Sheen: Best Bang For Your Buck?

gregamckinney

For some of my writing (journaling, mostly) I like sheen. However, the ink that I have with the most sheen is Bungbox 4B, which is quite dear ($$$.)

What are some good options- color doesn't matter too much as long as it is on the darker end of the spectrum- for a good sheening ink on Tomoe River paper that is of a less expensive make?

Thanks for your suggestions!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• gregamckinney

• Ergative

• Olya

PR Sherwood Green and PR DC Electric Blue are both sheen-monsters, and not at all pricy. Diamine Bilberry needs more of a broad/wet nib to sheen, but it's also pretty cheap.

Sailor Yama-dori is currently on sale on Amazon for $12.78 a bottle, which isn't bad and is known for its sheen.

Dark colors I have used that exhibit sheen:

• red - Sailor Oku-yama, Levenger Claret, KWZ Maroon
  • brown - Diamine Macassar, Pilot Yama-guri
  • green - Sailor Miruai and Tokiwa-matsu
  • blue - Sailor Yama-dori, Pilot Tsuki-yo and Varsity (disposable) Blue
  • purple - Lamy Dark Lilac, Pilot Yama-budo
  • black - Platinum Black (cartridge)

Sheen obtained on Black n' Red spiral notebooks; I imagine Tomoe would produce even better results.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I just (finally!) picked up a bottle of Diamine Oxford Blue, which is a nice dark blue which sheens red. I'll have to check my notes for other super-sheening inks (if it sheens of crummy Piccadillly sketchbook paper, which is relatively absorbent... well, you can just imagine it on *good* paper B)).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Visconti Blue and Chesterfield Antique Oxford. Unfortunately The Chesterfield AO ink is no longer available but I believe it is actually Diamine Oxford Blue. Both these inks will give a strong red sheen on Tomoe River paper.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Surprisingly, Diamine Midnight is my biggest sheener. And it doesn't take an incredibly wet nib to obtain that either, what with Midnight being one of the most free flowing inks out there.

Many great options here already (Oku Yama is stunning), so I'll just add a couple of personal favorites not yet mentioned:

Diamine Bilberry; very affordable in most places, and well deserving of its membership in the Sheen Monsters club.

Sailor Kin-mokusei; once very hard to lay hands on, but since its re-release, not so unobtainable. It's more subtle than the Monsters, it's true, but the silver sheen over the orange is exceptionally lovely. (And uncommon. So far as I've been able to find, there have been on the order of 3 heavily-sheening oranges -- all made by Sailor, and of those only Kin-mokusei doesn't require a grail quest to get.)

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have quite a few to put on my 'future inks' shopping list.

For now, I've picked up Oku-yama, Sargasso Sea and Electric DC Blue.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.