The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Good Assortment Of Sac Sizes?

sac ink sac repair restoration vintage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 queerspaceman

queerspaceman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 00:04

Hi all, I've decided to learn to restore vintage pens, and i've got some lower end ones (so i can learn without breaking something priceless) coming in from ebay soon. i'm getting ready to order an assortment of sacs, what sizes would you suggest i get? i was thinking something like: 2x#12, 3x#14, 3x#16, 3x#18, 2x#20. does that sound about right?

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:27

It depends on what size pens you're thinking to fix.  I'd go a little heavier on the 16s and 18s, but that's just because I tend to get slightly smaller pens.  I believe all of the Esterbrook "J" types take a 16 so if Esties are your thing................

#3 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:48

I use even numbers; 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22

I have used #16 the most, then 14 and 18.

I would think about getting more sacs.  If the pens you get are mostly #16, you will run out fast.

BTW, most Esterbrooks use #16.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:49

Just buy the collector assortment from the Pen Sac Company

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 redbike

redbike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 17:16

Just buy the collector assortment from the Pen Sac Company

They have a table listing models of pens and the sac size for each. Richard Binder also has a good table on his site. Look for the pens you'll think you'll restore, and buy those sizes. 

#6 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 18:15

I doubt the 12s will be needed.

#7 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:57

I doubt the 12s will be needed.

All depends on what one finds.

I have used a few #12s.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#8 queerspaceman

queerspaceman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 17:49

thank you all so much for your input- I'm going to get fewer of the small and large ones, and more of the medium sizes. Thanks again!

#9 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 20:56

The bell curve peaks at 16, 17 and 18, so your supply should reflect that.  A few are 14, an the big pens go to 20 or 21, so it may shift a bit depending on what you tend to buy.  The odd numbers are important though.  There was a time that I didn't stock them, but I have them all now. They're important especially for the Sheaffer snorkel and TD pens.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#10 queerspaceman

queerspaceman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 23:28

The bell curve peaks at 16, 17 and 18, so your supply should reflect that.  A few are 14, an the big pens go to 20 or 21, so it may shift a bit depending on what you tend to buy.  The odd numbers are important though.  There was a time that I didn't stock them, but I have them all now. They're important especially for the Sheaffer snorkel and TD pens.

I'm just starting out and purchasing some inexpensive lots of pens on eBay so i don't break something valuable- i assume if I've gotten completely wrong sizes or screwed something else up horribly, ill just know for next time. 

#11 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 17:09

You do know that the Pen Sac Co. sells a small sac assortment for the amateur repairing their own pens?

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sac, ink sac, repair, restoration, vintage

Sponsored Content

|