Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine

lgsoltek

I don't hate this colour: actually I think it's a complex rich colour in the splash. But in actual writing it becomes boring. And it's worse because this ink, while I can't say is dry, is NOT at all lubricating. The writing experience is rather bad because of the lack of lubrication. (I think we need a term to describe the opposite of lubricating.)

Splash

(It's pretty in the splash.)

fpn_1477998744__aquamarine-spl.jpg

Sample

(On white paper it looks bluer. On ivory/yellow paper as could be seen in the comparison below it leans more to green.)

(I later added Photo-Flo to help with the flow. The colour becomes more saturated. See the last two lines.)

fpn_1477998754__aquamarine.jpg

Compare

(on Tomoe River. The writing sample of Emeraude de Chivor is from fireant. I should note that her EdC looks greener than I remembered.)

fpn_1477998772__aquamarine-com.jpg

(on Maruman looseleaf. I'm so disappointed in Sydney Harbour Blue's horrible feathering.)

fpn_1477998763__aquamarine-com2.jpg

Edited by Lgsoltek

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• grainweevil

• sansenri

• taimdala

• DilettanteG

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like it. It does need a slightly broader nib than what I would usually use though due to the watery nature of it (how it looks rather than feels).

I don't hate this colour: actually I think it's a complex rich colour in the splash. But in actual writing it becomes boring. And it's worse because this ink, while I can't say is dry, is NOT at all lubricating. The writing experience is rather bad because of the lack of lubrication. (I think we need a term to describe the opposite of lubricating.)

I've never had a non-lubricated ink that couldn't be described as dry, but this was a fun exercise anyways. Potential words for the opposite of lubricating:

stiction-ing

dampen-ing

friction-ing

traction-ing

viscous-ing

tacky-ing

grip-ping

lubricannot-ing

Oh, this one was such a disappointment to me, A colour I like, and after the previous "Ink of the Year", Amethyst, I had great hopes. But like you, I've found it... lubrinotting (?). You're right, it's not that it's dry exactly, it just... drags. :unsure:

I'm loving this ink and pen combo myself. It was great with the fine nib, no issues at all. I just swapped in the stub nib this morning, and love the greater variety of shading I'm getting.

I have lots of notes to get down at work today, so looking forward to playing with it more. :)

IMO, an ink doesn't need to be so... moisturizing :rolleyes: if the nib is up to the job.

Edited by Inkheart

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thanks for the review. It's been a while since I used Aquamarine - I tend to choose iroshizuku ku-jaku which I find more enjoyable. Actually, one of the things I really enjoy with the Edelstein line is the anticipation for their next "ink of the year"... already eagerly awaiting the 2017 edition :-)

IMO, an ink doesn't need to be so... moisturizing :rolleyes: if the nib is up to the job.

As someone who likes Pelikan 4001 inks with no issues, what pen/nib would you suggest to me for this ink? Because I'm failing to find one thus far.

I have it in my pre-'97 Pelikan M250 "F", and it's been an excellent writing experience, no issues with lubrication (or lack thereof), and has beautiful color and shading. I can definitely recommend that pen-nib-ink combo.

As someone who likes Pelikan 4001 inks with no issues, what pen/nib would you suggest to me for this ink? Because I'm failing to find one thus far.

Pelikan M400 M with Aquamarine has more saturated line and shades better, compared with Aquamarine in TWSBI B nib, which leaves a bit paler line and here I would agree on lubricatnesless.

Personally I really enjoy this colour, but performance is best with Pelikan pens.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Thanks for the review.

I got a bottle of Aquamarine as swag in this year's Pelikan Hub, and was actually surprised that I liked it more than I expected to. It's not my favorite color ink by any stretch of the imagination, but it was less green leaning than I thought it was going to be.

Weirdly enough, the color reminds me of Pharmacist's Turkish Night IG ink.

I had it in my Lamy Safari, with an F nib, and while it wasn't exactly a gusher ink (yeah, it is probably on the dry side), it did flow reasonably well in that pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Personally I really enjoy this colour, but performance is best with Pelikan pens.

Sigh. I've only tried it in Pelikans, including a wet and springy BB; still found it draggy. Never mind, have Ilfotol, can use it.

• 3 years later...

I've never had a non-lubricated ink that couldn't be described as dry, but this was a fun exercise anyways. Potential words for the opposite of lubricating:

stiction-ing

dampen-ing

friction-ing

traction-ing

viscous-ing

tacky-ing

grip-ping

lubricannot-ing

How about "arid"?

Also, is it me or does the ink splash look like J. Herbin's Emerald of Chivor without the shimmer? Hmmmm ...

Great review, but it's right in that "not blue/not green" zone I really dislike.

that is more or less what I think of it too

Sigh. I've only tried it in Pelikans, including a wet and springy BB; still found it draggy. Never mind, have Ilfotol, can use it.

nice effort Mulrich, but I think draggy is the right term

Thank you for the review.

I got this ink with the aquamarine M200, which I like. Viceversa I don't like this ink so much. I've tried writing with it for a while, but it's far too greenish for my taste (or not green enough).

It is a bit draggy, but not in a totally unacceptable manner. In a wider nib it's not so bad, I used it for a while with a B nib and my main complaint was on colour rather than flow/dryness.

The more I used it the more I got bored or actually annoyed with it.

Soon afterwards it went into one of my ink mixes...

I've got it in my Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl with an extra fine nib. I think the "arid "Pelikan inks do best in the wetter, wider Pelikan nibs. That said, occasionally it will skip a bit on the down stroke, probably because it's my first fill of this new pen and I didn't bother to flush it out first. This problem seems to disappear by the second fill.