The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Relocating A Mabie Todd Swan "2" Nib

mabie todd swan nib

4 replies to this topic

#1 Gazcom

Gazcom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2016 - 23:49

Hello everyone,
I've got a problem with a pen I recently restored, I don't find it confy enough to be used regularly and I want to place the nib on another pen in order to use it on daily basis. The pen in question is a Mabie Todd Swan self filler, with a gold swan 2k nib. I don't know if this topic is misplaced, if so I apologize, but I would really appreciate if someone in the community could give me an advice to get the full potential of this nib on another pen.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

• WP_20161026_01_29_56_Pro (2).jpg
  • WP_20161026_01_31_39_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:43

I'd go for it. I bought a Wahl desk pen so I could transplant the adjustable nib onto my Doric ringtop.

Don't think of it as vandalism; think of it as making it useful.

#3 Gazcom

Gazcom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:08

I'd go for it. I bought a Wahl desk pen so I could transplant the adjustable nib onto my Doric ringtop.
Don't think of it as vandalism; think of it as making it useful.

I agree with you, a pen is nade to be enjoyed and so its nib. This pen has cap problem and I don't feel safe bringing it around, even if I fully restored the filling mechanism. I'm just willing a pen able (possible for little money) to handle the nib with a good flow, or both the nib and feed.but actually I haven't found any :(

#4 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2016 - 18:46

It's a big deal to me, since I like to wear and use my ringtops. I've bought a few full-size pens to transfer their nibs onto ringtops.

#5 Gazcom

Gazcom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2016 - 00:10

I don't have many vintage pens, just this one which I adore. I put really a lot of effort in restoring it on my own, but it isn't enough for being used on daily basis. The cap doesn't screw well on the barrell and does not close securely, really don't know how to fix it, gold plating worn off here and there... 
The mechanism is fine, it fills up, I replaced the rubber sac, no issues. But this nib that I've adjusted is so smooth, so flexy that is really a waste on that old body, deserves a new place to shine and begin a new life...  Maybe I've misplaced the thread, you think it would be better for me to move it on the Mabie Todd research group?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, swan, nib

Sponsored Content

|