite a bit, the last I sent one it was $80 plus shipping.  Typically they send a replacement pen with your old nib that they put into the replacement.  For this reason, you might hesitate to send a pen with an older piston mechanism, because they will send you back a new pen with a new mechanism.

You might be lucky enough to find the gold clutch ring on the internet.  This ring makes a friction hold with the inner cap.  There is an inner cap inside the cap that seals the nib and keeps the nib moist.  The cap topper with the white star screws in to hold the inner cap in place.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,622 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 19:12

I ended up missing the ring of a MB 32something, and Penboard.de wanted 35 E....which was more than I paid for it, some 7 years ago.

MB wanted at least 80E just to look at it.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 20 November 2016 - 19:22.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#6 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 23:56

I've been trying to help my boss repair a 1960s 149 with a cracked barrel. It's a family heirloom so he'd like to make it functional.
Should he just throw in the towel and send it to the factory? I don't quite know why but he's reluctant to send it out of California.

#7 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• 26,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 00:15

I've been trying to help my boss repair a 1960s 149 with a cracked barrel. It's a family heirloom so he'd like to make it functional.
Should he just throw in the towel and send it to the factory? I don't quite know why but he's reluctant to send it out of California.

It's doubtful that Montblanc can do anything for a 1960s Montblanc but it's worth asking them. Brad Torelli might be able to help stateside.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 00:22

I've contacted him. Fingers crossed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts