Delta's "pistons": Actually Just A Captive Converter?

TassoBarbasso

Hi Guys,

I saw the pictures of the Delta Roma Imperiale demonstrator at this website and from what I can see, the piston system used by Delta looks suspiciously similar to a standard converter. Look in particular at the black plastic ring at the end of the reservoir, right in contact with the gold-plated metal part that houses the piston mechanism: it's virtually undistinguishable from any converter's.

On the one hand, this would be disappointing, and very cheap from Delta's side; simultaneously, though, I wonder why a company with a long history of experimenting with filling systems would resort to such a cheap trick. And on a demonstrator pen, for everyone to see... that sounds just stupid. But then, it would explain why the piston mechanism itself is, actually, not visible. Which makes the demonstrator rather pointless, and also conveniently hides the converter (if it is indeed a converter) from sight ;)

Does anyone have a measurement of ink capacity on Delta piston filler pens? How do they compare to a converter?

best,
Fabio

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by TassoBarbasso

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TassoBarbasso

• Contax1961

• FriendAmos

• Feanaaro

Looks like their normal converter, if they dont explicitly say it's a piston filler it isnt.

Delta isnt exaclty honest with a lot of their marketing even their normal converters is written so people would think it's a "piston filler", if you dont scroll down and read the whole thing you would just think it was a "removeable piston filler".

Eg:

Removable piston filler:

the pen has a ink converter usable like piston filler. Thanks to the rear cap screwable is not necessary to remove the converter to charge the pen
Edited by Alteyz

Didn't know that... well, that's not honest at all. But after all, it's the same company that gave us the fusion nib with all its glorious gibberishness, so...

Delta uses a screw in converter on many of their pens that you can access by unscrewing the lower cap/final on the body of the pen. I'm not really sure the benefit of unscrewing a cap compared to unscrewing the body. The converter itself screws into the grip section as well. I've had one or two that were difficult to remove that first time for cleaning. I hope this helps!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/scotkane/IMG_6626_zpsvid7jrty.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/scotkane/IMG_6627_zpsnoqn3alm.jpg

thanks a lot! It's sorted then, it's no "piston filler" at all.

Shame on Delta for the misleading marketing :(

thanks a lot! It's sorted then, it's no "piston filler" at all.

Shame on Delta for the misleading marketing :(

But it is a piston filler. That type of converter IS a piston device.

Some models have a captive converter, other models have an actual (built-in) piston, like the Dolcevita Stantuffo and others. You have to check model by model.

that's a common practice. Other manufacturers do it, too. And Delta states correctly that the pen is piston filling...

Greetings,

Michael

Only 25 made world wide.....I didn't know that and a piston filler to boot.....

And I'm sure Fast Eddie appreciates all the free pr.

Well done.

Fred

who is listenin' to {radio} I Can't Help Myself {Sugar Pie, Honey}

~ Four Tops

Some models have a captive converter, other models have an actual (built-in) piston, like the Dolcevita Stantuffo and others. You have to check model by model.

Yes, When I got interested it was really confusing. Their descriptions leave a bit to be desired!

Regards

Jeff

But it is a piston filler. That type of converter IS a piston device.

Oh come on :) There's no need to clutch at straws like that to defend a company. I think we can leave this to their PR office.

Delta uses a screw in converter on many of their pens that you can access by unscrewing the lower cap/final on the body of the pen. I'm not really sure the benefit of unscrewing a cap compared to unscrewing the body.

It makes people feel happy. When I got my Federico, I unscrewed the blind cap and felt happy to have a piston filler. Later on I happened to unscrew the barrel, found a converter, and didn't feel so happy. Now I usually unscrew the barrel to fill the pen, unless I want to feel piston happy, in which case I go via the blind cap. Nice marketing gimmick from Delta. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, it's a translation problem in the Italian converter is a "pistone" if you want the system to convertere you search for "stantuffo" Delta says this, only it is often mistranslated by the seller.

Here you see the differences in Frederick Delta converter pistone e stantuffo

ciao

Un istante ripetuto nel tempo diventa Eterno!

I was wondering if it might be a translation problem. Most of the English info I find on Delta pens that comes from Delta has various errors. Just today, the insert that came with my Amerigo Vespucci refers to the man as "It".

Personally, I think it's a good idea. The one pen can please some who want a piston filling pen and those who prefer to see if. the filled the pen completely or not and the repair is easier and less expensive if the pistion seals wear out. Would hold less ink though, I would think.

Both the piston and the converter function on the same mechanism, which would be called "piston" in English and "pistone" or "stantuffo" in Italian (they are basically synonyms). I am Italian and have never encountered anyone calling a converter "pistone", stantuffo is the common name for piston-filler, and it would be applied to the converter as well if one wanted to describe the mechanism rather than contrast it with the kind of pen where the piston is integrated. Most commonly, the converter would be either called convertitore, or even directly with the English name (see for example here: http://www.stilografica.it/ricambi/converter-meccanismi-6.htm or here: http://www.fountainpen.it/Sistemi_di_caricamento#converter )

They are synonyms but are not the same thing the piston is cylindrical part of stantuffo.Martemodena and Delta cover use them in fact so in a different way, converter is used as a piston to removable system while using the term Plunger for those with parts that can not be removed (as the Pelikan loading)

Modication: I add links to help

Stantuffo

http://www.martemodena.com/shop/dolcevita-federico/7427-delta-fountain-pen-dolcevita-stantuffo-federico-black-gt.html?search_query=delta+federico+stantuffo&results=3ke

Pistone/Converter

http://www.martemodena.com/shop/dolcevita-federico/7497-delta-fountain-pen-dolcevita-media-federico-angel-rh.html

Edited by Contax1961

I'm not saying that Delta and/or Martemodena do not do as you say, they do. What I am saying is that such way of speaking it's not particularly standard in Italian.

Both the piston and the converter function on the same mechanism, which would be called "piston" in English and "pistone" or "stantuffo" in Italian (they are basically synonyms). I am Italian and have never encountered anyone calling a converter "pistone", stantuffo is the common name for piston-filler, and it would be applied to the converter as well if one wanted to describe the mechanism rather than contrast it with the kind of pen where the piston is integrated. Most commonly, the converter would be either called convertitore, or even directly with the English name (see for example here: http://www.stilografica.it/ricambi/converter-meccanismi-6.htm or here: http://www.fountainpen.it/Sistemi_di_caricamento#converter )

Poking around Google, it appears that you are absolutely correct.

I'm not saying that Delta and/or Martemodena do not do as you say, they do. What I am saying is that such way of speaking it's not particularly standard in Italian.

If you read in the specific differences are explained, it is clearly written:

Filling System Ink converter usable like piston filler

Filling System Piston Filler