Sailor Sapporo

artaddict

Appearance/Finish

I received my Sailor Sapporo (fine nib) in perfect condition, sealed and in a box, with converter and cartridge. It is beautiful - classically elegant with understated black resin and silver rhodium trim. It has a silver cap band that says Sailor Japan Founded 1911, a nicely shaped and engraved silver tone 14K nib, and the anchor logo on the cap end. I think it looks perfect.

Size/Handling

The Sapporo is a bit short, about 4.3" uncapped, a respectable 5.7" when posted, and 4.8" capped. Below is a photo comparing it to a Waterman Phileas. Posted or unposted, it is nicely balanced for me - I have small hands but I don't like thin sections. The section is comfortably sized. Unposted, it may be too short for big hands.

Nib/Performance

This is without a doubt the smoothest nib I have ever tried! It glides across paper without being slippery. I barely need apply any pressure at all for it to write. It's not too wet or dry, but just exactly right. I can't imagine it getting any better than this. The fine nib writes a Western fine, even though it is a Japanese pen. This pen is such a pleasure to write with, and very easy to use, not picky at all about writing angle. It's perfect.

Conclusion

I love it! It's perfect! I won't be searching for another "ideal" pen for a while; I'll just shop for inexpensive ones for fun. I got this pen the same time I got the Phileas so I can't appreciate the Phileas as much. The Sapporo is just in a different class. I'm afraid it has spoiled me.

post-5533-1178820545_thumb.jpg

post-5533-1178820561_thumb.jpg

post-5533-1178820586_thumb.jpg

post-5533-1178820620_thumb.jpg

Edited by artaddict

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• artaddict

• Phthalo

• jmkeuning

• Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review, artaddict. I recently got a Sailor 1911, and I love the nib on that as well. The 1911 nib is very stiff; is the Sapporo nib also stiff, or is there a little bit of flex?

Don

Nice review, artaddict. I recently got a Sailor 1911, and I love the nib on that as well. The 1911 nib is very stiff; is the Sapporo nib also stiff, or is there a little bit of flex?

Don

Thanks! I wouldn't characterize it as stiff. It seems solid but not hard, if that makes any sense.

deleted duplicate reply due to Windows malfunction.

Edited by artaddict

Congratulations on the pen and the great review! I own a Sapporo in medium and I just got my spouse one in fine. I agree with you on several points. Wrt smoothness, both the fine and the medium nib put down a smooth line. I think part of the reason the widths seem closer to Western sizes is that the ink flow is on the wet side, which I happen to like.

I use the pen side by side with a Pelikan 6xx series, and in my hands the Sapporo has better balance when posted. It's a fantastic pen, and a great value.

Thank you for your fine review and pictures. I love this pen as well as some other Sailors, but haven't bought one yet--you're pushing me over the edge here :D . I'm so pleased that they offer it in rhodium trim. Great that the nib performs to your liking as well. Something else for me to drool over! I know what you mean about certain pens spoiling you. ;) Enjoy!

. Wrt smoothness, both the fine and the medium nib put down a smooth line. I think part of the reason the widths seem closer to Western sizes is that the ink flow is on the wet side, which I happen to like.

Is it considered wet? For me, it's just the right wetness. My Parkers are a bit too wet.

--you're pushing me over the edge here :D

he he he

. Wrt smoothness, both the fine and the medium nib put down a smooth line. I think part of the reason the widths seem closer to Western sizes is that the ink flow is on the wet side, which I happen to like.

Is it considered wet? For me, it's just the right wetness. My Parkers are a bit too wet.

It's just right for me too, but I can see how someone else might see it as too wet. My Sapporo lays down a wetter line than my Pelikan, so that is my frame of comparison. The great thing about the Sapporo, in my short ownership, is that the nib and ink feed look completely dry.

nice review! i have a couple of professional gear pens, including the mini that when posted (it actually screws onto the barrel) becomes a decent sized pen on the short side. I wonder if the nibs are similar for the prof gears and the sapporo?

Nice succinct review artaddict, I agree with most of your points. Unposted, the pen is half an inch shorter then the M200. I can still write with the cap unposted, but it is a bit too short for total comfort. With the cap posted, balance and length is excellent.

I have an M, and the nib is fantastic, a bit thinner then the M nibs I'm used to (Pelikan). I love the new Sailor designs. By chopping off the rounded edges on the top of the cap and bottom of the body and making them flat, they have elevated their design to a whole new level, as well as making them look less Montblancish.

happiness isn't caused

I have the 1911M and two Sapporo's - I couldn't decide between the regular and the Mini, so in a moment of madness I ordered both! I got the Mini with gold trim.

They use the same 14K nib and feed unit that the 1911M series does, and my three EF nibs are designated H-EF - for Hard Extra Fine. Sailor are 'wetter' writers when compared to say, Pilot pens, and this attributes to their legendary smoooooooothness. ;)

These are fantastic little pens for sure!

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Tried one and it is a smooth writer.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice succinct review artaddict

Thanks! I like that word, succinct.

Thanks also to jja, sharkle, chibimie, for liking my review!

Pthalo, I must admit I visited your site before buying!

:D I love my Sailor Sapporo with EF nib. It is my daily workhorse. Though it does not hold as much ink as Pelikan, it probably does not matter as i carry a bottle of ink with me at work most of the time. I do need to top it up once a day though, for the extensive amount of documentation i need to do everyday.

Nice review! You all know my feelings about Sailors! In case you don't, perhaps the best pen value in the industry today. I don't go anywhere without one.

James P.

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

• I got mine from Dennis at Parkville
  • It arrived and I did not like it
  • I put it on the bay but it did not sell ..(funny too coz all my stuff always sells)
  • Tried it again and realized I was a tit, it is a stunning pen.
  • The very next day I dropped it on the floor and bent the nib
  • Is repaired and back in my hands
Jeez ...talk about being scorned by a pen.

It is smoother than a Platinum, Namiki or Pilot, its small size is a lot of fun and is terrific to use un-posted.

The Sapporo is my favourite (I have to say this because it can see the PC screen from my pocket and I know it can hear my thoughts) ...Sapporo ..Sapporo ..Sapporo ..Nakaya :cloud9: ....No! No! :doh: ..Sapporo :wub:

Great review of a very beautiful pen.

I've had a few Sailor pens - all with medium nibs - and I found that while their nibs were very smooth, they were a little sensitive to angle of attack. I'm wondering if I should try a Fine.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

I've had a few Sailor pens - all with medium nibs - and I found that while their nibs were very smooth, they were a little sensitive to angle of attack.

This is so true! I feel the same way, but have been unable to find a way to express it in words. My Sailor nib is not as wholly cooperative as my Pelikan, Bexley, or Pilot/Namiki nibs. Just a part of the nib personality I suppose. :)

happiness isn't caused