Matte Black Pilot Vanishing Point

OdysseyUnkown

I've managed to find a Matte Black VP for a cheaper price than some other colours, but i have seen a lot of posts where the matte finish rubs off and it exposes the brass. Has Pilot addressed this issue or am i going to have the same issue and have the finish wear off?

Edited by GuidingLights

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OdysseyUnkown

• Mon34480

• Maurizio

• Donald2

If you're worried about the finish scratching off give a pass on the matte black, it has been addressed in the sense that it doesnt flake off easily like it used to but eventual wear and tear will scratch off the surface notably around the click mechanism.

If you're worried about the finish scratching off give a pass on the matte black, it has been addressed in the sense that it doesnt flake off easily like it used to but eventual wear and tear will scratch off the surface notably around the click mechanism.

It's not like i'll be putting in a bag and letting it bounce around. I keep all my pens in some sort of case when I'm traveling and have it on a stand during the day. Plus, the wear on the mechanism seems kinda cool to me, it shows it's been used and i really like that.

It's not like i'll be putting in a bag and letting it bounce around. I keep all my pens in some sort of case when I'm traveling and have it on a stand during the day. Plus, the wear on the mechanism seems kinda cool to me, it shows it's been used and i really like that.

The matte finish is probably one of those pens which regardless of how well you baby it the finish will get scratched/worn out much faster than other finishes. If worse comes to it you can always sand it down to the brass base and have a very nice brass VP or have a very nicely developed "kintsugi" pen :)

Edited by Alteyz

The matte finish is probably one of those pens which regardless of how well you baby it the finish will get scratched/worn out much faster than other finishes. If worse comes to it you can always sand it down to the brass base and have a very nice brass VP or have a very nicely developed "kintsugi" pen :)

I don't mind the fact that it'll get worn down over time, it adds character. I don't know if i'd be comfortable with sanding it down haha, but i'll have to see. Thanks for all your input though! Being a fountain pen person in Aus is very expensive..

Being a fountain pen person in Aus is very expensive..

That is very true, there is a decent fountain pen community in Aussie but only a handful of shops most which are owned by the same branch who unfortunately mark up prices quite significantly (along with generally dismal service and a pretentious attitude to go with it) and if you're a new seller who "undercuts" them (offer a moderately decent price) they complain to the disturber and get them removed. Rodger at Pensclassicsnz who offered decent prices for many japanese pens couldn't get any more supply because of this too ):

I highly recommend taking a look at Dymocks @ sydney city area who has great sales/service and peters of kensington if you are looking for decent prices and a fairly unusual range of pens :)

Edited by Alteyz

That is very true, there is a decent fountain pen community in Aussie but only a handful of shops most which are owned by the same branch who unfortunately mark up prices quite significantly (along with generally dismal service and a pretentious attitude to go with it) and if you're a new seller who "undercuts" them (offer a moderately decent price) they complain to the disturber and get them removed. Rodger at Pensclassicsnz who offered decent prices for many japanese pens couldn't get any more supply because of this too ):

I highly recommend taking a look at Dymocks @ sydney city area who has great sales/service and peters of kensington if you are looking for decent prices and a fairly unusual range of pens :)

That sucks! I can't believe that they'd not sell him pens because of the price he charges..

When i go to the dymocks website it redirects you to notemaker haha. I'm currently waiting for my order from them to arrive. Spent about $40 on paper! I ordered some Moleskine cahiers from Peters' a while a go, use one for work and the rest for home. I ordered a #11 pad and cover with a spare pad from notemaker to replace the one for work and two #16 A5 pads. A Dot Pad and the Ice White Ruled.

Edited by GuidingLights

• 2 weeks later...

I have sent mine back to Pilot customer service 3 times since 2012. My pen is currently in Florida on its 3rd trip. The paint does rub off in places. Each time it comes back looking brand new. I don't know if they repaint it or just give me a new one. I do think they have improved the paint somewhat because it did seem to take longer for the paint to rub off after each time it has returned. I'm curious how this third treatment will endure. I don't mind being without the pen for a brief time - I have another in black and gold - and appreciate the no charge Pilot service.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• 1 year later...

When did Pilot fix the problem with the VP matte black finish coming off? Are the matte black VP fountain pens that were manufactured beginning in January 2016 and afterwards free from the paint chipping off?

Pilot don't fix pens in the USA, they just replace the broken half. It was for this reason that I was able to secure two mandarin yellow VPs many years ago that were sourced from the repair center and made from the spares they had.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77