Problem With Japanese Seller Engeika, For A Sailor Fountain Pen

mx-fan

I recently ordered my first Sailor fountain pen. I bought it from Japanese seller Engeika. The rather costly pen is advertised by Engeika as one that's shipped with the Sailor converter.

This past Wednesday, the mailman handed me a fairly large, stiff paper bag used by Engeika for shipping pens. Inside there was no packing, just the Sailor box sitting at the bottom of the bag. I saw no holes in the bag. The problem though was that Engeika didn't include the Sailor converter. I looked everywhere but no converter to be found.

I sent an email message to Engeika about the missing converter and requested that they send me it since I had paid for it.

Not getting any reply from Engeika, I first thought that maybe that seller closed the shop for a vacation. I wondered too if Engeika thinks they never make a mistake in shipping a pen. I just don't know what's wrong. Maybe I have to wait longer for a reply from Engeika?

[i like the pen and have only been using it as a dip pen until I get a converter in some way.]

What would you think of this matter and how to resolve it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Without music life would be a mistake.

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844-1900; German philosopher, poet, composer and classical philologist)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mx-fan

• ehemem

• Erik Dalton

• jar

There have been reports of troubles with Engelika recently. I've stayed away from them. Check some of the other threads to see others experiences.

Buying a converter or cartridges off Amazon, Jet pens or others, will save you a lot of aggravation, and your pen will be up and running much more quickly.

Yup. You bought the pen cheaply so just buy the appropriate converter and enjoy it. Life's too short to get upset over a missing converter.

Thanks Old Salt for your advice.

Jar, the pen wasn't so cheap and for pen and converter, the shipping fee for me here in the US was $12! [i bought the Sailor Japanese quince wood fountain pen, a smallish pen measuring 130 mm closed.]

For the Sailor pen I bought, are there different sizes of Sailor converters or just 1 size?

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844-1900; German philosopher, poet, composer and classical philologist)

Hum...

Some years ago I won an Engeika auction for a Sailor Realo. It was shipped out to me and arrived in decent time. When I opened the box, there was a Sailor Realo sitting therein, but there was also a Sailor converter. Needless to say I was somewhat confused and really had to reassure myself that the pen was indeed a Realo...

Have you checked under the box where the cartridge is stored?

This could be it. However only if the converter is stored with one of those plastic zips or none at all. With the standard converter box, if it would be painful obvious to check under the flap also.

Edited by 25_15_3

Have you checked under the box where the cartridge is stored?

Yes, I looked there too. No converter there nor anywhere.

The only current production Sailor pen that uses a different size converter is the Chalana, otherwise they use the same converter.

Thanks zchen.

I'd check our archives here, also jetpen.com specialized in Japanese pens. They so have a substantial amount of pen and ink reviews. You could just email them with your question. Also don't discount YouTube. There is an exhaustive array of reviews, tutorials and photos for just about any pen you can think of.

Good luck hope this helps

I am surprised that the converter was not included in the box. I always understood it was put in the box, along with the pen, instructions and a cartridge by Sailor in the factory.

Every Sailor I have bought from $70 ProColors upwards to 1911 Classic Large and ProGear had all that in the box.

All my Sailors came from Engeika.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

This matter of the missing converter was annoying simply because it was clearly stated at Engeika's webpage (for the Sailor pen I bought) that a converter was included in the price.

I told PayPal about this and that complaint was sent to Engeika who quickly wrote to me that he's sending me a converter. But before I got his message, I had already ordered a Sailor converter elsewhere.

I later did read here about Engeika sending out opened items and also removing tags, etc. Because a nice Pilot Prera arrived the day after I received the Sailor pen from Engeika, I can't recall if there was the actual Sailor tag on the pocket clip. I have the slender plastic sleeve that covered the Sailor pen and I might have been the one who probably cut off the end of that sleeve rather than Engeika doing the opening of the sleeve (but I'm not 100% certain about this since the Prera arrived so soon after the Sailor).

Hum...

Some years ago I won an Engeika auction for a Sailor Realo. It was shipped out to me and arrived in decent time. When I opened the box, there was a Sailor Realo sitting therein, but there was also a Sailor converter. Needless to say I was somewhat confused and really had to reassure myself that the pen was indeed a Realo...

Do you realize you might have gotten by mistake mx-fan's converter?

Thanks Old Salt for your advice.

Jar, the pen wasn't so cheap and for pen and converter, the shipping fee for me here in the US was $12! [i bought the Sailor Japanese quince wood fountain pen, a smallish pen measuring 130 mm closed.]

For the Sailor pen I bought, are there different sizes of Sailor converters or just 1 size?

It is very difficult to get sellers to ship pens from the US to Japan for less than $50., and then it can still take 3 months to get. $12. is a very good rice for overseas postage of a pen.

IF you have not already done so, after looking in the pen, look under the tray the pen rests in, in the box. Not all makers have pen boxes with removable trays but my Sailor pen boxes usually do.

Although, converters are usually purchased seperately from pens in Japan. I have gotten all the way back home and realized that I forgot to buy a converter with my new pen. Doesn't excuse advertising it as being included though.

Otherwise, just get a converter elsewhere.