Getting To Know Indian Fountain Pens

IvoryParker

Namaste

I want to get better acquainted with Indian fountain pens. Where should i start? I love the appearance of the wality/ airmail eyedroppers with clear barrels.

Guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks Shakti

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• matteob

• amk

• Seele

ASA Pens is an excellent starting point.

Although with little to no online representation, I believe Ratnamson (Ghandi had a Ratnamson) are excellent pens.

Otherwise, Fountain Pen Revolution

IvoryParker,

I think it is easiest to make a rough distinction between two classes of Indian pens: the classic hand-made ones from quite small makers, and quantity-produced ones using some degrees of mass-production methods.

When India started the pen production industry, many small firms produced pens using relatively simple machines: basically a lathe was quite sufficient: these pens are usually made by turning ebonite rods and employ the simplest eyedropper filling principle. Scores of firms came into being, and a few of them survive to carry on making pens this way. Ratnamson has already been mentioned, others include Ratnam, Guider, Deccan, Gama, Kim, Ranga, and others; newer firms are turning up as well, often with more advanced ink supply systems and perhaps modern screw-in nib units.

The mass producers such as Airmail-Wality, Camlin, Kanwrite, Click, and countless others, tend to cater for the mass market now, and generally more affordable, but many of them are very competent as well.

Airmail-Wality's clear barrel eyedroppers are indeed very attractive, but I am aware that some users have reported the less satisfactory performance of the nibs. That said, I have always been able to get Airmail-Wality nibs tamed with a bit of careful smoothing, so it's no big deal for me.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I would recommend you to start from Either of the following :

Airmail / Wality, Gama, Ranga, Deccan, Ratnam, Ratnamson, Guider, ASA & Fosfor....

ASAPENS stocks Gama, Oliver, Doctor, Airmail/Wality and their own in-house brand, ASA pens also ... The waiting tomes can be sometimes frustrating but its worth it ... Do avail the option of FP Testing which he provides free of cost before dispatch... wherein he checks the nib before dispatch... He is also the distributor of JoWo nibs in India....

Ranga Pens offer some beautiful ebonite rods premium ones which are imported ... He is got some beautiful designs and I have done a lot of group buys of his pens... He replies really quick and is also present on the FPN and quite quick in his replies... You will not be disappointed with his pens... I am simply more inclined to his pens...he can be contacted here : link

Deccan Pens are also one of the oldest pen manufacturers in India and are based out of Hyderabad... They have been selling the pens these days via WhatsApp

Fosfor .... Most expensive of the lot but worth every penny... Monoj of fosfor pens will deliver whatever you want... he is a one-man show... a pen turner himself...Some people call him pen wizard... he creates his own pen material... and feeds... has made piston fillers... he also makes a pen from exotic wood...

Ratnam/Ratnamson/Guider the trio from Rajahmundhary in Andhra Pradesh are one of the most famous pen manufacturers. Ratnam Being the oldest and Ratnamson being an offshoot from Ratnam and is owned by one of the sons of Ratnam Pen.

Guider is owned by Lakshmi Rao who used to be part of Ratnam pens and now has his own firm... He is one of the best when it comes to finishes... and has got hell lot of different acrylics and ebonites... his sad parts are nibs... though last I heard he is now making the pens with Schmidt Nibs... you can also supply nibs and material to him and he will make the pen for you....

Lastly, I recommend you to choose anyone of the above but go via CC mechanism route ,... Eyedroppers although cheap are quite fussy and I believe are for advanced users...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 3 weeks later...

+1 to everything Vaibhav says. I have very happy experiences with Fosfor, ASA and Ranga, dealing over the internet (I live in Europe). I've also dealt with Fountain Pen Revolution who have some nice pens, and still have stock of the Guider Zimbo - they're very fast to ship and easy to deal with.

I also have a number of other Indian pens, Ratnam, Ratnamson, Guider, Deccan, Airmail, Mohi and Oliver, bought from other FPN members or on the road in India, and a few vintage Indian pens (many looking uncannily like Parker Vacumatics from the outside).

If you like the Airmail, you'll find a lot of other transparent pens available - the transparent Nauka and the demonstrator Ranga bamboo (look at recent group buys in the PIF forum to see some pictures) have been very popular.

I would say if you love Indian pens it's worth getting used to eyedroppers, and also getting used to doing a bit of work on nibs and even swapping nibs around. Maybe not at first... but once you have a few, it will be time to start!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I would say if you love Indian pens it's worth getting used to eyedroppers, and also getting used to doing a bit of work on nibs and even swapping nibs around. Maybe not at first... but once you have a few, it will be time to start!

that's so rightly said...

vaibhav mehandiratta

I love all these brands but I will say that some are difficult to purchase from in the States because they do not take paypal and money transfers can be very expensive.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

• 2 weeks later...

I would give a big heads up to both ASA and Guider. Guider will only take a bank transfer but I am lucky and use an online money transfer firm that only charges £1 comission (TransferGo recommended if in UK). I think the Guider finish is excellent. I have his CC medium pen which has a Schmidt nib and writes well. I have ordered an eyedropper from him now too. I hope the nib isn't as bad as Vaibhav says!

I would give a big heads up to both ASA and Guider. Guider will only take a bank transfer but I am lucky and use an online money transfer firm that only charges £1 comission (TransferGo recommended if in UK). I think the Guider finish is excellent. I have his CC medium pen which has a Schmidt nib and writes well. I have ordered an eyedropper from him now too. I hope the nib isn't as bad as Vaibhav says!

Guider Finish is best...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Maybe we can do a group buy with them sometime! They certainly are nice people. I receive an email almost every day telling me the status of the pen.The finish as you say lovely with extra details like metal bands. A few little flaws like odd tiny white mark on ebonite but it is a handmade item.

Waiting on the Ratnamson I have paid for. Money taken but no contact direct from Dr Ramana Murthy at all. His nephew runs his Facebook. I am trusting he is homourable...I am sure he is.

Is there a clear frontrunner for best writer and/or best finish amongst the mass produced brands?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I've only just started collected but I must say that my Indian pens are by far the best writers I have!! And I'm comparing them to Sailor, Pelikan, TWSBI, etc. These are all great pens, but the Indian eye droppers I have thus far - the Gama Eyas and Krishna Lyrebird - are waaaaay cheaper and much better writers (with stock Indian nibs).

I am so impressed, that I have a Ranga 4CS and a Guider Ebonite Zimbo on the way!

After that, my wish list has an ASA (Himalaya, Daily, or Sniper) and a Deccan Advocate (if I can somehow source this one).

I am super proud of our Indian penmakers!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link