Newly Acquired Lj

corgicoupe

Well, I have said that my Esterbrook collection is complete with the six colors of the J series, but I had told my neighbor to call me if he saw any interesting fountain pens on his weekly rounds of estate sales. He didn't call, but bought a very nice copper Esterbrook LJ with a 2556 nib for $15. all it needed was a new sac, and I can do that repair. I must admit that this pen feels very nice in the hand, and I will have to watch that I guard myself against future LJ purchases.

(He also handed me a $15 Parker Parkette, but that needs a J-bar in addition to a sac. I think I can handle that, too. I had never seen a lever-fill Parker.)

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• estie1948

• Misfit

• corgicoupe

Congratulations! You certainly do have a nice neighbor. You can manage both repair jobs - no sweat. I prefer the J to the LJ or the SJ, but the LJ may fit your hand and writing style better. Enjoy!

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

You can never have too many Esterbrooks! Nice neighbor. I love both the J and LJ pens. Depending on how I feel, and how my hands are, I will switch from a full-size pen to a more slender pen at times. It always helps to have a variety to choose from.

I too generally prefer the J, but it's nice to have one LJ. The SJ would be too small for my hands. If I need another one, there's always MidnightPens. :D

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I don't think we can collect all the colors out there :)

I have seen blue Esterbrook J/LJ/SJ varies from dark (almost grey) to purplish blue. The same case as the other colors too.

It's truly amazing.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

I've said this before - I saw a lot of 36 Esterbrook pens on eBay in the past year. It was listed as 6 of each color. Aside from black, there were variants in shade of every single color, making it a lot of 30 distinct colors. Gotta love it!

You can never have too many Esterbrooks! .

I beg to differ:

ebay item; 232139710449

Near mint and only £70, it might be one too many ;-)

I beg to differ:

ebay item; 232139710449

Near mint but a broken jewel.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I beg to differ:

ebay item; 232139710449

Near mint but a broken jewel.

Some people, and many of them seem to collect on eBay to sell things, would not know the truth if it bit them. I love Esterbrooks and there are some rare ones out there that do deserve a nice price, but I cringe every time I see a nice Esterbrook of the common sort with some ridiculous high, many dollar price attached to it. Not long ago a Dollar pen sold for $128 and it was sold "as is"!

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Cool story. I recently got an Esterbrook that looks to be late transitional in gray. I almost won an eBay auction for an early blue version with the 3 lines in the jewel. For some reason I didn't want it enough.

My red Esterbrook is an SJ. I have the light brown or copper J, and a green transition (late) in the light green.

Now I think I want a blue one, but an LJ version. I don't have black or white, and no Dollar pens.

Posted Image

I saw an Esterbrook on eBay labeled as a transition version. It clearly had jewels on top and bottom. Priced in $30 range.

I got the gray transition (I believe) for $23 with shipping.

Posted Image