Wyvern Model 202 B.f.

PaulS

I've no experience of dismantling Wyvern f.ps., but am aware that some of their models have left hand threads at the section/barrel junction.

before I end up with a mangled pen can someone tell me if the 202 is likely to be left hand, or is it typical of most f.ps. and is right handed?

thanks in advance.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• northlodge

• Cob

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done a few of these - a while ago. I recall that they are LH threaded. But go gently - just in case! A little dry heat from a hair-dryer can be helpful. Be careful not to break the little tube inside.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

thanks for that - I know that Marshall & Oldfield say that some models are L.H., but they don't seem to include the 202, so I was unsure.

I've already had the hair dryer on the pen couple of times and so far no joy, so will have to keep going, and will try L.H. with heat for longer - it wasn't a fortune to buy, so if it goes wrong not the end of the world - just that I hate mangling pens just for the sake of a lack of info.

Long time since I worked on a 202, but I seem to recall forming the view that the section / barrel do not come apart. Seems odd, and not sure how or why any manufacturer would do this.

The only other such pen I have come across that is like this is the MacCauley "So Simple" made at Newhaven

Edited by northlodge

Thanks - if this is the case, and since currently the button is jammed, then it's obviously not going to be a pen that can be used - it doesn't have a 14 ct. Wyvern nib, so whether this implies it was a cheapie to start with or that the nib has been changed at some time I've no idea. Looking on You Tube, there are a couple of tutorials where they speak of renovating the 202, but have to admit they don't discuss separating barrel and section.

The 202 could well have been Wyvern's bottom rung f.p. - others have higher but similar styles of model number i.e. 303, 404 etc., and these apparently do all disassemble.

Coming back again to Marshall and Oldfield - they don't mention the 202, but when discussing repair of Wyverns, speak of section/barrel separation being both push fit, and screw types of standard and reverse thread, but they certainly don't comment on any models that don't come apart.

It seems odd that a b.f./sac/f.p. - made in what was probably the late 1940s - early 1950 period - should have been produced with built in obsolescence - even the cheapest of Platignums had the ability to be taken apart - but as you say it's a very rare condition, fortunately.

I'll probably leave this one for the moment until hopefully I can settle the matter positively - anyway thanks again. :)

Edited by PaulS

quick up-date to say that the 202 does in fact came apart, and as suspected it is a L.H. thread - I used some non-slip matting and section pliers to get better grip and it worked. In fact it's a fairly well made pen - brass button, a three piece pressure bar and the breather tube as mentioned earlier.

Since the blind cap is a standard R.H. thread it is confusing to twist the opposite way to remove the section, but presumably there was a reason for this non-standard direction - perhaps Wyvern simply thought it less likely to come apart with normal use?

All I now need is an original 14 ct. semi-tubular Wyvern nib :D

Edited by PaulS