Which Inks Do You Not Wish To Acquire?

lapis

Pelikan, Pilot Iroshizuku, Montblanc, Lamy, Parker and Sheaffer. Some of these I didn't really like and some have changed their formulation and I don't like the current versions.

I had a number of problems with Private Reserve inks, including slime and mold, so I won't buy them again.

Parker Penman Sapphire. I found that I had a bottle of this stashed away. I don't remember thinking it was anything special when it was on the market, and it doesn't appeal to me any more now. (No, don't ask me to sell it. I have nieces and nephews that are becoming interested in having nice pens, so maybe one of them will appreciate this bottle of "legendary" ink at some point.)

I won't buy any more inks made in China. They grow mold better than old cheese.

I only use Japanese inks in modern Japanese pens. I only use Noodlers inks in Noodlers pens. (I really like some of the Noodler's inks, but I only use them in a pen that I can easily completely disassemble and clean if I need to.) I have one pen that is dedicated to iron gall inks.

Waterman inks write well, but the colors don't do much for me, so I probably won't buy any more. I only like one color (Bleu Nuit) of the J Herbin inks, and don't like their 1670 inks at all. I might buy more of the Bleu Nuit some day, but it's not high on my list.

Mostly what I use are Diamine inks. Some are dry, but I use them in those of my pens that tend to write a bit too wet and that works out well. I think they make a number of very usable inks for everyday use.

I tend to stick to blue or blue-black inks, but sometimes use black, brown or green. I also like Noodlers Purple Wampum every once in a while. I'm not a fan of the various yellows, oranges, reds, or pinks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• Mew

• lapis

• migo984

As a relative novice in the world of pens and inks I want to ask about Private Reserve. I bought a bottle of the DC Supershow Blue 2 months ago and it has performed well in all 3 pens and frankly I like how it writes. I noted above a number of folks may have had issues with Private Reserve and I'm wondering what these may have been? Was I fortunate in getting a good one? I'm not buying more inks than I currently own until I know them all reasonably well, but from my single experience with the PR Supershow Blue I might consider them unless there's more I should know. Thanks.

I, too, bought a bottle of DC Supershow Blue a few months ago. I've used it in several pens and have had no problems of any kind with it. I wasn't aware until now that Private Reserve was having quality problems. I love my DDSSB!

Will also mention that I've not had any problems of any kind with the two Diamine Shimmer inks that I've used, Magical Forest and Night Sky. I only use them for special occasions and don't leave them in pens for more than a few weeks, but they clean very easily imo. I use them with 1.1 stub nibs.

Inks I don't wish to acquire would include inks that are said to be dry, colors that I don't like or that appear washed out, and for the most part, Noodler's inks. I use Heart of Darkness for check writing, but in general Noodler's inks are the only ones that have ever clogged any of my pens. Not a huge problem, but other inks don't do it at all. (I also disliked those awful white plastic bottles.) Diamine and Iroshizuku are my favorite brands.

Interesting topic.

I see no reason for me to have more than the 1/2 bottle of Pelikan Black that I've had for the last 7 years.

Anyone who uses a shading ink...light ink in an EF or XXF....gets what he deserves....faint ink. One needs the super vibrant hurt the eyes inks for them narrow and super narrow nibs..

I don't like BB inks....have no idea why I have 8 of them.

I have no problem with Pelikan except for the Royal Blue...fading.

I've nothing against a dry ink....got wet pens.

Soft is not wet...for Edelstein....some are fine, like Topaz, others are mediocre like Jade.

Don't care for Ink of the Year ....but I keep my eye open.

Lamy Green barely beat out Diamine Green Meadow. Sandy and others are right...Lamy Green is horrible.

Lamy Turquoise is a basic ink one needs...shades on 90g paper, not on 80.

I have nothing against murky green....but was too 'noobie' to know about shading murky green of MB Racing Green. Back then all MB products were hated except the empty bottle.

I do regret buying a few of the LE's...in one reviewer's reddish brown is my red.

Seaweed didn't fake Racing Green as well as all wished. How odd how the most hated ink in the world....Racing Green can become the most beloved ..... overnight.

Meisterstuck Blue Diamond is good. I've 5 MB colors that are OK.

DA inks...one has to be sure before, if it is a shading ink or a saturated non-shading ink. Rather expensive for 35ml. One has to check double....is some 'famous' name ink...what in regular ink.

I like Herbin....it's shading ink. If one likes Noodlers vivid monotone inks....stay away from shading inks.

R&K = good ink. Old Goldgreen has to grow on you....lots. One needs to search for far away papers to get one for it.

There is one more Noodlers ink I want. I have two...Apache Sunset...and Golden Brown which takes the full of a next sheet to be dry enough to write on the back of the first sheet.

I have enough Euro inks to match those Expensive imported Noodler inks.

I don't want to learn Japanese....and am always happy when some one tells me...my ink I have is just like an expensive Japanese ink I don't have.

Diamine/Akkerman (slightly different..same maker)...feather too much. I do have a paper for E35 for 50 sheets that don't feather with Diamine/Akkerman.....got to order some....Christmas??

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Colours:

No Pink, even if Fuyu Gaki could be considered one.

No purple, but burples can be great like Asa Gao and Ajisai.

No sparkles / disco inks (but hey to each his own).

Brands:

No Noodlers: Wouldn't buy from a brand that named an ink Napalm, just as I wouldn't buy from one that called an ink 9/11.

No Montblanc: brings up images of ignorant politicians, too expensive, and if I happen to like an ink it probably won't be available in the future.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell