2017 Fpn-Friendly Diary In Uk

mercurius

So here we go again. The search is on for a reasonably priced diary (page to a day) with good quality FPN-friendly paper available in the UK.

I gave up eventually last year and ended up with an A5 Collins which was a compromise as the paper was quite thin and it turned out to have bleed through :-(

On the Oxford paper site they claim to offer both a Classic and Black & Red diary (with Oxford Optik paper!), but they don't give any details of costs or where you can buy them. I have emailed them for more details.

However, if Oxford don't come up with the goods, I would be interested to know whether anyone has found anything available in the UK with decent quality paper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mercurius

• LizB

• Han5gruber

• kirkmc

I've just picked up a cheap Collins A5 diary (page a day) in Tesco for work, I think it was £3.50. It has very thin paper, and is fairly basic. At first appears to be unbranded, but inside it says it is Collins Debden Ltd. I haven't really tested it yet, but so far with a Sailor ink and medium nib there is a little showthrough but otherwise not bad. I think it may be the case as with your Collins, some inks will bleed through.

My personal diary is a Paperblanks, and their smaller diaries have thinnish paper and suffer from showthrough and bleed through, and they are considerably more expensive.

Have you had any luck with Oxford/Black & Red?

You can get Leuchtturm 1917 daily diaries, they are meant to have pretty FP friendly paper. The downside is that they are kinda expensive but I guess that's relative.

I've just picked up a cheap Collins A5 diary (page a day) in Tesco for work, I think it was £3.50. It has very thin paper, and is fairly basic. At first appears to be unbranded, but inside it says it is Collins Debden Ltd. I haven't really tested it yet, but so far with a Sailor ink and medium nib there is a little showthrough but otherwise not bad. I think it may be the case as with your Collins, some inks will bleed through.

My personal diary is a Paperblanks, and their smaller diaries have thinnish paper and suffer from showthrough and bleed through, and they are considerably more expensive.

Have you had any luck with Oxford/Black & Red?

No, they didn't respond to my email. Can't understand why they bother to have a website with a contact us tab when they clearly don't monitor it.

You can get Leuchtturm 1917 daily diaries, they are meant to have pretty FP friendly paper. The downside is that they are kinda expensive but I guess that's relative.

I've thought about the Leutturm 1917, but I don't like the page layout. Also have read that it's not as good as it's cracked up to be and you still get show through, so that put me off.

I think a bit of showthrough is the price you have to pay for a cheap diary. I can accept that, as long as there's not too much, and there's no bleeding or feathering. I have yet to find the *perfect* fountain pen diary.

I've thought about the Leutturm 1917, but I don't like the page layout. Also have read that it's not as good as it's cracked up to be and you still get show through, so that put me off.

There's a tiny bit of showthrough, but nothing that's annoying. I'm using one with a Pelikan M1000 F and black ink, and it's fine.

I write about things: Kirkville

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my diary search: after scouring the internet and contacting loads of online journal suppliers, I found my 2017 diary by accident. Happened to call in at a Sainsbury's last Sunday and found a light tan, suedette covered one (not my first choice of colour or material, obviously) with cream pages of a reasonable weight. The good news is that it takes FP without too much trouble (my diary pen is a Kaweco Sport). Phew! Search over for another year.

I use the same Personal size Filofax diary I've been using since 1990. The paper works well with Diamine and Parker inks at least.

Last year I was able to get a Vior A5 day-to-a-page diary from Aldi. It had the new, beige asian paper which is very FP friendly, and was only AU$10. Unfortunately, I missed out this year, so have had to go with a cheapy. I will be using it with a dryish, fine-nibbed pen with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue to minimise bleeding.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I've been using Quo Vadis diaries for several years and they are brilliant . They use Clairefontaine

Paper . if I can get them in Australia they should be available in the UK.

Last year I used a Midori travellers notebook with 3 inserts, lightweight paper, 2016 week to view and a graph paper insert, the amount of compliment I got was unreal. Midor do supply a "free diary" which means you add the dates at the top of the page, the book normally has enough pages to do a few months or so.

This year I've bought a Hobonoichi Techo Planner, the diary is day to view and made of tomoe river paper so its probably the most fountain pen friendly diary you can find, I imported mine from japan for around £30 inc shipping but you can order it from the journal shop, they currently have UK stock for £40.

Another option would be the Midori day per view diary but its out of stock with the same website

I've been using Quo Vadis diaries for several years and they are brilliant . They use Clairefontaine

Paper . if I can get them in Australia they should be available in the UK.

Yes I believe they are available in UK, but they don't do day to a page (my preferred layout) and online retailer (The Journal Shop? - can't remember now) told me it wasn't really FP friendly.

Last year I used a Midori travellers notebook with 3 inserts, lightweight paper, 2016 week to view and a graph paper insert, the amount of compliment I got was unreal. Midor do supply a "free diary" which means you add the dates at the top of the page, the book normally has enough pages to do a few months or so.

This year I've bought a Hobonoichi Techo Planner, the diary is day to view and made of tomoe river paper so its probably the most fountain pen friendly diary you can find, I imported mine from japan for around £30 inc shipping but you can order it from the journal shop, they currently have UK stock for £40.

Another option would be the Midori day per view diary but its out of stock with the same website

Sounds a good solution, but must admit I baulk at spending £30+ My Sainsbury find cost me 7 quid.

Sounds a good solution, but must admit I baulk at spending £30+ My Sainsbury find cost me 7 quid.

I feel exactly the same, especially for a notebook... just look at the photos of it long enough and you'll find yourself ordering it in no time

Update on my diary search: after scouring the internet and contacting loads of online journal suppliers, I found my 2017 diary by accident. Happened to call in at a Sainsbury's last Sunday and found a light tan, suedette covered one (not my first choice of colour or material, obviously) with cream pages of a reasonable weight. The good news is that it takes FP without too much trouble (my diary pen is a Kaweco Sport). Phew! Search over for another year.

Excellent news - any chance of a pic?