Sailor Sapporo

artaddict

My Sailor nib is not as wholly cooperative as my Pelikan, Bexley, or Pilot/Namiki nibs. Just a part of the nib personality I suppose. :)

Hmmm, interesting...I'll have to try both a Pelikan & a Bexley. Would a Pelikano provide a taste of what the higher models offer? probably not I suppose...

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• artaddict

• Phthalo

• jmkeuning

• QM2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

artaddict --

Once again, I cannot recommend enough the Pelikan M215 Lozenge. Having read many of your posts, I think that you in particular will like it. A glorious pen, both in terms of nib quality (mine is an EF) and aesthetically. I bought mine for $72 from Pam and it is probably the best quality/price ratio pen I own.

QM2

artaddict --

Once again, I cannot recommend enough the Pelikan M215 Lozenge. Having read many of your posts, I think that you in particular will like it. A glorious pen, both in terms of nib quality (mine is an EF) and aesthetically. I bought mine for $72 from Pam and it is probably the best quality/price ratio pen I own.

QM2

QM2,

the Pelikan M215 Lozenge is next on my list! I like that better than the M215 Blue w/ lines. It might be a while though, since I got sidetracked by the Sapporo.

I've got the Pro Gear with a medium nib, silver trim, and it's incredibly reliable. It can sit upright for weeks unused and it will pick right up and never miss a beat! The HM nib is very nice and smooth with perfect flow. If only it were a piston filler!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks, James P, Coco, Ryan, and everyone else. Glad you liked the review! Thanks for a great fountain pen, James P!

• 1 month later...

Can anyone let me know how this nib compares to my Lavy Safari EF (my only fountain pen)? I think that the Sailor Sapporo will be the pen that I buy next and I want to know about the nib. I like my EF Safari, but I could stand to go even finer if the pen still wrote well!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

The Sapporo certainly writes well!

A Sailor EF will be finer than your Lamy EF, but they write a little wet, so I would suggest a Sailor F to get close to your Lamy.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Can anyone let me know how this nib compares to my Lavy Safari EF (my only fountain pen)? I think that the Sailor Sapporo will be the pen that I buy next and I want to know about the nib. I like my EF Safari, but I could stand to go even finer if the pen still wrote well!

I have several Lamy Safaris with EF nibs, a Sailor 1911 with a F nib and a Sailor Sapporo with an EF nib. My F nib 1911 writes a bit finer than my EF Lamy, maybe 90% the width. My EF Sapporo is significantly finer -- maybe 70% the width. If you do want to go significantly finer than your current pen, you can be confident that Sailor is the brand to do this with without any problems. I would recommend the EF Sapporo if you want to be wowed, yet still be able to write in the same style as the Lamy EF.

QM2

Beautiful pen and a great review. I am a big fan of silver trim. A great pocket size too! As for the Pelikan M215, I second the kudos. I have the one with the silver colored rings - it writes fantastically and fits in any setting (like your Sailor).

By the way - what is the address of Phthalo's site??

By the way - what is the address of Phthalo's site??

I think it's:http://the-laurel-tree.blogspot.com/

link:

Pthalo's site

Edited by artaddict

I find that I don't really need another good pen besides the Sapporo.

Now I am more interested in vintage pens.

And I prefer gold nibs now. The steel nib of the Phileas doesn't feel so good anymore.

Edited by artaddict

I have a 215 as well - writes wonderfully, one of the smoothest nibs I have, though it required a bit of "surgery" when I first got it (the tines were too tight, resulting in skipping and insufficient flow in general).

Much as I like it, it somehow doesn't fit my hand 100% - some of the writing positions I like don't work well with its grip section. I still like the pen a LOT, though, and use it often. I especially like the Pelikan piston-filler mechanism, which holds enough ink to keep me happy, and has a (slightly) see-through aspect, so that I can know well in advance when it'll need a refill. Only the el-cheapo Wality piston-filler has a filling mechanism which approaches this (and maybe even surpasses it!) in usability. I wonder why other manufacturers don't adopt it more - I suppose out of a desire to keep the "cartridge" crowd pleased.

