The fact that the autumn leaves are falling reminded me that I have Diamine Autumn Oak in my Lamy AL-Star Copper Orange FP and have not reviewed it yet. The pen has been filled for quite a while, so the ink may have darkened slightly but it's now a lovely autumnal colour. Not yellow, but a darkish orangey golden brown. It's truly an autumnal ink.

I've written with it on different papers to show you the effect on a paper you might have. My Tomoe River notebook has heavier TR paper in it. I think it might be 68grams, but I'm not sure of that.
These are photos not scans and have been corrected using Photoshop.

• This isn't sold as a waterproof ink,and shows no noticeable water resistance.
  • It exhibited very good flow and lubrication and I found it particularly smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
  • It exhibited excellent shading.
  • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
  • It's a reasonable price.

fpn_1521369568__diamine_autumn_oaka.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• lgsoltek

• migo984

• Jazini

Wonderful review. I have a mixed feeling about this ink: the colour of the ink when dried is quite pretty with lots of shading, but the colour when it's freshly written is rather revolting. It has a green tint to it that disgusts me. Luckily it dries to a much better looking orange.

Also concerning the flow, "It exhibited very good flow and lubrication and I found it particularly smooth to write with." I beg to differ: in my experience this is the driest ink I've ever used. Sahara kind of dry. It railroads even in my wettest vintage Waterman flex nib.

........]Also concerning the flow, "It exhibited very good flow and lubrication and I found it particularly smooth to write with." [/font][/color]I beg to differ: in my experience this is the driest ink I've ever used. Sahara kind of dry. It railroads even in my wettest vintage Waterman flex nib.

I agree. It's very 'thin', which makes it feel dry. The only ink I've used that's drier than this is Diamine Golden Brown.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Wonderful review. I have a mixed feeling about this ink: the colour of the ink when dried is quite pretty with lots of shading, but the colour when it's freshly written is rather revolting. It has a green tint to it that disgusts me. Luckily it dries to a much better looking orange.

Also concerning the flow, "It exhibited very good flow and lubrication and I found it particularly smooth to write with." I beg to differ: in my experience this is the driest ink I've ever used. Sahara kind of dry. It railroads even in my wettest vintage Waterman flex nib.

I wrote my review of it based on my own experience. My Lamy AL-Star absolutely loved it, and I had no problems writing with it at all. No dryness, no greenness. However, this pen has been filled with it since August.

Nice review and also a nice ink. But, I'm rather hesitant to say that I love the heck out of the colour for the silly reason that it just doesn't remind me of autumn at all. Yes, I know what leaves can look like at this time of the year and there are different oaks and various agings etc etc. The piles and piles I've raked together lately are all yellower and/or browner. Now, to get into apricots.........................

Mike :blush:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I wrote my review of it based on my own experience. My Lamy AL-Star absolutely loved it, and I had no problems writing with it at all. No dryness, no greenness. However, this pen has been filled with it since August.

I might get another bottle to see whether it's a batch thing. I got my bottle a long time ago.

I might get another bottle to see whether it's a batch thing. I got my bottle a long time ago.

Mine's more recent than yours & it is still very dry.

Edited to add: it still could be a batch issue. I've had occasional inconsistencies with Diamine

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Maybe you could try a sample first? Maybe Diamine have updated the recipe? It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility. Mine is a brand new sample from Diamine.

I know that some inks seem to write dry in Lamy Safaris and AL-Stars, but for me Autumn Oak wasn't one of them. :)

:D

I'm using Autumn Oak at the mo', and it's from the very first batch. Never seen any green...flows and shades nicely.

Wonderful review.

Nice review and also a nice ink. .........................

Mike :blush:

Another nice review, thank you.

Thank you for your kind words, and you're all welcome. :)

Maybe you could try a sample first? Maybe Diamine have updated the recipe? It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility. Mine is a brand new sample from Diamine.

I know that some inks seem to write dry in Lamy Safaris and AL-Stars, but for me Autumn Oak wasn't one of them. :)

I think it's time to check out more inks from Diamine!

• 2 years later...

Very nice review. In my experience it was one of the driest ink I remember ever using despite the beautiful colour, and I used my wettest pen.

I don't know what you have done to your Lamy Safari or how hard/slowly you try to write, but mine (all of them) do not produce such results: the ink is way too dry. It is very difficult to pair pens with such inks. a very very wet pen is absolutely needed. ditto Meadow, Sepia, Beau Blue etc, all the light-mid darkness inks of Diamine are so difficult to use in drier and finer nibs.

an otherwise beautiful colour.

Edited by minddance

Yes. Me too. I felt it was very dry.

Thank you for the review.

I can definitely see autumn colours in the sample you have shown but I accept that it's subjective.

Diamine do have a great range of colours. Are any of their inks waterproof?

Live life, not long life