Which Xmas Ink Should I Use For My Xmas Cards This Year?

cougarking

Diamine Magical Forest for me, in my Jinhao X750 with a Goulet 1.1mm stub. That pen is very WET, and it disassembles easily. No worries about clogging sparkles for me there.

I might break out Diamine Oxblood for some contrast.

Now, the trick is to find what cards are fountain-pen friendly this year...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizB

• FLZapped

• Mulrich

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamine Magical Forest for me, in my Jinhao X750 with a Goulet 1.1mm stub. That pen is very WET, and it disassembles easily. No worries about clogging sparkles for me there.

I might break out Diamine Oxblood for some contrast.

Now, the trick is to find what cards are fountain-pen friendly this year...

If I buy cards that turn out to be hopeless, I make a folded insert out of a reliable white paper and glue it inside. I also do this if I am attempting any sort of fancy calligraphy greeting, so I can throw away any ones that are terrible. The envelopes are usually the worst, and I try to find address labels that can tolerate the ink.

Festive waterproof ink for addressing envelopes for the mail? Something dark and machine-readable, I guess?

My cards are white and Christmas red with sparkles. Don't need more bright red. Thinking GFVC Moss Green, FC Loden, or FC Black Cherry.

I plan to use what I used last year for my Christmas cards: Diamine Magical Forest for signing, and Night Sky for addressing the envelopes. I like the little bit of added silver sparkle for this very special celebration.

If you don't want the shimmer, Diamine Red Dragon is a beautiful red, deeper than a bright red. Sherwood Green is a nice deepish green.

2008 Season's greetings brown, cinnamon....the other one Winter Forest, pine scented....

And I just looked up what both bottles cost when sold together.

They are much too expensive to use. :( :wacko:

:huh: :o :yikes: Christmas card time is here already!!!!! :gaah: :wallbash:

I did not buy nor do I buy ink or pens as an investment. I advocate gold coins for that....small 10-20-50g gold bars do well too. Odd, how one can give advice, and not follow it.

:angry: The paper of the card must be good enough for my ink. :rolleyes: :happyberet:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm generally not a sparkle ink fan but own the red and green J Herbin 1670 just for the Christmas season.

I picked up the Emerald already (love it!), may well have to go back for a bottle of the Red.

A couple colors I like to use that are a little different, but still manage to work; at least for me, is Waterman Inspired Blue, (makes me think of fresh snow and crisp air); or a gold ink like Diamine Shimmering Sands or Shoreline Gold by PR, which capture the warmth and grandeur of the Season. :-)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I finally got around to using J Herbin Rouge Hermarite and I take back my precious comment. I expected a deep red, similar to the cap and instead got something closer to orange. Maybe I'll just find a dark red and use emerald of chivor as an accent

Outside of cards from Crane, has anyone found a good source of Christmas cards that accept fountain pen ink?

No. We have tried a few cards from other publishers with negative results. Stick with Crane. Get them right after Christmas.

We will probably use J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor and Diamine Red Dragon.for our holiday inks.

Outside of cards from Crane, has anyone found a good source of Christmas cards that accept fountain pen ink?

No. We have tried a few cards from other publishers with negative results. Stick with Crane. Get them right after Christmas.

We will probably use J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor and Diamine Red Dragon.for our holiday inks.

I picked up a pack of cards from the Vermont Christmas Company last year that play very nice with my pens and ink. Using them again this year, and the included envelopes are nice and heavy.

I picked up a pack of cards from the Vermont Christmas Company last year that play very nice with my pens and ink. Using them again this year, and the included envelopes are nice and heavy.

+1. They even have Orthodox icon cards.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Surprisingly, the Carlton cards that are 6/pack for a couple of bucks at Target worked pretty well! There's no real feathering and I get teensy bit of shading.

Here's the result! I made sure to get the "worst" of the feathering.

http://i.imgur.com/Ap7aFXv.jpg

Ink: Diamine Magical Forest

Pen: Jinhao x750, with a Goulet 1.1mm stub nib

I do not write many cards, just catch up a bit with a few people we may not have seen for a while. I used inks selected for the respective audience in no very studied way, from a courteous blue-black through a casual brown to red or green, in a variety of pens with ages from 88 to <1. Inks used were:

MB Irish Green, MB velvet red, GvFC hazelnut brown, Waterman blue-black (or should that be blue-black-green?). Addressing featured Dark Lilac in each case for attractive ease of reading.

A mere year ago I had given up on cards and almost any greeting entirely, as a dull reaction to receiving e-mailed circular letters among a few cards. Now, people with whom I exchange such things get hand-written cards regardless of what they do.

X

So far I have used Levenger Pomegranate, Blackstone Red Cashmere, Diamine Sherwood Green and Diamine Classic Red this year.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A mere year ago I had given up on cards and almost any greeting entirely, as a dull reaction to receiving e-mailed circular letters among a few cards. Now, people with whom I exchange such things get hand-written cards regardless of what they do.

fpn_1481450773__img_2496.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles