Lamy Safari Great Find Or Fake?

emmawood07

Is this pen real or fake? I found it while cleaning a desk at work, everything says it's real but my concern is on the nib, doesn't have any logo engraved or number. Here are some pics, thanks a lot!

post-132619-0-57356400-1477614805_thumb.jpg

post-132619-0-16263600-1477614970_thumb.jpg

post-132619-0-21650600-1477615018_thumb.jpg

post-132619-0-99297300-1477615057_thumb.jpg

post-132619-0-40072900-1477615098_thumb.jpg

post-132619-0-29390900-1477615132_thumb.jpg

post-132619-0-16361100-1477615222_thumb.jpg

Edited by emmawood07

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emmawood07

• pen2paper

• rwilsonedn

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well first let me say :W2FPN:

As for the pen, yes it's a real one, A Lamy Safari in charcoal. .

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Welcome to FPN.

Here's an older post of someone asking a similar question. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302181-unusual-lamy-nib/

That is: Why does my Safari, which I picked up somewhere, not have size markings and a logo on the nib.

Edit again: So, I was surprised to find out to what great extend fake charcoal safaris are actually an issue. Who would have thought? (Once you think about it, it makes more sense)

Anyway, there are fakes out there, but having a highly detailed fake and then not putting any markings on the nib seems absurd, and thus this does not seem to be among the telltale signs of fake safaris.

Hope this helps and that you will greatly enjoy your new pen.

Edited by mike.jane

From the pictures the pen certainly *looks* genuine - the lack of markings *could* be a feature of an older nib, I don't know the brand's history well enough to say - but on my newer black nib (for a pen with reliable provenance) the brand name and sizing are painted on rather than etched - so it's entirely possible they could rub off without affecting the plating on the nib.

I've had Lamy nibs with no markings on them, made years ago...that is, well before Safaris began to be counterfeited.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Well first let me say :W2FPN:

As for the pen, yes it's a real one, A Lamy Safari in charcoal. .

Thank you! Love the color

Welcome.

Looks good! Does the end say Germany or W Germany?

It should clean up just fine.

Yes, it says Germany pretty clean. Hard to see in pictures but there it ispost-132619-0-13703000-1477628571_thumb.jpg Edited by emmawood07

Welcome to FPN.

Here's an older post of someone asking a similar question. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302181-unusual-lamy-nib/

That is: Why does my Safari, which I picked up somewhere, not have size markings and a logo on the nib.

Edit again: So, I was surprised to find out to what great extend fake charcoal safaris are actually an issue. Who would have thought? (Once you think about it, it makes more sense)

Anyway, there are fakes out there, but having a highly detailed fake and then not putting any markings on the nib seems absurd, and thus this does not seem to be among the telltale signs of fake safaris.

Hope this helps and that you will greatly enjoy your new pen.

Well it is a very good pen, I never write whit a pen like that before. That is something I was wondering, seems like an older Safari model but it is so comfortable and smooth. Thanks!

From the pictures the pen certainly *looks* genuine - the lack of markings *could* be a feature of an older nib, I don't know the brand's history well enough to say - but on my newer black nib (for a pen with reliable provenance) the brand name and sizing are painted on rather than etched - so it's entirely possible they could rub off without affecting the plating on the nib.

That is a good reason, I found that pen on a drawer full of nails, screws and dust at work while cleaning and could belong to a guy who always clean it

Hi emmawood07, If you are still reading this, your Safari would really benefit from a clean.

All that is needed is to put the whole of the front section as it is, without the cartridge, into a pot of water, leave it overnight, then change the water, leave it again.

Fold up a paper kitchen towel to make it about 4 layers thick, and put the nib on it, top side down onto the paper, and leave it for half an hour. Then plug the cartridge back in, then the barrel, and test.

Also it would be worth getting some new cartridges for it, with this brand only LAMY cartridges and converters fit it.

A good design of fountain pen, and a good 'find' too.

Hi, the first thing is to learn to hold a fountain pen behind the big index knuckle like a fountain pen and not like before the knuckle like a ball point.

Fountain pens are held at 45 degrees right after the big knuckle, 40 degrees at the start of the web of the thumb or 35 degrees in the pit of the web of the thumb...what ever you are comfortable with.

You should hold the pen lightly....for a number of reasons. One, it lets the pen rest where it wants too....45-40 or 35 degrees. Two, the less pressure you use, the easier it is to use a fountain pen.

