Cleaning Ink Off Binde?

inkstainedruth

I have a vintage (1950s era) 400. I took it with me when I went out to the Pacfic Northwest, and apparently didn't have it as full as I thought. Because it burped into the cap with the change of pressure on the flight.... Ink was Edelstein Tanzanite, BTW.

So I have tried taking a wet cotton swab to it, now that the pen is flushed out, and had a tiny bit of luck (with a lot of elbow grease). But because it's an older pen, I'm a bit nervous about more aggressive measures.

It was clearly from what was inside the cap, as you can see from the photos of where the ink ended up:

fpn_1477443463__img_0418.jpg

fpn_1477443496__img_0420.jpg

Short of what I've been doing already, any suggestions would be welcome (I wasn't sure whether using ammonia solution or soapy water would be safe for the binde).

Thanks in advance.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA -- sorry for the size of the images

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• inkstainedruth

• joss

• Bo Bo Olson

Boy I'm hesitant to talk in absolutes here. If it were mine, I think I'd start with a water/dawn solution with an old 't' shirt type rag. Then work your way up to 1:10 ammonia, dawn and water solution. I think I would stop at that. Nothing stronger. Take your time, repeat the operation, Rinse well after each try with water, and let dry.

Its had a lot of use, and the surface has become porous. The ink may be well entrenched in the nooks and crannies and take several cleanings.

After you get it clean, a good coat or two of Renaissance wax would add some surface protection and make cleaning easier.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

You can safely use a diluted ammonia solution on the binde of the Pelikan 400. But as Old Salt already suggested: rinse well afterwards. I would avoid prolonged (eg overnight) soaking of the complete pen as that can lead to colour changes of the black (or brown in case of tortoise pen) parts of the pen.

I understand that the ink is at the outside of the binde. Apart from the ammonia solution, you can also try to remove it with a polishing cloth.

Ink can also diffuse between the binde and the transparent barrel. Such ink residues are quite difficult to remove.

Edited by joss

Thanks for the information guys. I knew I could count on FPN to give me good info.

I will try the dilute ammonia solution first (just rubbing it in with a cotton swab), and then see how that goes. This may also be the time to break down and buy a package of sunshine cloth....

Where does one get Renaissance wax? Do you think someone will have it for sale at the Ohio Pen Show next month? [Yikes! For "next month" read 2-1/2 weeks..... :o]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Renaissance Wax has turned into a no no...many museum's now having major problems with it.

Pure....not blended carnauba wax might well be the way to go.

Some folks don't like any wax....but if the pen is not cessian(sp) '30's milk plastic it should work just fine.

I'm not so picky,,,,but do wax my pens.

It is some six long miles to where I can buy some....and always forget when I do get in the neighborhood. To drive that far just for one little item is $oolish.

Even though due to the Arabs breaking the Fracking Industry and the price of gas cheaper than it has been in ten years....(still not as cheap as US gas)..... :gaah: gas is expensive has been burned into my mind. :wallbash:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Do your own research on the wax. Whichever you use make sure the bundle surface is well dry before applying wax.

Definitely start gentle and work your way up as already suggested. Water and then a dilute ammonia solution. Patience and persistence is the key here. Soaking the pen can result in serious issues so don't do that for a prolonged period. Hope that you're able to get it cleaned up. Good luck.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

We are all cheering you on Ruth and waiting for the news that it came off.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Mark Hoover has announced a gentle but effective ink remover (he calls it his "de-inker"). http://www.lbepen.com If it works as well as his hard rubber de-oxidizer, we should be very glad. Mark can be hard to get ahold of, so be persistent.

Another recommendation has been https://www.amazon.com/Koh-I-Noor-Rapido-Eze-Pen-Cleaner-bottle/dp/B000KNNI24.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

I have something similar on a green Estie J. Lysol wipes have helped with some things like this for me without damaging the item (pen/other)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain