The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Deatramentis Pearlescent Inks - Brilliant Violet

deatramentis pearlescent shimmer sparkly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2016 - 17:47

Dr. J. has developed a new line of pearlescent inks.  I received samples of Brilliant Violet with each of the four "sparkly-effects":  bronze, copper, gold and silver. 

fpn_1477693537__bv_all_-_rhodia.jpg

DeAtramentis Brilliant Violet, dip pen, Clairfontaine paper

Photos taken with iPhone

For this "mini-review" of these 4 samples, I have used a Venetian dip pen and a Chinese M&G fountain pen with medium fude nib.  The fude nib allows for thick or thin lines depending upon the angle of which the pen is held. The papers I used included Clairfontaine, Tomoe River and Cambridge spiral bound notebook paper.  

Overall, the ink flow was excellent.  The ink itself is a highly saturated color with some water resistance. There was very little feathering on the inexpensive notebook paper, but the ink bleeds through on the notebook paper and the Clairfontaine paper, and even the Tomoe River paper when used heavily.  For me, however, this would not be a problem, since I would likely only be using this ink for special occasions and would not write on the back of the page anyway.   The ink did need to be agitated frequently to see the full effect of the sparkles. All of the four "sparkle-effects" were quite nice.  The most pronounced effect came from the Gold sparkles, which I used for the rest of this review.   

fpn_1477693546__bv_drops.jpg

Drops on standard paper towel

fpn_1477693560__bvg_close_up.jpg

DeAtramentis Brilliant Violet Gold, Chinese M&G with fude nib, Tomoe River cream paper

fpn_1477693574__bvg_real_close.jpg

DeAtramentis Brilliant Violet Gold, Chinese M&G with fude nib, Tomoe River cream paper

I left the ink, undisturbed, in the pen for a couple of days, then began to write.  The Chinese M&G pen does have a history of starting hard when not used regularly.  But the ink flowed immediately from the nib.  There was also no sign of clogging or "nib crud".  The ink does require agitation to re-suspend the sparkly particles, however.  

fpn_1477693492__bvg_cbs_ibc_-_notebook.j

DeAtramentis Brilliant Violet, Gold, Cyan Blue Silver and India Blue Copper ink, Cambridge spiral bound notebook paper

I love the color of the ink with the copper sparkles, but all of the sparkles compliment the ink very nicely.  And as a wonderful bonus, cleaning the sparkly ink from my pen was fairly easy - as easy as an highly saturated ink.      

This ink is made by DeAtramentis, and is worthy of that illustrious name. 

Edited by DrPenfection, 29 October 2016 - 18:30.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:51

Here's some sample (ink splash + writing and macro close-up) of the ink.

fpn_1483001412__bviol_is.jpg

fpn_1483001433__bviol_c.jpg

fpn_1483001455__bviol_c2.jpg

#3 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 23:29

WOW, those are awesome pics, Vis.

Dr.PenFection, this is a great review. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#4 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,796 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 17:54

I received a bottle of this ink as a gift, and, having read a review that said it is challenging to clean out, I decided to try it in a Dollar 717i pen.  (This is the same pen in which Noodler's Kung Te Cheng behaved beautifully.)  The first line after inking was rich in color and lubricated in feel, the second was less saturated, and by the fourth line the pen stopped writing.  I flushed out the pen and inked it with something else.

I'd be interested in hearing more reports of pens in which this ink behaves well.  In the meantime, I think I will reserve it for use with dip pens.  

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2018 - 20:35

I used it in a drier writing pen and the next ink still has glitter.  However, I do like it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#6 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,796 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:12

Indeed, it seems to work better in a drier pen.  Right now I have it in my Kaweco Sport F, and not only is it flowing consistently, but it makes the Kaweco nib feel much wetter and smoother!    

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deatramentis, pearlescent, shimmer, sparkly

Sponsored Content

|