Why Has My Waterman Suddenly Started To Skip?

lordfkiller

I removed the feed and the nib. I didn't soak the section. Since the next step seems to be soaking in ammonia solution, should I pull the feed and nib again? And if yes, is it necessary to soak the section too?

Seems as if you have done too much soaking, so leave the section well enough alone providing the interior is clean. Ensure the nib and feed are aligned perfectly before fitting them back into the section.

No fountain pen needs excessive flushing. I was using fountain pens before the Ballpoint pen became a reality. Manufacturers instructions suggested if a pen is in regular use, then all that is needed is just a flush once a week which should suffice. The same advice must apply to fountain pens being produced now because they all work on exactly the same principle as they have always done.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lordfkiller

• jar

• Erik Dalton

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You bring up some valid points pickwick, but we're still working on eliminating issues here.

For your info lordfkiller, with force, Bobo, pickwick and the other heavy hitters joining in here, you should have this solved in no time.

Since you have already done it, I suggest you take the nib and feed out, flush out the section and soak it with the nib and feed in your pen flush solution.

I say to flush out the section with water first, because they generally have a small reservoir to provide ready ink to the feed. If you put it in your flush without flushing you may have a very inky flush solution before you even get started.

Don't let inky looking flush throw you off. I have reused pen flush solution over and over again. Just make sure you rinse with water afterwards. Distilled water is best, but not an absolute.

I hope this does it for you.

Edited by Old Salt

I think you have cleaned it enough or you would have already seen/found the issue.

Put the pen back together and try a Waterman cartridge before going any further. The bottle ink may be contaminated and I don't like those modern converters you are using.

A few years back someone sold me a bottle of old stock Waterman Black (long story)...I used it once and it caused issues with the pen.

Many early pens had/have simple feeds with no or few feed fins. Later Waterman (modern) pens have very complex feeds that can be blocked and require long soaks or even ultrasonic cleaning to rid them of debris. I have soaked and flushed sections until no ink shows, then placed the section into an ultrasonic cleaner and ink reappears.

Once you have taken the nib and feed apart....a tooth brush works wonders...so a clogged 'feed' is eliminated.

I have used a sonic bath for cleaning pens (don't do that with '30's pens....and rubber can change color from what I read), sections and so on.....I would :angry: "assume" it would work with your pen in it is modern and not gold plated.....just don't keep it in there a real long time. 5-10 minutes.....better that a few times than trying to melt your pen with 30 minutes.

I have a one each pamphlets from the early '50's from MB and Pelikan......back then they were One Man, One Pen, used daily....filled perhaps once a day....or at least 3 times a week if used at work. The pamphlets both said, clean your pen every 3 months.

Constant refilling ....'cleaned' the pen for normal use.

And that was back in the day when IG BB inks were stronger than modern.

In we change inks often....just clean when changing inks, unless you are a One Ink, One Pen fella.

Thank you, Old Salt....I really don't feel like a Heavy Hitter. :rolleyes: :blush:

Everyone has some problems....one reads of others....sometimes one can actually remember 15-20%. :unsure:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think you have cleaned it enough or you would have already seen/found the issue.

Put the pen back together and try a Waterman cartridge before going any further. The bottle ink may be contaminated and I don't like those modern converters you are using.

A few years back someone sold me a bottle of old stock Waterman Black (long story)...I used it once and it caused issues with the pen.

Many early pens had/have simple feeds with no or few feed fins. Later Waterman (modern) pens have very complex feeds that can be blocked and require long soaks or even ultrasonic cleaning to rid them of debris. I have soaked and flushed sections until no ink shows, then placed the section into an ultrasonic cleaner and ink reappears.

I was actually going to ask that. I think I should get rid of this bottle of ink. I use it in other pens too and don't want to end up with the same situation.

So in your opinion, should I clean with ammonia solution before trying a cartridge or after (if it doesn't help of course)?

I just noticed the ammonia I have bought is already 1:10 (10%). When you guys said 1:10 solution, did you mean adding water to this? But that would make a 1:100 solution?

I just noticed the ammonia I have bought is already 1:10 (10%). When you guys said 1:10 solution, did you mean adding water to this? But that would make a 1:100 solution?

Yes, add water.

My Website

Force, have you ever put an Edson nib and section in an ultrasonic bath? Is it safe?

Yes, I have cleaned my 3 Edsons using a UB plus other Edson sections that I have bought and sold.

