The Crown Netlifx Series: Fountain Pen Sightings

spaceink

Anyone else watching the Netflix British Royals series The Crown? Am only a few episodes in and have already seen a burgundy Parker 51 and another that looks like a Parker Duofold but I couldn't be sure. Any others?

Edited by spaceink

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• Olya

• Kelly G

• sanjinp

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious. I've been watching the series and keeping an eye out for fountain pens, however, I'm too much of an FP newbie to be able to discern one pen from another.

Yes! I was watching the first two episodes and I also spotted the parker 51 :D. I wonder if we'll get to see other fountain pens.

Depends on how big their props budget is ...

ron

Yes -- Churchill uses a largish black pen, looks like it might be an Onoto (that would make sense, for sure). Queen Mary (played by one of my favorites, Eileen Atkins) also uses a fp as she drinks whiskey and gulps oxygen.

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Depends on how big their props budget is ...

ron

Its pretty big, reportedly the overall budget is 100 million US dollars, the second most expensive Netflix series in their history, and props appear to be a big part of that budget. I am a big Claire Foy fan, so I am excited to see her take on such a significant role!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I'm pretty sure I saw Churchill using a Pelikan in an earlier episode, which if I spotted it right is hugely funny considering the post-war anti-German sentiment explored in the show.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

A good piston pen is a good pen....they were not all the fiddling around with smaller loads caused by Swan trying to get around other patents that were more efficient. And the better, easier to fill Swan Lever pens were....'old fashioned' and lower class in they were lever fill and not button fillers.

So if a man has written many thousand pages (pre-war) with a good pen....that he knew was German when he bought it.....Churchill struck me as stubborn enough to keep using a pen broken in to his Hand that held a lot of ink.

He was at war with Germany, not Pelikan.

Living in Germany I have no idea about that series.....perhaps it will show up here next year, if it is and stays popular. Often enough we get an older English series.

Father Brown, The Midsummer Blues Murders, Upstairs-Downstairs and so on.

I don't watch much TV....history, archeology and boxing. The ones about the Tudors were good.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm new enough to fountain pens, that I can't tell what they are. I've watched three episodes and have lost count.

My wife and I are enjoying the series. I hope it continues.

Tom

Waterman Ideal - blue ink; Esterbrook 2048 - brown ink; Waterman Carene - black ink

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/CrazyVacationer/Pens/collection_sm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I saw Churchill using a Pelikan in an earlier episode, which if I spotted it right is hugely funny considering the post-war anti-German sentiment explored in the show.

i thought it looked like a Pelikan. tho' it looked like a newer model -M800 or like it.

There's a Parker IM in ep 4 at 6:38!! How very vintage!

hmm, i'll have to go back and check -my wife just finished watching the series, i only watched occasionally.

Yes, I spotted the Pelikan (ironic) and a bunch of Conway Stewarts here and there. The Parker IM was a bit jarring, wasn't it? Sloppy.

Ralf

Churchill's pen, at one point in the show, was definitely a Pelikan. It looked to be a 400 which would be appropriate for the time period of 1952 when he was writing his notes for a press conference on the "great fog".

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

My wife and I watched the first two episodes last night - the Parker 51 used by the soon to be Queen was easy to spot as they focused on it for quite a while. Churchill's pen wasn't so obvious but it certainly could be a Pelikan 400. I thought it looked a bit bigger though.

I get the feeling the producer of the series is a fan of old fountain pens.

It seems that for the most part, the props team is trying to be period correct.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Churchill definitely used a Pelikan in the show. My only gripe with that is that they gave him a German brand, and I doubt very much that he'd have used a German brand, no matter how much better a product they'd produced at the time.

They gave good attention to detail, eg Liz's P51, and I don't expect them to research which pen exactly everyone used, but even they should have realized that the enemy's brand would be a no-no and Pelikans are easily recognized because of the clip.

Unless Churchchill did in fact at some point use a Pelikan, then I stand corrected, but I never heard of that and I doubt it...

• 2 weeks later...

Watching it I'd have to say Churchill's pen in the second episode was a Parker Sonnet. I noticed it had a slip cap.

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."