Parts Pen Builds

Inkedinker

I am a huge fan of nice, new, restored and original things. But I also have a Frankenstein side to me that equally loves things put together that work but may not look the best. I picked up a Waterman 32v and didn't realize (don't look) but t has a Pelikan cap. There are a few other issues with the pen as well, so I plan on reviving it as a Franky pen.

Anybody else have a few of these laying around?? Something that just fit together that you just went with?

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inkedinker

• pajaro

• Kelly G

• dadbar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a lovely old Wearever Deluxe in brown striped celluloid with a much better than the original Wahl Eversharp Skyline nib.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

It's not always possible to get original parts, and it's fun tinkering, so I've brought back a few from the pen cemetery.

I have a lovely old Wearever Deluxe in brown striped celluloid with a much better than the original Wahl Eversharp Skyline nib.

I regularly use Chinese nibs (from eBay) to replace the nibs in pens with damaged/broken nibs, and they write great.

Not authentic but makes a great writer out of a pen that otherwise would not write.

Lever filled pens with missing sections get replacement sections from whatever pen that happens to fit.

How about mixing up pen colors; Parker 45 with a grey section and dark red barrel. Jin Hao 599 with red cap, white barrel and blue section. Sometimes the color combination looks better than the original 1-color pen.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Parker big red ballpoint missing section, plus a Cross Solo section and green converter plus a Parker Sonnet 18K nib:fpn_1382901891__bigred1166.jpg

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

That's awesome!! A direction I haven't thought of but now opens a new direction! I have a few nice higher quality ball point I'd like better as a fountain pen.

It is fortuitous that the Cross Solo section threads into the barrel of the Parker Big Red ballpoint. You might find other pens that will take another pen's fountain pen section. A number of rollerballs can be converted to a fountain pen. Usually you have to rremove an insert from the barrel of the rollerball (insert holds rollerball refill into the section). Then you should change the inner cap if necessary.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Interesting topic - here is a pen that was totally compiled from the parts box which I call the "Park Blanc".

- name engraved 51 barrel (interesting fellow served in the Navy during WWII);

- bent clip on bead blasted stainless steel cap;

- clear blind cap;

- newly constructed vac filler unit;

- special extra broad nib - writes like a dream...

Several other jewels can adorn this cap - including a .45 lead slug - but that's a whole nuther story...

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Park%20Blanc_zpszvk3ua1g.jpg

thanks for looking - ralph prather

That's pretty! So far the closest I've come with my eBay lots was a Wearever (not sure the model) with a no name section/feed/nib. I had to shave the section a few thousandths of an inch to get it to fit in there but the pen is so pretty, I had too. I am waiting for a nib order to come in and then I'll dip run it. I'm looking to run a really flexible nib. Actually almost thinking I might run a Zebra "G" nib (for Manga illustrators) to get that super swoopy look. Only issue I can see so far is using a lot of ink and having to go super slow.

I love Frankenpens. When I have meetings with customers or collaborators I don't know very well, I always take Frankenpens. It makes it easier for me to make sure I don't take someone else's pen (or vice versa).

Here are 3 of my favorites-

Cross Townsend in gunmetal grey with a Gold cap (my old company gave out about 40 of these as project rewards so having a different cap was "clutch")

Parker 75 Gold crosshatch with a brown lacquer body (the gold body with gold cap is just a little bit much)

Dunhill Silver Gemline with silver section and nib from a Montblanc Noblesse- the stock 14K gold medium nib for this pen is a very smooth writer but this OB Montblanc nib is in another astrosphere for smoothness. The perfect pen for signing documents.

post-126538-0-15638200-1477951291_thumb.jpg