Conway Stewart 85 Nib

s60m23

I have a very nice CS 85 "cracked ice" blue, which lately has been leaking around the feed, so I decided to take it apart. After a heart stopping few minutes losing the nib down the wash basin drain, and finding it after taking apart the trap, I want to change the nib. It is a number 3 14K gold, and a very wet writer. I would like a fine, so what is the general opinion - try and get a fine nib or try and grind the nib myself?

Nibs for CS seem to be rather pricey

post-118881-0-75687800-1478809766_thumb.jpg

post-118881-0-36081900-1478809778.jpg

Would of course also be open to a swop :-)

Marc

Edited by s60m23

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northlodge

• s60m23

• PaulS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finding a replacement should not be terribly difficult. You are correct in saying that purchasing a replacement nib is expensive, but (excluding any postage costs) buying a complete donor pen need not be excessively pricey. A black junker, with a usable nib, should be less than £20.

The difficulty in trying to arrange a swap is that your nib is very much the common one. Therefore you might do better to put it into the junker you purchase and then re-sell for £20 ;-)

Nice pen by the way!

Edited by northlodge

Thanks for the advice - good idea about looking for a junker! Do you know if CS actually made fine nibs for this fp?

Edited by s60m23

Off hand I wouldn't have thought that grinding to create a 'fine' point was for the faint hearted.......... I would imagine re-profiling was something that required skill and much experience - plus the obvious correct kit etc. to do the job - very easy to ruin a good nib.

I collect fewer CS than most other brands, but looking at the couple of dozen or so I do have they show nib imprint Nos. of 3, 3L, 4, 5, 5N and 5L (this last being very broad), and those designated specifically for Pitmans shorthand seem to be either 3 or 3L................ so despite the comment that it shouldn't be difficult to locate a fine, the reality appears to be that most CS pens are fitted with something other than a fine.

It also appears that nibs for some of the more desirable DURO pens were marked with the pen No. - I have a 58 nib fitted to a No. 77 herringbone pen.

Hope you can find one - and I'd imagine that a fine nib would carry either a No. 1 or perhaps 2, but I shouldn't guess, and again could be wrong.

Perhaps someone can tell us correctly what No. we would actually find on a CS 'fine' pointed nib. :)

quote .................. "Do you know if CS actually made fine nibs for this fp?" - very good question.

Edited by PaulS

cs nib numbering does not work this way.

The numbers generally refer to physical size, not whether F M or B.... but then there are numbers that kind of refer to model numbers (tho the 58 in a 77 shows that this is only a loose rule)

http://jonathandonahaye.conwaystewart.info/fpngallery/nibs.htm

is a very old reference source, but is still a good place to start to understand what fits where.

thanks for posting - very interesting, but it doesn't seem to get us any further forward and as you say it doesn't inform how a 'fine' nib is designated, so other than looking at a nib in the flesh, we are still in the dark - and the hand drawn pix of nibs I'd imagine are unreliable as to whether F, M or B.

Perhaps the o.p. is better off grinding his own, after all :D