Beautiful pen and a great review. I am a big fan of silver trim. A great pocket size too! As for the Pelikan M215, I second the kudos. I have the one with the silver colored rings - it writes fantastically and fits in any setting (like your Sailor).

Great review of a very beautiful pen.

I've had a few Sailor pens - all with medium nibs - and I found that while their nibs were very smooth, they were a little sensitive to angle of attack. I'm wondering if I should try a Fine.

I just acquired a fine nibbed Sapporo and have been surprised just how fine it is, even more so than my Namiki Falcons. The flow is perhaps a bit greater than the Namikis, too. The Rhodium trim is gorgeous and I am totally sold on the look. The pen even for my small hand is a tad short so I must post it for good balance and to avoid cramping. I don't usually post so this is the only disappointing aspect to the Sapporo. Not enough to prevent acquiring another only next time it will be a medium that should do very well with my paler inks like Purple Haze and Shell Pink. :cloud9:

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Taki asked me how the fine nib of the Sapporo compares with that of the Pilot Prera - I told her the Prera is finer. That was before I changed inks. My Sapporo wrote thicker & wetter with Polar Black. Now that I have Brown Skrip in it, the line it writes seems about the same as the Prera with an ink mix of Saguaro Wine, Tanzanite, and something I don't remember...

Before I switched inks I had been thinking I could go for an Extra Fine in another Sapporo (perhaps the Mini). Now I will stick with Fine.

artaddict,

It's your fault :D ...well, not totally. I appreciated your review and ordered my own Sapporo w/gold trim & nib. Mine was a Fine also. Wow! What a nice writing pen. Even better than my fine VP. BTW, I decided to put some J. Harbin Blue Myosotis in it...very nice fine write. Thanks again for showing me all about this nice pen.

artaddict,

It's your fault :D ...well, not totally. I appreciated your review and ordered my own Sapporo w/gold trim & nib.

You're very welcome! :roflmho:

Hi great review. I am reading this only after buying the same pen. I was only intending to buy the LAMY Safari when I went into the store, but I just couldn't get comfortable with the angle enforced by the facets. In any case, I remembered reading somewhere that Sailor 1911s were great writers and decided to try one. There was obviously no turning back. I also tried the Pelikan M200 series, for their larger ink capacity, but the nibs were not as smooth. The Sapporo, tastefully un-Montblanc, was my final choice.

Anyway back to the pen, I realised only now that the anchor on my pen cap is not aligned. Is there any way to adjust this? Also, is there a difference between H-M nibs and M nibs? Or are all Sapporo nibs Hard? I noticed that yours was too.

The Sapporo, tastefully un-Montblanc, was my final choice.

Anyway back to the pen, I realised only now that the anchor on my pen cap is not aligned. Is there any way to adjust this? Also, is there a difference between H-M nibs and M nibs? Or are all Sapporo nibs Hard? I noticed that yours was too.

Good choice!

But I don't know about the H-M and M nibs...not even sure what they mean...

Don't think you can fix the anchor on the end cap. You could try an exchange at the store.

Great review Artaddict. :)

I love my Sapporo Mini with EF nib and I use it constantly. I might decide to get a full size one eventually since I love this one so much.

As for the nibs, H-M refers to 'hard medium' and S-M would refer to 'soft medium'. Mine is a hard EF and I haven't had a chance to try a soft nib yet. Would love to get a soft nib on another Sapporo as some flexibility and line variation would make it ideal for sketching with.

Edited by Penache

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Great review Artaddict. :)

I love my Sapporo Mini with EF nib and I use it constantly. I might decide to get a full size one eventually since I love this one so much.

As for the nibs, H-M refers to 'hard medium' and S-M would refer to 'soft medium'. Mine is a hard EF and I haven't had a chance to try a soft nib yet. Would love to get a soft nib on another Sapporo as some flexibility and line variation would make it ideal for sketching with.

Thanks, Penache!

I'm thinking of getting an EF. An S-M would be nice!