Spencerian Script Examples

gmm213

Im not sure if this is the right place for this but I felt it fit best. I am looking for anyone that would be willing to mail me examples of handwritten Spencerian Script. I am looking to teach myself (unfortunately there are no classes in my area) and would like examples to refer to on top of the instruction materials that I will use. Anything from quick notes to novels. Anything would be be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

pic-postcard-exc.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rednaxela

• Inky.Fingers

• Beauport

• gmm213

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A google search will bring up many examples which may help.

post-131820-0-90684400-1478197543_thumb.jpg

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

Check out the iampeth website. IIRC, there are various manuals which can be downloaded as .pdf files, although I don't remember offhand if there are any which are specifically Spenserian.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Beaufort that's English Round hand by John Bland.

Better to search archive.org

https://archive.org/details/TheoryOfSpencerianPenmanship

Don't get too excited about flexing nib on fountain pen. Use a proper dip pen. Unless, you like to learn Business Spencerian. Which is beautiful.

Beauport, one of the first things to look at when identifying Spencerian is the shading of the downstrokes. When every downstroke in a script is shaded, it is not Spencerian.

The only Spencerian derivative I know of that shades all downstrokes is the so-called Sign Writers Script, but as the name implies, this was not intended for handwriting purposes, and you will only see it in headings and the like. I am unaware of any sample of body text fully done in this style.

It is most unfortunate that the otherwise wonderful Art of Manliness article on penmanship displays your image as an example of Spencerian. I know this may come across as hair-splitting, but please believe me it is not. Not only does it look different, but the entire technique to produce it is different as well. Most probably it wasn't even written with a steel pen but a quill of some sort. _InkyFingers might be able to confirm.

Anyway, not to tell you off of course, but just to provide some background info. Hope it is of interest.

~ Alexander

_Inkyfingers gave you the link to the best book for learning Spencerian. Here's the second best, also useful:

https://archive.org/stream/SpencerCompendiumOfSpencerianOrSemiAngularPenmanship/Spencer%20-%20Compendium%20of%20Spencerian%20or%20Semi-Angular%20Penmanship#page/n31/mode/2up

For me, it was better to use a fountain pen to learn the letter shapes, and then later to use a dip pen to learn the shading. That's what worked _for me_, but you should do what works for you.

HTH,

DB

Beauport, one of the first things to look at when identifying Spencerian is the shading of the downstrokes. When every downstroke in a script is shaded, it is not Spencerian. ......

I should have known better to trust a Google search alone to locate a true example. Thank you and InkyFingers for pointing out the misidentified script.

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

No ...you introduced a most beautiful script...which I adore very much. Yes, Alexander is correct. It was written with a quill, broad cut. Amazing flexible quill, can't reproduce it by any fountain pen...God knows I tried.