Aztec Gold - Kwzi

visvamitra

As some of you may know Poland is one of biggest exporters of cosmetics, furniture and fruits. But we also have inks. Or, to be more precise, one ink maker - KWZI. Konrad offers handmade inks in more than sixty colors. I believe it's fair to say iron - gall inks were refreshed by him. You can check KWZ website here.

Aztec Gold is one of two new inks (the other one being El Dorado). This ink creation process wasn't harmonious. It was brutal. One of FPNers harassed Konrad to make this ink. Konrad is big guy but when I asked about it he started to shiver and sob. He didn't want to talk about it. Claudia - it was nasty, it was immoral, it was cold. But...but it all served higher good so who am I to judge you?

Well done :)

First let's look at the bottle.

fpn_1479057166__aztecgold_bottle.jpg

The ink is wet and gives nice feel even to drier nibs. The color change can be dramatic on some papers. I have a feeling that iron-gall inks are much more sensible to paper and the effect you get may vary a lot between different papers. On scans below you'll see the ink still looks warm. However I've used it to write a letter to a friend on Rhodia cream paper and there the ink looks rather dreary. Maybe I'll find motivation to write something else on this paper and scan it and post it here to give you an idea what one might expect from this ink on some papers.

fpn_1479059098__aztecgold_is.jpg

It's water resistant to some degree. After soaking the color will be gone but you'll still be able to read the text. I haven't observed any feathering or bleedthrough. Drying time is reasonable.

Ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1479059133__aztecgold_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1479059164__aztecgold_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1479059151__aztecgold_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic, broad nib

fpn_1479059229__aztecgold_t_1.jpg

fpn_1479059240__aztecgold_t_2.jpg

fpn_1479059255__aztecgold_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1479059270__aztecgold_l_1.jpg

fpn_1479059300__aztecgold_l_2.jpg

fpn_1479059312__aztecgold_l_5.jpg

Kokuyo Myo Campus A5, TWSBI 580, stub 1,1

fpn_1479059347__aztecgold_kokuyo_1.jpg
fpn_1479059391__aztecgold_kokuyo_2.jpg
fpn_1479059410__aztecgold_kokuyo_3.jpg

Some no-name notebook with absorbent paper, TWSBI 580, stub 1,1
fpn_1479058451__aztecgold_empik_1.jpg
fpn_1479058472__aztecgold_empik_2.jpg
Lyreco Budget 60 mgsm, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib
fpn_1479059500__aztecgold_ly_1.jpg
Water resistance (not really)
fpn_1479059037__aztecgold_h2o.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• gylyf

• bureaudirect

• visvamitra

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for another of your thorough reviews. I'm a KWZ ink fan, but not of this one I'm afraid. It looks just a bit drab.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks. I rather like it.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I am using this ink now & I love it. It looks like the color on the edge of the drop. It is warm & a beautiful color. I am so glad that I bought it & am using it.

Thanks for the review, Vis. I just love this ink! So grateful to Cyber6 and Konrad for such an awesome ink. I just ordered a second bottle from Vanness (thanks Lisa and Mike).

Hmmm. This looks really different from what was shown in someone else's posts recently. I remember those photos showing the ink as having a lot of sheen. Are you seeing any?

Thanks for the review. I had thought I really wanted this, but (as the line in the song goes) I'm not so sure anymore....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great review Vis! I appreciate all the work that you went to for this review.

I haven't tried KWZ inks yet. But this won't be one that I will try anyway. The color isn't inspiring to me.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

very nice color that I would try, but first I would want to ask you guys if this has that strong aroma found in all their inks. It is so intrusive for me when writing that I stopped using KWZ inks, despite I like really a lot their colors and how they behave. I really hope they can improve this for all of their inks in future, as it seems they are trying to do.

very nice color that I would try, but first I would want to ask you guys if this has that strong aroma found in all their inks. It is so intrusive for me when writing that I stopped using KWZ inks, despite I like really a lot their colors and how they behave. I really hope they can improve this for all of their inks in future, as it seems they are trying to do.

I thought they did that some time ago.... KWZi inks now have a nice "vanilla" scent to them. They did that on purpose for users like you who were sensitive to the previous chemical smell.

I myself never noticed before or after... when I was told they have added the vanilla scent, I did poke my nose in a bottle to verify... but I would have never noticed. BTW.. is a lovely vanilla smell... :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Love the intro Vis..... :lticaptd: ..... and Yes, Konrad is BIG guy.... (HUGE!!!) .. He towers like two heads over me.. :lol:

Love the ink.... love the color... :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• 1 month later...

Love the intro Vis..... :lticaptd: ..... and Yes, Konrad is BIG guy.... (HUGE!!!) .. He towers like two heads over me.. :lol:

Love the ink.... love the color... :wub: :wub:

C.

Hilarious :) I kinda feel like I want to try this too :lticaptd:

Mishka

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect