Where To Buy Antique Pens In Ireland

ArcherSay

Hi all

I've been reading for a while but this is my first time posting. I recently started using a fountain pen to combat hand pain when writing and I'm afraid I've become addicted . . .

Anyway - in a few weeks I'll likely be heading to Dublin to look around the antique shops. Does anyone know of any that are likely to have pens? I'm not looking for anything in particular, but if some shops are more likely than others to have pens I definitely want to check them out.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sasha Royale

• PTAF

• Uncial

• sidthecat

I'm afraid to say you won't have much luck, or if you do let me know! I've only ever seen antique and vintage pens sold here through auctions as complete collection lots. There are quite a few antique stores up near Vicars Street. Don't be put off by the seemingly unlikely environs.

I wish you the best of luck. However, Ireland has everything else -- beautiful landscapes, friendly weather, lovely, dark-eyed women. (I married one.) If you have to hunt Ebay, as many of us do, you should not feel disadvantaged. Ireland has every other blessing.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Dublin in the late 1980s, and the antiques market was pretty well picked-over. I left just before the tech boom started, and Dublin was still very much as James Joyce left it: a Victorian city that had endured a century of recession. The old Georgian rows and squares remained because no one had the money to knock them down. I haven't had the heart to return: I can only hope that they're not like the speculators we have here in LA.

• 2 weeks later...

Dublin has changed immeasurably since the 80's, generally for the better in my view. Luckily, it has retained its Georgian charm. There are two good pen shops in the city centre. First, the Pen Corner in College Green, opposite the Central Bank. The staff are very experienced and helpful. Second, there is a small section in Weir's, a high-end jewellery and watch store on Grafton St., which has a reasonably good collection of Montblanc, Cross and Montegrappa pens. They used to have a few vintage pens, but only a very limited number. They do keep some Writers Edition and POA pens from a few years back, but I wouldn't classify them as vintage in any way.