Will Your 2017 Diary Be Paper Or Digital

Pussinboots

Just that really. I use my phone diary and a paper journal-daily one. Sometimes I am tempted to go back to the paper planner aswell but it seems to work using digital for appointments and the paper one to log events and how I feel etc.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vjones

• Runnin_Ute

• praxim

• inkyelbows

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, hope everyone is having a nice day!

I personally use a Moleskine Planner, it's used for everything really - including homework, so it gets very filled :P I used a digital one last year however phones have almost been completely outlawed in my school, doesn't matter what for! So I thought paper is just a better way. I can see why many use digital diaries, although I just prefer paper really..

As for journaling I also use paper, it's just nicer. Plus it can act as a pseudo ink diary!

Thanks!

I have been using a Bullet Journal for over a year and it is a system that works for me. I am almost finished with the current journal and am thinking about splurging on a Leichtturm a5 notebook for 2017.

I have also recently started using Workflowy (on the computer and phone) in a bullet journal style fashion that is somewhat modeled after how this person is using Workflowy: https://medium.com/@amirmasoudabdol/workflowy-journal-d33405065d64#.u2s7oxm0k

(That link is what appears on my phone, maybe it is a mobile version of the page. Perhaps google "medium.com Workflowy bullet journal" to find the desktop version of the page?)

Workflowy helps me jot down something I need to remember when I'm out and about and happen to not have my Bullet Journal on me. I will go back and write it all down in my journal later.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I was using a bullet journal but I just started a new job that requires me to use Outlook's calendar. I already bought a Hobonichi so I guess it will be used for a jouurnal.

I'm likely going to use a Jibun Techo Diary 2017 plus their Idea booklets for notes and bullet journaling, and Google Calendar + Evernote for digital capture. The Techo Diary and Idea booklets are made with Tomoe River paper.

Here's a nice write up: http://blog.bellebethcooper.com/jibun-techo.html

and the official page (in Japanese) showing the sections of the Diary http://www.kokuyo-st.co.jp/stationery/jibun_techo/contents.html#diary

Edited by mls64

Paper, in the form of the Hobonchi Techo. I used to have an electronic calendar at work because everyone was required to use the same system, but since I retired last spring it's paper all the time! I use plenty of electronic gadgets, but so far digital calendars hold no appeal.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Since this year, I have switched from all-electronic to a mix, where the silicon gizmos handle contacts and schedules, and the treated cellulose gizmos handle planning, tasks, projects, thoughts and designs. The former gizmos are things Known to Apple to cause their profit, while the latter are a mix of left-over plain paper books and a purposeful Leuchtturm 1917 A5.

X

I use an electronic system for appointments. Other people need to be able to see where I am and it is a part of my work-billing flow.

I also have a 2017 A5 techo. I like to use a paper planner for todo lists and as a log.

My schedules are too volatile for a paper planner to be feasible anymore, so calendar stuff is digital. Journaling is still all paper. One, because I want a reason to write with all these pens I keep buying :) and second, I find the act of writing cathartic. Not only in a "get it off your chest kind of way" but the physical act of writing is calming and soothing to this savage old beasts soul.

It's a mix of both ...

When I'm at home and I need to make a list, I usually grab a Rhodia Bloc No 8 --which I often lose by the time I get to the store ;-) Otherwise I use Google Keep.

When I'm on the go I always use Keep ... I tried carrying a little pad and a (cheap) pen ... but that just doesn't work!

At the office ... I use an A5 notebook to document my discussions with my employyes and another one to write general office notes (which I never read).

Also at the office, every morning, I make a list of priorities ... again using a Rhodia Bloc No 8

As for the rest, my actual planner ... I use Outlook.

I've gotten a few people around me to switch to pen and paper.

Both. Hobonichi weeks for paper, built in agenda in my phone. I like the fact you can have a bell reminding you of some things you have to do that are not regular on my calendar.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Like many here, I am using a combination of the too. Outlook on my laptop to share schedules and planning with my co-workers. Moleskine style notebooks for personal planning, to-do lists and similar records.

For the third year in a row, I will be using a paper planner in 2017 (Filofax). I went full digital back in 2008 then reverted back to paper in 2015.

Edited by john74

Thanks for your replies. Whilst I find it handy using my phone as a planner it can become tricky like when the battery goes flat or when I'm talking to someone on the phone and we are arranging to meet and my diary is actually on the phone I am talking on. I am tempted to go back to a paper appointment diary but keeping it both on paper and on my phone seems like duplication. Sometimes I do feel though that by the time I've put an appointment in my phone and tapped on all the correct buttons, I could have written it down. The thing the phone diary is useful for is recurring events where you just put them in once and they repeat.

I'll be using paper, probably Paperblanks. I find it much more convenient, and faster, to look up what I need to do and where I need to be in a small paper book than to log in to a digital device and open up a digital calendar. And it gives me another opportunity to use my inks.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

For a planner, it's a mix of the calendar on my laptop and a smallish paper one to keep in my purse (haven't picked one up yet, because the selection hasn't wowed me). Oh, and a big wall one that is for white board markers, but I haven't gotten one of those yet either....

For a diary/journal, it's paper of course. I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through the current volume, which is a Miquelrius 300 page leather-look journal. Although I've discovered that if you open the book up super flat you can have signatures come out because they're glued in and not sewn in....

This morning's entry was with the newly rehabbed Sheaffer Balance Oversize with a Lifetime nib (appears to be F or EF) that had been my husband's grandfather's pen (we think), filled with modern Skrip Purple (I was gonna use some of the vintage Skrip Peacock Blue I got at the Ohio Pen Show but grabbed the wrong pen -- an Eversharp Symphony -- and the Peacock Blue went in that; the good news, though, is that the Symphony may NOT need a new sac after all.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Patrick Ng's Chronodex which I print on HP 32# paper. I have to use outlook at work, but I transfer everything (except when I forget) to paper so I can take it with me. It is satisfying to take a couple of minutes a day to sync to my paper and use my pens

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Examined 163 fountain pens. None is digital. I scribble the rare lucid thought into a "Composition" notebook. I bought a case of 36 such notebooks @25 in August 2015.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !