The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Crown Netlifx Series: Fountain Pen Sightings

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:59

Anyone else watching the Netflix British Royals series The Crown? Am only a few episodes in and have already seen a burgundy Parker 51 and another that looks like a Parker Duofold but I couldn't be sure. Any others?

Edited by spaceink, 06 November 2016 - 06:00.

Sponsored Content

#2 treehuggerdcg

treehuggerdcg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:15

Hilarious.  I've been watching the series and keeping an eye out for fountain pens, however, I'm too much of an FP newbie to be able to discern one pen from another.  

#3 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:16

there a is a good reason to watch the series... ;)

#4 Heldin

Heldin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:02

Yes! I was watching the first two episodes and I also spotted the parker 51 :D. I wonder if we'll get to see other fountain pens.

#5 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,802 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 17:10

Yes! I was watching the first two episodes and I also spotted the parker 51 :D. I wonder if we'll get to see other fountain pens.

Depends on how big their props budget is ...

ron

#6 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 21:02

Yes -- Churchill uses a largish black pen, looks like it might be an Onoto (that would make sense, for sure). Queen Mary (played by one of my favorites, Eileen Atkins) also uses a fp as she drinks whiskey and gulps oxygen. 

Edited by tmenyc, 07 November 2016 - 21:04.

#7 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,872 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2016 - 21:14

Depends on how big their props budget is ...

ron

Its pretty big, reportedly the overall budget is 100 million US dollars, the second most expensive Netflix series in their history, and props appear to be a big part of that budget. I am a big Claire Foy fan, so I am excited to see her take on such a significant role! 

Edited by JakobS, 07 November 2016 - 21:16.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#8 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2016 - 16:03

I'm pretty sure I saw Churchill using a Pelikan in an earlier episode, which if I spotted it right is hugely funny considering the post-war anti-German sentiment explored in the show. 

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 16:19

A good piston pen is a good pen....they were not all the fiddling around with smaller loads caused by Swan trying to get around other patents that were more efficient. And the better, easier to fill Swan Lever pens were....'old fashioned' and lower class in they were lever fill and not button fillers.

So if a man has written many thousand pages (pre-war) with a good pen....that he knew was German when he bought it.....Churchill struck me as stubborn enough to keep using a pen broken in to his Hand that held a lot of ink.

He was at war with Germany, not Pelikan.

Living in Germany I have no idea about that series.....perhaps it will show up here next year, if it is and stays popular. Often enough we get an older English series.

Father Brown, The Midsummer Blues Murders, Upstairs-Downstairs and so on.

I don't watch much TV....history, archeology and boxing. The ones about the Tudors were good.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#10 tjchervy

tjchervy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2016 - 18:46

I'm new enough to fountain pens, that I can't tell what they are.  I've watched three episodes and have lost count.

My wife and I are enjoying the series.  I hope it continues.

Tom

Waterman Ideal - blue ink; Esterbrook 2048 - brown ink; Waterman Carene - black ink

collection_sm.jpg

#11 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 22:59

There's a Parker IM in ep 4 at 6:38!! How very vintage!

#12 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,632 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:23

I'm pretty sure I saw Churchill using a Pelikan in an earlier episode, which if I spotted it right is hugely funny considering the post-war anti-German sentiment explored in the show. 

i thought it looked like a Pelikan. tho' it looked like a newer model -M800 or like it.

#13 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,632 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:26

There's a Parker IM in ep 4 at 6:38!! How very vintage!

hmm, i'll have to go back and check -my wife just finished watching the series, i only watched occasionally.

#14 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:27

Yes, I spotted the Pelikan (ironic) and a bunch of Conway Stewarts here and there. The Parker IM was a bit jarring, wasn't it? Sloppy.

Ralf 

#15 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,446 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 19:00

Churchill's pen, at one point in the show, was definitely a Pelikan.  It looked to be a 400 which would be appropriate for the time period of 1952 when he was writing his notes for a press conference on the "great fog".

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#16 DebbieOhi

DebbieOhi

FPN Blogger

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 22:49

Omigosh, now I have to rewatch the series.

And topic of this thread is brilliant.

:-D

Debbie

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl - YouTube: @debbieohi

My FP blog (fountain pen comics and doodles): Debbie Ohi's Inky Journal

#17 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:54

My wife and I watched the first two episodes last night - the Parker 51 used by the soon to be Queen was easy to spot as they focused on it for quite a while. Churchill's pen wasn't so obvious but it certainly could be a Pelikan 400. I thought it looked a bit bigger though.

I get the feeling the producer of the series is a fan of old fountain pens.

#18 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,446 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 17:20

It seems that for the most part, the props team is trying to be period correct.  

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#19 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 800 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 19:12

Churchill definitely used a Pelikan in the show. My only gripe with that is that they gave him a German brand, and I doubt very much that he'd have used a German brand, no matter how much better a product they'd produced at the time.

They gave good attention to detail, eg Liz's P51, and I don't expect them to research which pen exactly everyone used, but even they should have realized that the enemy's brand would be a no-no and Pelikans are easily recognized because of the clip.

Unless Churchchill did in fact at some point use a Pelikan, then I stand corrected, but I never heard of that and I doubt it...

#20 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:55

Watching it I'd have to say Churchill's pen in the second episode was a Parker Sonnet. I noticed it had a slip cap.

Edited by benbot517, 21 December 2016 - 06:55.

"Oh deer."

Sponsored Content

|