The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Carey Of New York Pen Questions

carey eyedropper newyork

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheLuckyHat

TheLuckyHat

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:43

Greetings,

I recently was blessed to come across some old pens.  This one really caught my eye.  It looks to have mother of pearl on it.  The nib reads Carey New York 14k No 5.  Very little information about Carey to be found.  Anyone have any to share?  Is this a Carey pen?  I have seen others that are similar but of different names.  It is engraved.  Engraving says A.M. Drum (pretty sure that is a name because the other pens/pencils have the same initial on them).  S.C.  South Carolina?  Armstrong Council No. 92- D of L.  Thank you

Attached Images

• PB170064.JPG
  • PB170062.JPG
  • PB170061.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:20

Researching  an eyedropper I acquired with a gold nib engraved Walker Davison a few years ago , I discovered that ebonite  fountain pen barrels and caps were being manufactured mainly in Massachusetts at the turn of the last century and sold to jewelers. Walker Davison being one of them in Boston. Carey may well have been a jeweler in New York buying manufactured barrels and caps  and making the gold nibs and overlays.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,342 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 15:19

Nice.... :) :thumbup: :notworthy1:

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,098 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 16:00

The D of L may well be a Chapter of the Daughters of Liberty.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 17:09

Armstrong Council, Daughters of Liberty was in Pittsburgh, PA.
https://www.newspape...page/141935529/

I may be wrong, but that could be a pre-1915 pen. In 1915, Daughters of Liberty became Son's and Daughters if Liberty.
http://archiver.root...8-07/0901413606

I don't think the SC means South Carolina. I think it might mean Second Class.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#6 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 17:36

And I'm not convinced that AM Drum is a name.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carey, eyedropper, newyork

Sponsored Content

|