The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Centropen 100820

centropen 100820 czechoslovakia

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:20

So, I'm really loving the Centropen 100820. I finally posted my video review on YouTube. So, here on this forum, I want to offer my thoughts and some pictures.

The pen was made in Czechoslovakia in the early 1960s by Centropen. The company, Centropen, was actually a communist creation. Previously, there were 12 small pen manufacturers in Czechoslovakia, but they were "asked" to consolidate as one in Dačice in the 1950s. So, I think this pen is the product of the wisdom and experience of these manufacturers. In the late 1960s, Centropen got into the lower cost pen market, so they no longer make pens of this caliber. But, wow, I wish they did. I've never used anything like it.

The pen and pencil came as a set in a red leather case. I love this case, though I'm a bit nervous about how to preserve the leather. It's attractive and the only branding is inside.

Leather-Case.jpg

Centropen-Branding.jpg

This isn't my best writing sample. But, I wrote it on a receipt to show the outstanding flexibility of the nib. It is supposed to vary between "fine" and "triple broad". As far as I can tell, it does. The pen flexes and writes a good line with very little railroading or trouble of any kind. In truth, writing with this pen feels like I'm using  a brush. It's that flexible. It's stunning. I thought I had a light touch with fountain pens, but I really had to relearn that with this pen.

Writing.jpg

And here is the nib in question.

The-Nib.jpg

The pen itself is made out of a glorious brown celluloid with an amazing chatoyancy. The nib and the trim are not just gold plated. They're gold filled. This means that they don't show wear very well.

The-Pen-1.jpg

The piston filling knob is hidden under a blind cap, like a Noodler's Konrad or some German pens.

Filling-Knob.jpg

The pen is remarkable. I knew very little about Centropen before I purchased this one. And now, I'll be on the lookout for more. It truly is a special pen.

Check out the video at 3:20 for a closeup, in slow motion, of the nib in action.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Sponsored Content

#2 mike.jane

mike.jane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:05

Dear Mr. Squirrel,

I have recently subscribed to your channel on yt. I wanted to say that I'm really enjoying your content. Please keep doing what you are doing. Also, I will certainly watch your newest video some time soon.

Best wishes.

- A fan

#3 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• 2,087 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:12

Dear Mr. Squirrel,

I have recently subscribed to your channel on yt. I wanted to say that I'm really enjoying your content. Please keep doing what you are doing. Also, I will certainly watch your newest video some time soon.

Best wishes.

- A fan

Thanks! The interaction with people and the fascinating pens like this one are what make that worth doing. Thanks for becoming a subscriber, and I hope you enjoy the video! I've been excited to do this video for a long time.

#4 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,690 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 13:07

That is an amazing pen and such a wonderful find! Thank you!
Posted Image

#5 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2016 - 14:11

Really explorative review into a brand, era, and geography of the global pen community that I hadn't even thought to ask questions about. Beautiful pen and workmanship, and that case is so evocative of the decade and the place. Useful research, and you'll probably spur even more exploration of the era and the region. Nice work!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#6 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2016 - 16:23

Very nice material.

#7 Rose Nibs

Rose Nibs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:30

I don't recognize the markings on the nib. It looks like a fine centropen nib, but the markings say something else.

#8 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,293 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 13:03

Perhaps ISCO was one of the progenitors of Centropen?  A quick search on Ebay shows pens with ISCO nibs coming from places like Slovenia, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia.

Thanks for the review.  That's a pretty pen.

Edited by Tweel, 14 November 2016 - 13:05.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#9 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• 2,087 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 23:02

Really explorative review into a brand, era, and geography of the global pen community that I hadn't even thought to ask questions about. Beautiful pen and workmanship, and that case is so evocative of the decade and the place. Useful research, and you'll probably spur even more exploration of the era and the region. Nice work!

Thanks. I felt I should include a taste of history just because it is a pen brand that many people don't know. If others of this brand are even close, it is well worth exploring!

#10 dezorz

dezorz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 20:25

Great review.  Dacice is spelled Dacheetse. I was a kid in 80s, i dont remember much,  but I was told some german piston fillers were possible to buy from a grey import (tourists, foreign politics... ) of course too expensive for most people here. i  remember using chinese fountain pen, when I as a first grader, this is how we called it, chinese pen, sometimes chinese, sometimes made by local pen manufactureres, even kohinoor was making it, a very cheap and awful parker 61 clone.  but i dont know how it was back in 60s.

#11 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• 2,087 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 16:10

Great review.  Dacice is spelled Dacheetse. I was a kid in 80s, i dont remember much,  but I was told some german piston fillers were possible to buy from a grey import (tourists, foreign politics... ) of course too expensive for most people here. i  remember using chinese fountain pen, when I as a first grader, this is how we called it, chinese pen, sometimes chinese, sometimes made by local pen manufactureres, even kohinoor was making it, a very cheap and awful parker 61 clone.  but i dont know how it was back in 60s.

Since acquiring this pen, I've been doing some research into pens of the time and region. It looks like the Chinese Hero pens were a lot of what was available in the Eastern-block countries. So, my search for more pens will be challenging! Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: centropen, 100820, czechoslovakia

Sponsored Content

|