Suggest A Pen (Wider Section)

MuddyWaters

Well people have different taste, and if they had different nibs then I would have a different viewpoint. I've not really noticed the design of the Lamy being on any way superior as far as holding the pen.

The Platinum is ef and far far far too fine and scratchy for me, and is also too stiff. The Pilot is sf so it gives a nice bouncy ride and is slightly on the dry side so it shows great shading with inks. The Lamy is a medium and is very broad in comparison but has a stub quality to it. Overall I enjoy writing with the Lamy the most because of the flair it gives my writing and I've started to prefer wider nibs nowadays, and the Platinum the least favourite. The Platinums are great writers though with superb flow, but they're a little on the scratchy and stiff side for me. I may buy a broad version another time in the future.

The design of the Pilot is black and totally boring. The design of the Platinum is boring but the transparency of the red and blue makes it look lovely. The Lamy has an iconic design, and that would be my favourite. The Pilot design would be my least favourite.

The ink probably lasts longer in the Platinum and Pilot despite the ink capacity being slightly less, this is because of the finer nib.

Anything else, please ask.

Edited by Bluey

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• Bluey

• sandy101

• Pichak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about an Italix Parson's Essential or some such pen? They write really well and are a bit thicker than the pens you are using. Also, not that expensive.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Well people have different taste, and if they had different nibs then I would have a different viewpoint. I've not really noticed the design of the Lamy being on any way superior as far as holding the pen.

The Platinum is ef and far far far too fine and scratchy for me, and is also too stiff. The Pilot is sf so it gives a nice bouncy ride and is slightly on the dry side so it shows great shading with inks. The Lamy is a medium and is very broad in comparison but has a stub quality to it. Overall I enjoy writing with the Lamy the most because of the flair it gives my writing and I've started to prefer wider nibs nowadays, and the Platinum the least favourite. The Platinums are great writers though with superb flow, but they're a little on the scratchy and stiff side for me. I may buy a broad version another time in the future.

The design of the Pilot is black and totally boring. The design of the Platinum is boring but the transparency of the red and blue makes it look lovely. The Lamy has an iconic design, and that would be my favourite. The Pilot design would be my least favourite.

The ink probably lasts longer in the Platinum and Pilot despite the ink capacity being slightly less, this is because of the finer nib.

Anything else, please ask.

Interesting that the lamy has a slight stub quality to it. Do you think you would have gone for a fine had you known the medium was that broad? For comparison's sake, do you have a Kaweco by any chance? I have a Kaweco Classic in medium and I wonder how the Lamy medium nib would compare to the Kaweco's.

From what I can tell though, you really like your Lamy and think it has something extra that the others don't have, especially in feel and wetness. Since I already have a Metropolitan, I might be in the mood of trying a pen that is quite different in size and nib width as well and I think the 2000 would be a reliable option. If I didn't have the metro, I would probably consider getting a Pilot C74 since they are so cheap from Japanese sellers on amazon, but I'm just not convinced it would give me something novel enough.

Interesting that the lamy has a slight stub quality to it. Do you think you would have gone for a fine had you known the medium was that broad? For comparison's sake, do you have a Kaweco by any chance? I have a Kaweco Classic in medium and I wonder how the Lamy medium nib would compare to the Kaweco's.

From what I can tell though, you really like your Lamy and think it has something extra that the others don't have, especially in feel and wetness. Since I already have a Metropolitan, I might be in the mood of trying a pen that is quite different in size and nib width as well and I think the 2000 would be a reliable option. If I didn't have the metro, I would probably consider getting a Pilot C74 since they are so cheap from Japanese sellers on amazon, but I'm just not convinced it would give me something novel enough.

No, I'm quite happy with the medium. I prefer something a little broader for journalling, but not so broad that it uses a ton of ink. The medium on the Lamy is just right for me to get a good balance between a pleasant writing experience and ink economy.

I don't have a Kaweco to compare with I'm afraid. Different cultures tend to have different nibs - German pen makers tend to make their pens as smooth as they possibly can, so many German pens have babys bottom. Kaweco nibs(made by Bock, also German), similarly to Pelikan, are infamous for it, and the wider the nib the worse it gets. The Lamy 2000 nib, though, is different.

As you have a Metro, I don't think you should buy the Pilot Custom unless you're going for the soft fine or soft medium, otherwise the experience will be too similar. I think the better option is to broaden your horizons with pens, even if it isn't the best quality option. I think the Lamy 2000 is a very different animal from the Pilot Metro. The flat foot shape of the Lamy 2000 nib will offset the extra polish that German nibs tend to have so as to reduce the chances of babys bottom

Edited by Bluey

I have a Faber-Castell with Medium nib which is web and smooth and you should no need to working onthe nib. I buy it from Indigo but it only have Medium nib.

You may want to have a fine nib which will be the same width with the Pilot Medium nib.

You can find it with difference nib size in Goulet Pen and other location.

Hope this help!

For less expensive fountain pen, the Jinhao 159 is a good choice. It has cigar shape, made of metal, got a wide section and also wet and smooth writer.

I also agree with the Wing Sung 590 but the pen has flat top shape and made of plastic. The section of Wing Sung 590 is also wide.

The Kaigelu 316 is a beautiful Chinese fountain pen. It looks similar to the Parker Duofold International. The pen’s body made of Acrylic and also good writer too.

The other less expensive pen I can think now is the Platinum Plaisir. It is a beautiful cigar shape fountain pen with a smooth and wet nib.

The section of Kaigelu 316 and Platinum Plaisir are normal size. It is not a wide section pen but pleasure to hold.

At anywhere from $15-$20, I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Plaisir, and if you upgrade to a 3776, you can share carts between them.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I recently purchased a Gama Kuyil from ASA pens. It is a matte black ebonite pen of some size, think Danitrio Densho. The ebonite has "brushed" finish that resembles the Lamy 2000. The pen is light but with a wide section. It is an eyedropper so it holds a lot of ink.

The link to ASA Pens is: http://asapens.in/eshop/index.php?route=common/home

Dimensions:

Capped: 150mm

Open: 149mm

Posted: 172mm

Cap Dia: 17mm

Barrel Dia: 15 mm

Section Length: 18mm

Avg. Section dia: 12mm

I was surprised at the short time it took to receive the pen, less than two weeks. I've been quite satisfied with the pen. I ordered mine with an extra feed and nib, the "German" M nib. With the two nibs and a pre-shipping writing test, the total was $46 USD with free shipping. The pen alone is $38.00. A great value in my opinion.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Pen with a wider section than the Pilot Metropolitan ? The Sheaffer No Nonsense a larger diameter and lightweight, being made of plastic. The Jinhao 159 is a larger diameter pen, price very reasonably, and heavier. It is made of aluminum or brass tubing. Both pens have performed well for me. Prices fall under $20.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

How about an Italix Parson's Essential or some such pen? They write really well and are a bit thicker than the pens you are using. Also, not that expensive.

Erick

+1

The Parson's Essential or, if you want a bigger pen the Captain's Commission. If you are orderign from outside the EU, you'll get a 20% reduction off the sales tax - and with the pound being where it is at them moment - I'd say buy one of the two. Mr Ford's pens are a delight to write with.

Platinum Plaisir. Metal body and cap with nice colorful finish. Many colours. Grip section is plastic, is quite wide and grippy. Mine has been bulletproof and even survives my daughter using it at school.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a tough call. They are both great pens.

The Lamy 2K, if the filling system doesn't matter. Being a piston filler, the Lamy is great for long writing sessions, but if you want to change ink colours regularly - the Italix.

• 1 month later...

Just to give an update on this: recap is that I have a Kaweco Sport and pilot metropolitan, both of which give me writer's callus, probably because of how tight my grip is combined with the narrow section diameter.

I've been looking for a new pen that will be more comfortable for my hand for long writing sessions, ie. Light, wider and fairly wet, and would consider pens of higher value to upgrade also.

I have purchased a Lamy Al-star because I did like the grip in the store as a stop-gap solution. I got it for cheap and still waiting for it. I'll see when I get it hope mileage it can give me. I know it's not a wide pen and I may still want to another solution later.

My current shortlist is the eternal Lamy 2000 in medium, though I've never tried one up to now. Second and most recently would be those big handmade Ranga model 3 in ebonite, which I have a feeling would be comfortable due to the hard rubber material. They also come with jovo nibs and used as eyedroppers, will give sufficient wetness, I think. Problem with this latter option is that it is not totally cheap, at 72$ on eBay for the jovo option (I prefer this one because writes better, I hear, and number 6 nib looks better) which is still a steel nib; and that it doesn't have the quasi-stub quality of the 2000. I do suspect that in terms of comfort however, the Ranga would not be beat.

Any thoughts?