The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Are The Parker Frontier Pens Sold By Amazon Really As Terrible As Their User Reviews Suggest They Are?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lordofnumpties

lordofnumpties

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2016 - 13:49

A lot of customers seem to be complaining about the ink flow. But I don't think most of them realize they have bought a fine nib(according to the website-not sure if it truly is a fine nib), which is a bit scratchy. Have any of you purchased one recently from Amazon or Flipkart? What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Content

#2 prashant.tikekar

prashant.tikekar

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:47

I have not purchased online but I do have a fine frontier manufactured by Luxor for indian market bought from store few years ago and I find it quite smooth and wet writing with parker quink blue ink. It is a much better pen for the price.

#3 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:24

I haven't bought online, but the Frontier was for some years the pen that accompanied me most of the time. I'm still fond of it. Maybe I got an exceptionally good nib?

Greetings,
Michael

#4 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:28

I have one British and one US Frontier from the late '90s or early 2000s, and they are fine pens.

I have one Luxor Frontier which truly had the worst nib in my collection of 50+ pens. The tines were pressed so tight it wouldn't pass ink at all. It took me quite a lot of work to get it going, and for the price, I could have had three Chinese pens of much better quality for the same money. I put about $100 worth of my time to get a $12 pen working.

Look around for one of the older British or US made pens, or even better, try and find a bargain Sonnet, the Frontier's big brother.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#5 lordofnumpties

lordofnumpties

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2016 - 14:44

Any idea where in India I could look for older pens? I'm pretty cautious about spending my money and not too enthusiastic about ebay.

#6 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2016 - 15:43

Any idea where in India I could look for older pens? I'm pretty cautious about spending my money and not too enthusiastic about ebay.

Depending on where you live in India, people might be able to guide you.

If you are in Mumbai, Hari's post will guide you through the Mumbai shops very well.

The Luxor made frontiers can be a hit or a miss. I have two, one of them is just as good as my UK made ones but the other came with the nib bent upwards. The QC is lacking on the Luxor made frontiers.

Edited by s_t_e_v_e, 07 November 2016 - 15:45.

#7 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:10

My Parker Frontier purchased via Flipkart had smooth Medium Nib...

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

wordpress blog | instagram | twitter

#8 IvoryParker

IvoryParker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:50

Namaste. I bought a Frontier made by Luxor online. The comaprator is a translucent one that I purchased in the early 2000s. I must say that the Luxor one is better thats my personal opinion

#9 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• 4,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:08

Namaste. I bought a Frontier made by Luxor online. The comaprator is a translucent one that I purchased in the early 2000s. I must say that the Luxor one is better thats my personal opinion

namaste...

congrats on ur purchase..

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

wordpress blog | instagram | twitter

#10 ak2k5

ak2k5

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2016 - 16:29

its hit and miss..i have one frontier with medium nib and it writes well with the correct ink..

have one vector gold and maybe its coz of the "fine" nib its pretty scratchy..i still keep it because that was the first pen i bought when i started reusing fountain pens.

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

#11 Mercian

Mercian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 18:14

I have two Frontiers with Fine nibs that were made by Luxor in 2016, and one Frontier with a Medium nib that was made by Parker in the U.K. in 2005 (at the time when the company was collapsing).

One of my Luxor Frontiers was bought through eBay.co.uk, my other Luxor Frontier was bought through Amazon.co.uk. One came from a seller who was in India, and the other from a seller here in the U.K.

I paid about £10 for each pen (delivered). I understand that this is about twice the maximum retail price in India (marked on the packaging as 500 Rupees).

BOTH of my Luxor Frontiers write a beautiful smooth wet line, and BOTH are made to higher quality than that to which my 2005 UK Parker Frontier was manufactured. The design has also been improved, in that their caps do NOT rattle, and the layer of rubber that was on the UK-made pen's grip section (which wears off in patches over time) has been abandoned. The pens now have a smooth plastic grip section that works just fine for me (and I have embarrassingly-sweaty hands).
Both pens came sealed inside their original packaging, AND included converters. These (slide) converters are also improved version of the slide converter that I bought in a bricks-and-mortar store here in the U.K. a few years ago.
So, was I 'lucky'?

In contrast to the other 'inexpensive' Parkers (Jotter, Vector, IM, & Urban), the nib units on Frontiers simply unscrew, so they are not only cheap to buy and easy to use, but they are also extremely easy to clean. Their wet line - and their ease of cleaning - make them perfect for use with iron-gall inks :-)

In my opinion, one can not, in the U.K. at least, buy any other fountain pen at this price that is as good as a Luxor Frontier.

TIYL AIIE
OMAAT

#12 Mercian

Mercian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 18:25

Oops! I have misled you - both my Luxor pens were made in 2015, not 2016 <facepalm>

TIYL AIIE
OMAAT

#13 lordofnumpties

lordofnumpties

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:52

I have two Frontiers with Fine nibs that were made by Luxor in 2016, and one Frontier with a Medium nib that was made by Parker in the U.K. in 2005 (at the time when the company was collapsing).

One of my Luxor Frontiers was bought through eBay.co.uk, my other Luxor Frontier was bought through Amazon.co.uk. One came from a seller who was in India, and the other from a seller here in the U.K.

I paid about £10 for each pen (delivered). I understand that this is about twice the maximum retail price in India (marked on the packaging as 500 Rupees).

BOTH of my Luxor Frontiers write a beautiful smooth wet line, and BOTH are made to higher quality than that to which my 2005 UK Parker Frontier was manufactured. The design has also been improved, in that their caps do NOT rattle, and the layer of rubber that was on the UK-made pen's grip section (which wears off in patches over time) has been abandoned. The pens now have a smooth plastic grip section that works just fine for me (and I have embarrassingly-sweaty hands).
Both pens came sealed inside their original packaging, AND included converters. These (slide) converters are also improved version of the slide converter that I bought in a bricks-and-mortar store here in the U.K. a few years ago.
So, was I 'lucky'?

In contrast to the other 'inexpensive' Parkers (Jotter, Vector, IM, & Urban), the nib units on Frontiers simply unscrew, so they are not only cheap to buy and easy to use, but they are also extremely easy to clean. Their wet line - and their ease of cleaning - make them perfect for use with iron-gall inks :-)

In my opinion, one can not, in the U.K. at least, buy any other fountain pen at this price that is as good as a Luxor Frontier.

Thanks for sharing. Based on what you've written, I'll give it a go and buy one soon-ish.

#14 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,079 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:11

The Luxor made frontiers can be a hit or a miss. I have two, one of them is just as good as my UK made ones but the other came with the nib bent upwards. The QC is lacking on the Luxor made frontiers.

Oh!. I bought a Parker Frontier used, I think it was from someone here on FPN, years ago, and its nib was upturned as well :headsmack: . I wonder if the seller got one of those and sold it to me? I hadn't been told ahead of time that the nib was not standard.

I posted about the Parker Frontier I got some time back here. There are photographs.

One FPN member liked the look of that nib and maybe you would like to contact that member.

Actually, here are a couple of photographs of what I got.

frontier_bent_nib_2.jpg

and

frontier_bent_nib_4.jpg

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Sponsored Content

|