The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Internal Workings Of Lever Filler (Please Help)

lever filler repair restoration vintage lever filling system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 queerspaceman

queerspaceman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 21:38

I recently found a vintage BCHR lever filler at an estate sale and decided to try to restore it (i posted earlier about this). The lever seemed to be stuck halfway in, and I couldn't get it out. I eventually got it- but now I'm even more confused. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. 

I got out what I thought was the lever- and I don't think that's what it was after all. I'm guessing the lever is missing altogether and what I thought was the lever is something else all together. 

http://imgur.com/mXegDCc

you can see above what I thought was a lever and turned out not to be as well as the J-bar that I pulled out.

Here are all of the parts:

And just because if anyone has any idea who may have made this pen, the nib and chasing pattern:
If anyone has ideas about 
-who made the pen
-what I need to do to restore it
-what parts I need
-where I can find them

that would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Content

#2 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 22:07

I would suggest you go to http://www.richardspens.com do a search for 'pressure bar' and look at the first response, removing and installing levers.  You have done the first part already.  Now it's a matter of finding a replacement lever.  And while you are at it removing the feed and nib and cleaning everything up, and afterwards installing a new sac and pressure bar (the part you thought was the lever).  The pressure bar distributes the pressure on the ink sac to get the maximum effect from the lever.  How is the nib?  Is it in good alignment, any crack around the breather hole, and how is the tipping.  You have a lot to do and a good chance to learn about pen repair.  Richard's Pens has is a great source of how to information.

I just purchased a Parker Duofold that is going to need a lot of work to get it where I want it.  Looks like you are joining the club!  I couldn't quite read what was engraved on the nib so couldn't help you with identification.

#3 queerspaceman

queerspaceman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 23:42

I would suggest you go to http://www.richardspens.com do a search for 'pressure bar' and look at the first response, removing and installing levers.  You have done the first part already.  Now it's a matter of finding a replacement lever.  And while you are at it removing the feed and nib and cleaning everything up, and afterwards installing a new sac and pressure bar (the part you thought was the lever).  The pressure bar distributes the pressure on the ink sac to get the maximum effect from the lever.  How is the nib?  Is it in good alignment, any crack around the breather hole, and how is the tipping.  You have a lot to do and a good chance to learn about pen repair.  Richard's Pens has is a great source of how to information.

I just purchased a Parker Duofold that is going to need a lot of work to get it where I want it.  Looks like you are joining the club!  I couldn't quite read what was engraved on the nib so couldn't help you with identification.

I'll do that- Thanks for the explaination!

The nib appears to be in good shape, no holes and a good amount of flex. It says "SOLID X GOLD"

Yep, this is the first pen i've restored. I'm having fun so far!

#4 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 00:46

Just out of curiosity is there a number designation on the end of the barrel or engraved name on the barrel itself? The engraving on the barrel may be difficult to read unless you use a loupe, or there may be none.

#5 queerspaceman

queerspaceman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:12

Just out of curiosity is there a number designation on the end of the barrel or engraved name on the barrel itself? The engraving on the barrel may be difficult to read unless you use a loupe, or there may be none.

no, there's no engraving, number, or imprint.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lever filler, repair, restoration, vintage, lever, filling system

Sponsored Content

|