Modern "big Red"

antichresis

http://www.tylee.tw/image/cache/catalog/product/%202016-7-10%2016%2020%2039-500x500.jpg

Hi guys, I saw this pen while looking around T.Y. Lee. An officemate is visiting Taipei soon and I was wondering if I should ask her to get this for me?

I haven't seen any reviews of this pen so I want to know if this were any good (if at all), or if it's just a fancy looking Vector. Have you tried one?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• usk15

• ac12

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Does "not quite a Parker" mean it was not made by Parker? I like the look of it and would definitely get one if it appeared in this vicinity.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

I booted-up Google Translate and it does appear to be the 70s-80s "Big Red" pens converted to a Fountain Pen. I really really like how it looks, but without firsthand information it is a bit of a gamble. I'm not even sure what converter would fit, or if the nib is quality.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

It is a Parker, made by Parker, but it is design as ballpoint and rollerball. I have some of them converted to fountain pens:

This one is with a Cross medium nib

14747963543_ec311ebe4e_c.jpg

This one with TWSBI 1.1mm stub nib

26937776281_42218148a3_c.jpg[

Yes, converted from a Felt Tip (Touche) or a Ballpoint, it looks good. But not quite a PARKER with a non-Parker nib (and a non-Parker section?).

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes, converted from a Felt Tip (Touche) or a Ballpoint, it looks good. But not quite a PARKER with a non-Parker nib (and a non-Parker section?).

Well... they're Frankenpens now, but looks good, feel good and write well!

I have one of the Big Red rollerballs. Is there a Parker nib/section that can be used to convert it to a fountain pen?

I made one of these with a Cross Solo section and the 18K rhodium plated nib from a Parker Sonnet. It has worked well for a couple of years. It uses the green Cross converter. fpn_1382901891__bigred1166.jpg

fpn_1382901920__bigred1167.jpg

Thus.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I understand that the Cross nib is made by Pilot, so not a brand-X nib.

You can do it yourself, just get the 2 pens; Parker Big Red ball pen + Cross Solo fountain pen.

I made one, and the good thing is that the threads of the Cross section matches the threads of the Big Red body.

You get the look of the Big Red, with the convenience of a cartridge/converter.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Another section that will fit into Big Red bodies:

Parker IM FP

Pilot Metropolitan & 78G

- there is a Rosetta section with JoWo nib, but not sure which one...maybe for Coronado...

Using the Parker IM fountain pen section would keep it all Parker and not so franken.

It was kind of a shame to take the Solo section, because they are one of the better pens at the price. Definitely better than some Parkers.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I have one of the Big Red rollerballs. Is there a Parker nib/section that can be used to convert it to a fountain pen?

I'm not sure about the rollerball version, but for the ballpoint model a nib unit from a Sheaffer No Nonsense screws right in!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I'm not sure about the rollerball version, but for the ballpoint model a nib unit from a Sheaffer No Nonsense screws right in!

Thanks for the tip! Good options to try out in this thread.

What about the converter? Does that fit? Ah, wait, the NoNonsense section must fit into a Cross Solo. A three-way interchange, or a cluster-something.

Edited by pajaro

No, I'm afraid that they don't. I have a roller ball with the widgets that let you use a BP in the pen, and neither the converter nor the section will screw in.

The later ones with chrome clip and no cap band were sold as advertising pens. I have one of the originals that I bought in 1972 and dragged through college. I also have a NOS stock one in the box that I just picked up. I remember reading the ads thinking,"I'd like to have one of the Big Reds, but I bet they're long gone." Little did I know....

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I tried screwing the NoNonsense section into the Parker Big Red. It does not screw in, unless you force it, risking damage.

A quick snapshots with Big Reds and Parker IM & Pilot Metropolitan sections:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2wqwvvl.jpg

With Parker IM fine nib

http://i64.tinypic.com/14kiogx.jpg

With Pilot Metro medium nib

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lm0xl4.jpg

Sorry for bad pictures, but I didn't have time to set properly...