If you hold it like a ball point, you plow a furrow in the paper and have very little ink....so you press even harder.

If you hold like a fountain pen, there is a little half ball under the tip of the nib, that makes a nice little puddle of ink the nib tip floats and skates on....so no pressure is needed to write.

:) What you think is little pressure is probably too much. :rolleyes: That's ok, it took me ages to get my Hand light. I had to get into bird handling to get there. B)

You should hold the fountain pen behind the big index knuckle as lightly as if it was a featherless baby bird....it will write very well.

Do Not Make Baby Bird Paste! :angry:

The Safari is a Large but light pen....so you can post it if you wish....put the cap on the back of the barrel and push it on gently....but firmly. The pen will sit lower in your hand....see if you like it that way....see if you like it with out the cap on.

A Safari has three little indents in the section so you can properly place you fingers for a classic tripod grip.

Ball points are like plowing the south forty with out the mule. :wacko: So you are use to using mountains of pressure to make one of them work. You need to think of the Safari as that featherless baby bird....because if you press it like a ball point....you will get the 'Death Grip'. And instead of the fountain pen writing effortless, you will become fatigued just like a ball point. = no fun. :D

There is a bit more arm movement in writing with a fountain pen than with a ball point which is often just a finger writer....cramped fingers at that.

There should be some one around real soon to give better advice of how to have arm and shoulder motion to your writing....

better than my advice of letting your elbow float.....and move your arm from your shoulder.....sigh...can't give advice on what one self don't do well. :(

First though hold the Safari like a fountain pen....and it will write pleasantly well.

If you notice there is no ball point coms. :P Ball points are not made for fun. :happyberet:

We are here having fun with different width and flexes of nibs, and we have a 64 crayon box of inks.

Eventually you will need laser paper, 90g out side of Rhoda which is good at 80. There are vivid supersaturated boring monotone inks....and two 'tone' shading inks.....and inks with sheen.....I favor the second, have not got enough into the third but one needs the first one too.....and a nice paper. :huh:

It's lots more fun scribbling on good to better paper than the cheap stuff. :rolleyes: It's not a boring work only ball point that they made so much cheap paper for.

Normal copy paper is a bit poor and laser jet paper is a no no.

Remember LA was not made in a Day.....and we are all here having fun, and there is not a single test to be had.

We all start or 98.2% of us start out 'noobie' we help happily :happyberet: ....and remember we want you to have fun....just like us. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Real or fake--who cares? If you are enjoying the pen, then it is a real good fountain pen, whether it was originally made by Lamy or under license to Lamy or by a counterfeiter. Since you didn't buy the pen as an investment, the only thing that matters is whether you enjoy it. And clearly you do, so congratulations, and don't worry about it!

ron

• 10 months later...

Hi, I also have an old Lamy like that only that I have it since the early 90s and I had bought it myself in a legit shop down the street. It looks very similar to yours and I've used it since and still use it. Never fails to start and as you can see I've never babied it too much. (but should - I know)

post-139238-0-76769700-1507118266_thumb.jpg

post-139238-0-58033500-1507118274_thumb.jpg

post-139238-0-90810100-1507118282_thumb.jpg

post-139238-0-56999100-1507118303_thumb.jpg

post-139238-0-07152000-1507118318_thumb.jpg

My old Safari i used in school ( goes to 30 years old now) also has a nib without markings, and the rest looks also similar. The cap has a metal screw to hold all together, if yours have that too i would assume it is original.

Is this pen real or fake? I found it while cleaning a desk at work, everything says it's real but my concern is on the nib, doesn't have any logo engraved or number. Here are some pics, thanks a lot!

While I was at William Penn in India the Lamy AL-Star had an unmarked nib.

So..... You stole someone's fountain pen, that maybe the other person stole the tester version from the shop?

If I am right they you stole a pen from the one who stole it?

Either way finders keepers. And, it is a Lamy safari so who cares.

Thanks for sharing your "old reliable" safari Jasi. Same refill and go story as my old red. :-)

When reading the original 2016 post, I replied from the perspective it was a found pen and either kept with a clear nod of permission from original owner, or the original owner passed on with clear permission to keep remaining found objects in the clean out. My reply did not convey I was supporting obtaining without permission or "finders keepers". Even the most humble object can have great sentimental value. Once I'm gone, the well-used Cross Solo ballpoint, (given to me by a former student), can go to whomever finds it useful. But until then, for someone to just walk off with it would be a sad loss - it represented the glowing generous heart that made the gift.