I replaced the ink from that bottle with a Waterman cartridge of the same color. Of course I flushed the pen first and made sure there wasn't any old ink left inside. So far, it doesn't seem to be skipping. But I don't like the way it writes and I'm not sure why. I think it's a bit too dry and inclined to starve. But I'll need to write with it a bit more to decide. Meanwhile, I'm ordering another bottle of that ink. I hope it hasn't damaged my new Lamy Safari. This probably explains why the Lamy didn't write well from the beginning.

So has anyone experienced this before? A genuine bottle of ink, bought from a reputable pen store and not off of the internet, clogging the pen?

I replaced the ink from that bottle with a Waterman cartridge of the same color. Of course I flushed the pen first and made sure there wasn't any old ink left inside. So far, it doesn't seem to be skipping. But I don't like the way it writes and I'm not sure why. I think it's a bit too dry and inclined to starve. But I'll need to write with it a bit more to decide. Meanwhile, I'm ordering another bottle of that ink. I hope it hasn't damaged my new Lamy Safari. This probably explains why the Lamy didn't write well from the beginning.

So has anyone experienced this before? A genuine bottle of ink, bought from a reputable pen store and not off of the internet, clogging the pen?

What kind of ink? What brand and color? Do you have the box it came in? Is there a date anywhere?

My Website

What kind of ink? What brand and color? Do you have the box it came in? Is there a date anywhere?

Waterman Mysterious Blue. I have the box. No date on the box or the bottle.

Waterman Mysterious Blue. I have the box. No date on the box or the bottle.

Well the new says it's the latest generation and that is a fairly wet and well behaved ink so that should not be what is clogging your pen.

My Website

I'm glad to see that you're making progress. You've done such a thorough job of cleaning, the only thing left was the ink.

Force: thanks for the info. I've bought pre owned Edsons and put them in the ultrasonic bath with no problem. Then, put a brand new Edson in a short ultrasonic bath and all the nubs with their tiny springs ended up on the bottom of the basket. Waterman wants $695 for a new section.

I'm glad to see that you're making progress. You've done such a thorough job of cleaning, the only thing left was the ink.

Force: thanks for the info. I've bought pre owned Edsons and put them in the ultrasonic bath with no problem. Then, put a brand new Edson in a short ultrasonic bath and all the nubs with their tiny springs ended up on the bottom of the basket. Waterman wants $695 for a new section.

Without wishing to divert this topic, there must have been an underlying problem/issue with the new section. Push Waterman hard on this.

Still it's not as buttery as it used to be - and I liked it better that way, even though it would bleed and feather on low quality paper. But I don't remember how it was with these cartridges to begin with. So I'm going to order a fresh bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue (from a different store) and see how it is with that.

I'm not going to try any more rough cleaning methods (aside from flushing it before switching from cartridge to the new ink). I did actually soak it in ammonia for less than an hour, but then I changed my mind and decided to try a different ink first. To be honest, I don't feel too good about trying something that, if damaged, will void my three-year warranty.

Still it's not as buttery as it used to be - and I liked it better that way, even though it would bleed and feather on low quality paper. But I don't remember how it was with these cartridges to begin with. So I'm going to order a fresh bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue (from a different store) and see how it is with that.

I'm not going to try any more rough cleaning methods (aside from flushing it before switching from cartridge to the new ink). I did actually soak it in ammonia for less than an hour, but then I changed my mind and decided to try a different ink first. To be honest, I don't feel too good about trying something that, if damaged, will void my three-year warranty.

If the pen is still under warranty why are YOU trying to fix it?

My Website

If the pen is still under warranty why are YOU trying to fix it?

If only we had known :rolleyes: BUT it may have been something simple. I certainly would not have pulled the nib in this case.

If only we had known :rolleyes: BUT it may have been something simple. I certainly would not have pulled the nib in this case.

I did actually say it somewhere in the beginning. Nevertheless, I just thought I'd try standard cleaning before sending it back and having to wait for at least a month. Besides, assuming the ink theory is true, they would have found no problem with it upon trying with their own ink.

What's the big deal about pulling the nib/feed anyway?

I did actually say it somewhere in the beginning. Nevertheless, I just thought I'd try standard cleaning before sending it back and having to wait for at least a month. Besides, assuming the ink theory is true, they would have found no problem with it upon trying with their own ink.

What's the big deal about pulling the nib/feed anyway?

Every time you pull a nib and feed you add unwarranted wear and run the rick of creating yet new problems. Even pens where it is easy to screw out the nib and feed were not meant as a way to clean the pen or as a general practice.

My Website