Inside A Desk Pen Holder?

corgicoupe

What does one find when removing the felt on the bottom of the holder? Can things be cleaned up?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corgicoupe

• Erik Dalton

• BamaPen

• ac12

Usually the base. The felt is there to protect a surface the base is placed on, for example the polished surface of a desk. If the original felt is still in good condition then there is no necessity to remove it.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Is there any way to disassemble it forcleaning? I think mine has ink leaked into it.

Robert Frost

The holder pocket that you put the pen into is held into the ceramic base with a clip, vs. a screw on other holders. So it is not too likely that the ink would have leaked through the holder pocket, unless it is cracked. If you don't see ink on the felt, ink probably has NOT leaked though. Though it may be hard to tell with the black felt.

The felt is glued on. If you need to remove it, just peel the felt off, to get to the inside. If the felt gets damaged, replace it with another that you make from felt from the fabric store.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

On many of them, peeling back the felt reveals the nut that hold the pen holder to the base. You can back this off, remove the pen holder from the unit and more easily clean them up.

In case anyone is wondering what they will find...

fpn_1478030817__esterbrook_desk_set_003.

The spring clip is a bit tricky to remove. It's spring steel, so don't bend the ears too much.

Robert Frost

Thanks. I would have preferred seeing a nut instead of a spring clip. I wonder if there is a way to modify the holding mechanism?

Robert Frost

Thanks for showing us the results! Can't see where a different hold down system would work with that base.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The outside of the cup is not threaded, so the clip seems to be the only way to hold it in.

The clip makes for easy and fast manufacturing.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I guess its like making sausage. We never know what's inside our stuff until we take them apart to save them. Then find that someone took a short cut while making it.

The spring fastener lasted this long. what plans do you have for the rest of it. Are you going to polish or paint it?

Be careful to put a very even layer of glue between the felt and the base. I replaced the felt on a base once using a glue gun. The glue held The felt just fine, I thought I'd be able to put it on a flat surface and flatten the soft glue out. It stiffened quicker than I anticipated to where you could feel the raised lines of glue under the felt.

Not a big thing. Just bugged me..lol..

Be sure to show us the finished product..

use celluloid glue

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I just used self-stick felt, and kept the spring clip, assuming I won't take it apart again.

fpn_1478286339__esterbrook_desk_pen_001s

fpn_1478286383__esterbrook_desk_pen_002s

And now it looks like this:

fpn_1478286433__esterbrook_desk_pen_004s

Robert Frost

Yep. I've already had it for 50 years. It came with the desk I was assigned in the x-ray lab in grad school.

Edited by corgicoupe

Robert Frost

Great job! Looks great. Mine has ink-stained felt. But, as the ink that is staining the felt got there when I spilled ink on my desk rather than anything to do with the desk pen or holder and since I seem to continually spill small amounts of ink on my desk from time to time, there would be no worthwhile reason for me to replace mine. Yes, it is a lazy man's reason/excuse and it is mine, but there is just a tiny hint of logic in it, isn't there?

Again, you did a great job!

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Mine was stained and ratty looking. But another motivation was that the plastic tube and the Esterbrook-engraved bezel were loose. If I hadn't considered an alternate, I could have simply pressed the spring clip down more firmly. That would be my suggestion to others with this problem.

Robert Frost

• 3 months later...

The rim of the black cup in one of my Estie bases has cracked and broken off so that most of it is gone. Does anyone have a salvaged cup in good condition? I'd like to make this base more useful.

John

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

ac12 may be able to help.

Robert Frost

ac12 may be able to help.

Unfortunately, ac12 "cannot receive any new messages" on FPN. I guess his inbox is full.

Maybe he will see this post and contact me.

John

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp