Sailor Ink Pen

artaddict

I received my Ink Pen from Jared the same day my Sapporo arrived. Considering I paid $5 for the pen & soup including S&H, I figure this pen cost me $3. This is my cheapest ever pen. How fitting that my most expensive pen to date is also a Sailor (Sapporo, about $100). Well for a $3 pen this writes pretty well. It writes a nice fine line, maybe a bit finer. The nib is stiff and reliable, toothy but not scratchy. I love having a pen like this that I don't have to worry about. It came with cartridges, the soup (which I haven't eaten yet), and as a bonus, a Japanese coin (thanks, Jared, I can use this at Narita or Osaka).

post-5533-1178821953_thumb.jpg

post-5533-1178821969_thumb.jpg

post-5533-1178821991_thumb.jpg

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• artaddict

• MYU

• QM2

• arbatrmwc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review of the pen. I'm waiting for review of the soup now :P

thanks, emil.

I received mine today as well, and I agree that it's a great pen. Sailor pens are wonderful no matter what caliber they are. I have the Owl resin Maki-e, the Sterling 1911, the Sapporo, the SuperScript art pen, and now this student ink pen -- I love them all. Thank you, Jared, for taking the time to send out these cute bundles of pens, soup and coins!

QM2

Edited by QueenMargot2

I received mine today as well, and I agree that it's a great pen.

QM2, you can review the soup!

can't eat it unfortunately, I am on a special diet -- I just wanted to collect it! :)

I mean come on, the very idea of getting "pen and soup" in the mail!

can't eat it unfortunately, I am on a special diet -- I just wanted to collect it! :)

I mean come on, the very idea of getting "pen and soup" in the mail!

Yeah that got me too. Couldn't resist. I'll eat the soup and report back.

While I didn't get any soup, I did receive 2 of these fine school pens. They are both going to people that have questioned my use of fountain pens and soon they shall be assimilated, er I mean users of fine writing instruments. On a side, I did try on and have to agree that they write very well.

Cool avatar, awannemacher! mesmerizing...

I tried the soup. Actually, it's quite nice. You'd be surprised to learn that the miso soup you get in restaurants is either made in large batches with pre-made miso paste and fresh garnish, or with instant ingredients. Much of the time it is instant, when you're not dining on a busy night. You can't really tell that this soup sent by Jared is instant. It's quite amazing how soft the seaweed becomes upon contact with the hot water.

I figured that a version of this soup should be available somewhere in my area. Sure enough, I lucked out in discovering a Japanese mall called Mitsuwa Japanese Mall. There I was able to find some nice instant miso soup with no MSG and made with non-GMO soy beans. It comes the same way--a freeze dried garnish and a miso paste packet. Very tasty. The only trouble with all of these soups is the high level of sodium. The lowest I've seen is 600mg per serving.

Oh yes, and I also attest to the pen's value. It's a firm slightly oblique fine stub and writes quite nicely. Definitely worth getting at least a couple.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 1 month later...

I lived in Japan for many years and got one of these pens at a hundred yen shop (the Japanese equivalent of a dollar store). Actually, this was the pen that got me into fountain pens! I do like the nib, but I have had a bad experience with the pen overall as it leaks through the thread near the grip. So I only use it as a dip pen now. But for something that costs a dollar, not bad at all! :thumbup:

I ended up buying a few more from Jared before he left Japan. I did notice that the nibs vary in size, without any marking on the package. Who knows why they aren't more consistent... unless it is intended as a "grab bag", or perhaps these are semi-reject nibs that weren't the right size for whatever pen was intended (and someone got smart about tossing them in cheap bodies to make a few more sales)?

Overall, the nibs are great. I sat on the beach writing with one and it didn't skip. It seems competent on different types of paper. The Pilot Varsity looks to be better made, but Pilot intended them to be used as disposables (but you can refill them by pulling out the nib assembly). You can't go wrong having one of these pens tossed in the bag or desk drawer as an emergency fountain pen. :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I got a couple of the pens (and soup) a few weeks ago. Finally got a chance to try out. Got a converter when I made an ink order, so I tried that too. A nice writing pen, very Fine nib. Noodler's Army Green works quite well. I'm not afraid to take this pen to town shopping, to class.

OK who's up for a trip to Japan to pickup more?

What a fun pen! Can't beat the price with soup! And a Sailor to boot!

I was at my pen repairers house this afternoon and he was showing me some of the pens he was working on for folks. He had this Sailor King of Pens! Wow what a huge pen! I think I would be far more comfortable with this nice little pen you guy picked up!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!