New Lamy 2000 - First Impressions

Midx

So yesterday I took delivery of my new Lamy 2000 - my first gold nib and first 'expensive' pen. I ordered it from Goulet Pens, all the way from the US, and it arrived remarkably quickly! The price that GP were offering was significantly less than anything I'd found in the UK, even adding in shipping, although I hadn't thought about the added tax I'd have to fork out once it cleared customs over here...

Once I started using the pen though, OMG! What a fantastic writer! I got the medium nib in the end - I would usually plump for a broad, but I'd read that the 2000 writes more broadly than others and I didn't want to go any broader than my TWSBI Vac-700, so I chose the medium. I was worried that I'd made the wrong choice until I started using it - it is slightly finer than the Vac, but not by much I think. It certainly looks wider than my Lamy Vista medium.

The 2000 is incredibly smooth and I already love writing with it! I'm looking forward to the Vac running dry, so I can make it my daily journal writer!

I have chosen Diamine Sargasso Sea to be the 2000's signature ink and a bottle should be arriving in a day or two. What a lovely rich, dark blue, without any grey or teal elements to it.

I'm happy! :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurcho

• rvthof

• WaskiSquirrel

• dadbar

Photos of it in action please :D

Yes please. We have a rule here at FPN: "Photos or it never happened!" ;)

Congratulations on what I think is a great choice. I have four pens bought new (three of them Lamy) and the 2000 is closely my choice among them if forced down to a single one, based on its combination of design, practicality, and writing pleasure. Mind you, I would be kicking and screaming as they forcibly removed my Imporium. :)

X

Congratulations! It's wonderful to find a pen that just clicks for you (no pun intended, Pilot VP fans) isn't it? The 2000 seems to be one of those pens that gets almost universal praise for its writing qualities and--good news--its durability. So this could be a long-term relationship, even after curiosity lures you into buying other pens.

ron

I recently brought out my Lamy 2000 from it's long - 5 or 6 year- hiatus. I had forgotten that I had but I am elated to get it back in the rotation. I agree with others who have sung its praises.

My first fountain pen was a Lamy 2000 with an extra fine nib, which I enjoy and will always hold a special place in my heart, but my 2000 with a medium nib is a pen I absolutely adore and love using as much as I can. Enjoy!

I also have the Lamy 2000 in medium - the black makrolon.

It is in my daily writer rotation almost all the time. I currently have it inked up with Iroshizuku take sumi. I just love how it feels - so smooth.

Powerful but understated.

I have the medium L2000 too. Wonderful writer. Many people mention of the narrow sweet spot due to the flat foot shaped tipping but it's not really an issue for me; this has an upside, however, giving a certain stubbish quality to one's writing, something I find rather attractive.

If there are negatives it's that the ink window is largely useless and it seems more sensitive to hand oils on the page than some others.

It's an iconic pen, and although the price range may be above what many people are willing to pay , it's still one thatshould be in every fountain pen lover's collection.

There is a reason that the Lamy 2000 is the only pen in my collection that is always inked. I love writing with this thing. Good to hear someone else finding the pleasure in this wonderful pen!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Congrats with your new beauty!
I'm in doubt about the nibsize: medium or broad or even a BB (turned into stub)?

Could you good people show some writing with the different nibsizes.

Thanks in advance

Rob

So yesterday I took delivery of my new Lamy 2000 - my first gold nib and first 'expensive' pen. I ordered it from Goulet Pens, all the way from the US, and it arrived remarkably quickly! The price that GP were offering was significantly less than anything I'd found in the UK, even adding in shipping, although I hadn't thought about the added tax I'd have to fork out once it cleared customs over here...

Once I started using the pen though, OMG! What a fantastic writer! I got the medium nib in the end - I would usually plump for a broad, but I'd read that the 2000 writes more broadly than others and I didn't want to go any broader than my TWSBI Vac-700, so I chose the medium. I was worried that I'd made the wrong choice until I started using it - it is slightly finer than the Vac, but not by much I think. It certainly looks wider than my Lamy Vista medium.

The 2000 is incredibly smooth and I already love writing with it! I'm looking forward to the Vac running dry, so I can make it my daily journal writer!

I have chosen Diamine Sargasso Sea to be the 2000's signature ink and a bottle should be arriving in a day or two. What a lovely rich, dark blue, without any grey or teal elements to it.

I'm happy! :)

Midx: The Goulets' customer service is well-known, and may be worth the customs hassle. But I wanted to add that you can get the L2K for a real steal in the UK sometimes, should you ever fancy a second one. I got mine last year or the year before for less than £90 from WHSmith online. (For non-British readers, this is an old, iconic high-street stationery chain in the UK.) They still do deals on the pen (and probably others), but you have to keep an eye out.

I bought an EF Lamy 2000 and was quite surprised to find that it writes more like a medium! At first I thought it was a mistake.

I'm getting used to the Makrolon finish. I have a matching ballpoint in African Blackwood.....wish Lamy would make the fountain pen with that same wood.

The Lamy 2000 metal EF and the Pilot Namiki metal elabo SEF are by far my favorites FPs and I can recommend them to anybody looking forvery fine fountain pens!

I use to say that Germany and Japan produce the best FPs in the world, and sometimes also the most expensive!

Well done on this pen. I keep returning to mine. The design obviously appeals to me, the size of the pen fits my hand well and I find the pen's medium nib a joy to write with: juicy and smooth.

There is a reason that the Lamy 2000 is the only pen in my collection that is always inked. I love writing with this thing. Good to hear someone else finding the pleasure in this wonderful pen!

Mine is always inked, too. Other pens come and go, but there never is a reason not to write with the L2K EF ... I especially like the way you can hold it in any position - there is no awkward section design to cramp your fingers

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 4 weeks later...

My 2000 Nakrolon is out of commission. The little black washer / o ring slid off the feed and down the drain it went.