The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Crown Netlifx Series: Fountain Pen Sightings

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 sanjinp

sanjinp

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 21:46

Living in Germany I have no idea about that series.....perhaps it will show up here next year, if it is and stays popular. Often enough we get an older English series.

Father Brown, The Midsummer Blues Murders, Upstairs-Downstairs and so on.

I don't watch much TV....history, archeology and boxing. The ones about the Tudors were good.

You can watch it in Germany now, but only on Netflix. 

Sponsored Content

#22 sail1942

sail1942

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 23:22

I noticed that the queen writes with a pen in a very upright position.

#23 GuttSchrift

GuttSchrift

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 19:19

This show should really be subtitled "All My Fountain Pens." We've been watching and just finished up the first two seasons. There are least one or two fountain pens in each episode. It's kind of exciting. And yes I spotted Churchill's Pelikan which didn't really make any sense at all! 

What I've seen on the Crown, unlike Call the Midwife, is that the pens while mostly all vintage, are not always "right" for the period. In another great show that was on the BBC, Call the Midwife, viewers saw the evolution of writing instruments the characters used pretty clearly. 

#24 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:12

I was alive and reading newspapers during and after World War II, and I'm not sure I understand that Winston Churchill would have seen any irony in using a Pelikan fountain pen. But it may be that heads of state have ideas (or are believed to have ideas) not shared by ordinary people who want a good product.

From both reading and personal acquaintance with magazine journalists, I can say that photographers went right on using Rolleiflexes and Leicas and Contaxes without regard to Germany's being an enemy state. A good product is a good product.

There were Americans who for a time hesitated after the war to buy a German or Japanese car. (Well, immediately after the war Japanese products were thought to be badly made. That perception changed, to put it mildly.)

But cameras? No. And fountain pens may have belonged to a similar category. Nor do I remember people staying away from Italian films or other cultural products after the war because of disliking Fascism.

On a somewhat related theme, FPN is repeatedly told that Che Guevara wrote with a Parker 51. He was hardly a well-wisher of what he saw as American imperialism, but that didn't keep him from using a good American pen. And I suspect that Indian nationalists before and after 1947 did not see very much irony about using English fountain pens.

#25 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• 2,889 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 18:48

Omigosh, now I have to rewatch the series.

And topic of this thread is brilliant.

:-D

Debbie

Trying to stop the action,  to be able to identify various FPs on The Crown season  #1 & #2 drove me nuts. 

The two series are worth a re-watch.

Enjoy.

tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#26 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,989 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:37

Now season 3 is out....

#27 debraji

debraji

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 18:32

I just watched "The Crown" Season 3 Episode 4, and near the end of the episode, the Queen was using a glorious fountain pen. It would be easy to identify if one were familiar with the pen: the camera lingered on her capping the pen in closeup. It was a rusty orange with, I think, a herringbone pattern: a substantial pen with gold furniture. Conway Stewart? Modern or vintage? I don't know at all, but would love to know if someone else does.

Edited by debraji, 03 December 2019 - 18:32.

#28 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,183 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 23:54

fpn_1575088740__screenshot-391.jpg

I believe this is the one.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#29 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 22:54

I saw this last night and planned to go back and have a close look, but didn't get around to it. While watching, I thought there was something quite distinctive about the clip, and there's a shot which briefly shows it in full. It's definitely not a CS clip.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#30 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 23:12

It's a Parker Challenger Herringbone Red

http://www.inkwell-p...Set-Boxed-1930s

https://www.reddit.c...m_season_3_ep4/

#31 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 23:28

That's a very nice pen.

#32 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,635 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:06

Prince Charles has my pen case ... Sonnenleder ... in one scene. Not chronologically correct, but a nice touch.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

Sponsored Content

|